Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2018, 11:21 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Low Battery reading

We are getting ready for a trip tomorrow, I have the RV plugged into the home power, yesterday the inverter panel showed the batteries fully charged. Today when I went to the RV the panel showed the batteries in the red. The charging rate is at 13.5-14 volts. I was running the fridge to get it cold for the food and drinks. That is the only thing that should be drawing power. I put the fridge on propane to see it the batteries charge up. The surge protector shows on line 1 & 2, 120 OK . I any suggestions on what to check would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2018, 11:31 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The electric element in a gas/electric refer take a LOT if power to run, but it shouldn't take any battery power other than the controls. If it is then there is a wiring problem.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:32 AM   #3

How old are the batteries ?
Is this the first time they've been charged since the coach came out of storage?
Could be the only solution is to remove the batteries for testing and possible replacement.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:14 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mister D & Skip thanks for your post, I checked the connections at the inverter made sure all was tight, turned off the inverter then turned back on. After about 30 min the battery showed orange, not sure what happen but it seams to be charging. The batteries are only about 2 years old. If the batteries get up to green showing fully charged I will switch back to A/C to see it they stay charged. Thanks again for your help.

Jim
Old 04-29-2018, 01:02 PM   #5

You keep saying inverter. A inverter doesnt charge batteries. A converter charges batteries. If you are turning on an inverter, it consumes battery power by changing 12 volt dc power to 120 ac power. Im not clear as to what you are turning on. Most converters are automatic, and start to charge the batteries as soon as you plug in the camper, or start a generator if you have one. They generally dont have an off and on switch.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:02 PM   #6

Battery Question as well

When I go to start engine it's batteries are died, I use the jumper switch to start the main engine but the main engine charges the house batteries, is that normal, we thought the engine battery and the house batteries were two separate storage system and neither should meet, am I wrong or when bourbon RV said they changed the engine battery did they in fact connect my engine starter to the house batteries, any thoughts from you old timers, we have a 1996 Tiifin Allegro bus, Thanks
hbob1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:10 PM   #7

With that vintage MH, you probably have a battery isolator.

An isolator splits the engine alternator charge between both the engine and house batteries.

They are solid state but the diodes in them do fail. Start the engine and hold the boost switch on. If you see charging on the start battery, you need to check the isolator.

Holding the boost switch bypasses the isolator, which is probably mounted right above or below it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
With that vintage MH, you probably have a battery isolator.

An isolator splits the engine alternator charge between both the engine and house batteries.

They are solid state but the diodes in them do fail. Start the engine and hold the boost switch on. If you see charging on the start battery, you need to check the isolator.

Holding the boost switch bypasses the isolator, which is probably mounted right above or below it.
So if I read you correct when I run the main engine the alt. will charge both the house batteries and the engine start battery, correct, so your saying if the isolator is bad the main engine may charge the house batteries but not the main engine battery, if that were the case then running the generator and trying to start the main engine could damage our charging system if the isolator was out, but if I start the main engine and have a volt meter on the engine battery and the battery doesn't charge unless I hold the button in then I have a problem.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbob1957 View Post
So if I read you correct when I run the main engine the alt. will charge both the house batteries and the engine start battery, correct, so your saying if the isolator is bad the main engine may charge the house batteries but not the main engine battery, if that were the case then running the generator and trying to start the main engine could damage our charging system if the isolator was out, but if I start the main engine and have a volt meter on the engine battery and the battery doesn't charge unless I hold the button in then I have a problem.
No damage running the generator to charge the batteries. The generator runs the house system charger. That system may send some charge to the start battery but it would be a slow charge.

The boost switch by-passes all of that, like using jumper cables between the batteries.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:59 PM   #10

what about running the generator with the engine if that isolator isn't working would one backfeed the other if the isolator was bad, what s been happening is we run the generator for a while to charge the house batteries then shut it off so the batteries stay charged through the night then we run the generator in the morning to recharge the batteries, during this whole process we don't run the main engine, however every time I go to start the main engine I have to push the bypass button, today I looked at the charge meter in the coach with the main engine running and it showed at least the house batteries fully charged but the engine battery still will not start the main engine until I push the button, that sound right to you.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by caninecop View Post
Mister D & Skip thanks for your post, I checked the connections at the inverter made sure all was tight, turned off the inverter then turned back on. After about 30 min the battery showed orange, not sure what happen but it seams to be charging. The batteries are only about 2 years old. If the batteries get up to green showing fully charged I will switch back to A/C to see it they stay charged. Thanks again for your help.

Jim
First, the first move I would make would have been to check the voltage at the battery with a separate Digital Multi Meter. Post the results and we would know what was going on.

Assuming you have a combination Inverter/Converter it sounds like the Converter portion was either turned off or faulted off. Cycling the power often resets software glitches. Welcome to computer controlled failures.

A/C is air conditioning. AC is 120 VAC line power. Given the known information switching back to Air Conditioning makes no sense. If you are not running 120 VAC in then why are your batteries charging?
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:09 PM   #12

So I checked the batteries, 1. oldest looking battery 11.87v the positive runs to the engine and the bottom of a switch it looks like, battery 2. 11.98v the positive runs through the bulkhead into the coach and also to the top of the switch looking box and to the hyd. pump, battery 3. 11.98v the positive runs through the bulkhead of the coach and to a solenoid mounted on the left side under the hood, I take it the switch looking box or that solenoid is connected to that jumper button one pushes to use the house batteries to start the main engine.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:28 PM   #13

Ok so I started the generator, battery 1. still held 11.86v battery 2. is at 13.36v battery 3. is at 13.34v so battery 2 and 3 are our house batteries and battery 1. is the main engine battery and it doesn't charge with the generator, In short when I run the main engine it's battery isn't charging but the house batteries do, or is it a worn out battery, it appears I need to check each cell with a hydrometer I think.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:35 PM   #14

Couldn't check the battery, the engine battery is a maintenance free battery as are all of them.

Tags
battery