Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2016, 05:49 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Lots of Mini Problems on first big trip

I live around the Raleigh, NC area; decided to make a 1800 trip from Zebulon, NC to Asheville, NC, Nashville, Memphis, Atlanta area and then home.

I have a 2000 Allegro Bay, 34 ft. Here are my problems. The left rear lift did not come up the last night, the window on the driver side, the left and right mirror, the back up camera stopped working, the electrical steps have a mind of their own and work when they want to. Other than this, things went great.

I had the fuse replaced enroute and the mirrors, window, etc. worked for awhile. I guess I will put it in the shop and let the experts work on it.

Any ideas?
shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2016, 09:22 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
So sorry, your post is a little confusing..... could you narrow this down for us?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:03 AM   #3

1800 trips is alot. The list of problems encountered seems reasonable.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:16 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
One 1800 mile round trip
w2drfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 08:03 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to the moho world!!!!

It is a complicated machine with many systems. Sounds like nothing unusual to me.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #6

I, too, have had a LOT of little issues with our 2016 Allegro Bus. None show stoppers, but all very annoying. Toilet not flushing, engine brakes not working, leaking windows, busted engine access door struts, and overheating electronics. Minor things like exterior lights not working, leaking storage compartment doors, squeaky interior, and poor-fitting slide seals are also on the list. 68 problems so far and counting. Some are repeats (leaking windows, slide seals, and squeaky slides for example). I'm currently corresponding with Tiffin on "how many problems are too many?", but so far their answer is "you are still under warranty". True. With a 90-mile round trip service call after virtually every vacation. My last two motor homes were no where near this buggy. ...and one was an early Allegro.
Hope our experience is not the norm. I would expect a full systems checkout before the product leaves the factory. Perhaps ours is a "Friday build".
AZJeeper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Mirrors and backup camera might share a common circuit. Check your wiring fuse block. Replacing the fuse confirms the commonality; perhaps the wired connection to fuseblock is the problem? A multi-tester would come in handy.
The inoperative jack might be due either to grit on the ram ,or, a controller issue [did you go thru the manual's trouble-shooting checklist?] This is the first place I'd start. There are fuses on the controller board. If hydraulic, it might be a solenoid needing replacement.

The Powered steps have a magnetic door position sensor that is inside the coach on the floor. See if it has come un-anchored and movable. That might explain your on-off erratic behavior,...Another thought: check the grounding wire to the steps. A semi-solid grounding will work one day and not another.

FWIW: Don't just blindly take it to the tech. Do some checking so that you can be better informed of the operational aspects. You are less likely to get shafted and will have a self-help mentality should problems arise happen out in the boondocks.
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:03 PM   #8

First off this is a 16 year old unit. If you haven't replaced belts on the engine and radiator hoses that really should be done. Also, have someone check the age of the tires even if they look ok. Transmission probably needs servicing. Better to have service done at home and not break down on the road. Dave
Old 10-19-2016, 05:33 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Drive 'em, Fix 'em: Drive 'em, Fix 'em.
Rinse & Repeat
spinroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:39 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would recommend you sell the motorhome and never buy another one if you can't fix these problems by yourself. Even doing your own maintenance it can be a challenge to own a MH. Every trip creates a new problem. Your repair shop is gonna get rich if you can't do the repairs yourself. It can be a very expensive hobby to own a MH.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:37 AM   #11

You should be able to find several local independent rv tech's. Try a couple on small jobs and keep having the one you like best continue to work on your MH. Probably more people using MH's that can't repair them than people that can.
Dave
Old 10-25-2016, 09:55 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I think with each trip knowledge is gained and small repairs become common place...everyone starts somewhere. Enjoy the road and don't sweat the small stuff!

Tags
ems, problems