Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2014, 09:37 AM   #1

Loud slapping/rattle coming from slide rollers?

2012 36la with 18' room slide. Most coaches make all kinds of sounds related to bouncing a home down the highway. This random stuff doesn't bother me. It's this constant loud rattle clap that we determined is coming from one slide roller area. We can stuff a rage under this roller and noise goes away!
What I noticed was that there are about 8 nylon 4" wide rollers along the underside of the slide that glide across the floor during slide operation. Each roller height is adjustable. I noticed that on my slide, when in, some are touching the floor and some are as much as 1/4" above the floor. I can't find any documentation on where these rollers should be positioned for optimal slide operation. I assume it's important.
Any ideas?
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2014, 08:04 PM   #2

We too have the dreaded roller rattle in our coach. The rollers are there to help position the slide into the coach, not to ride on during transit. In fact if your rollers are resting on your floor while you are driving, you will end up with permanent marks where the rollers are riding on your wood or ceramic floor. In the case of a noisy (rattling) slide roller take a thinner rug and have the slide roll up on it. If the roller pushes the carpet, don't worry as I can lift up on the floor of the slide just enough for my wife to slide the rug under the roller. Repeat under other rollers as needed. This has worked well for us.

Greg & Lynn (Full-timers)
2011 42QBH Tiffin Phaeton
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDchief View Post
We too have the dreaded roller rattle in our coach. The rollers are there to help position the slide into the coach, not to ride on during transit. In fact if your rollers are resting on your floor while you are driving, you will end up with permanent marks where the rollers are riding on your wood or ceramic floor. In the case of a noisy (rattling) slide roller take a thinner rug and have the slide roll up on it. If the roller pushes the carpet, don't worry as I can lift up on the floor of the slide just enough for my wife to slide the rug under the roller. Repeat under other rollers as needed. This has worked well for us.

Is the purpose of the thin rug under the rollers to keep them quiet?
Old 08-18-2014, 10:12 AM   #4

Jerry at Tiffin Support told me that the nylon guide rollers for the large slide will make a racket if they are just touching the floor. He stated that with the slide in, all the rollers should be touching floor hard enough to prevent slapping, but not hard enough to leave marks.. I think I'll experiment with this by taking his advise initially, observing the rollers as the slide moves in and out. If marks are being left over time, I will change the height of the rollers to be just off the floor enough not to make noise and observe the rollers as the slide moves in and out.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
Is the purpose of the thin rug under the rollers to keep them quiet?

Yes, it does quiet them down significantly.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:40 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
Jerry at Tiffin Support told me that the nylon guide rollers for the large slide will make a racket if they are just touching the floor. He stated that with the slide in, all the rollers should be touching floor hard enough to prevent slapping, but not hard enough to leave marks.. I think I'll experiment with this by taking his advise initially, observing the rollers as the slide moves in and out. If marks are being left over time, I will change the height of the rollers to be just off the floor enough not to make noise and observe the rollers as the slide moves in and out.
How and where do you adjust the rollers?
jjensen04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:55 AM   #7

Lift the carpet up and look right at them. There is an allen head screw at each end of the white nylon roller. Looking down at the screw, clockwise raises the roller while counter- clockwise lowers it.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:32 PM   #8

Roller adjustment

Hi,
We went to Red Bay after purchasing our new Allegro Open Road to have some work done and upgrades added. One of the issues was the noise from the roller under the drivers side slide. They pulled the couch out and attempted to adjust it but were unable to make it rest on the floor. Putting a small rug under the roller as the slide is brought in was their suggestion and works quite well. It takes two to do it though, one to stand on the rug so it doesn't slide and one to push the slide button...

Tags
slide