Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2016, 07:45 PM   #1

Main Circuit Breaker

Greeting ALL,

I understand that prior to connecting my 2016 Allegro 32SA to shore power it is recommended that I turn off the RV's Main Circuit Breaker. Can someone tell me where I my find the Main Circuit Breaker....Thank You
ST_Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2016, 07:57 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST_Bake View Post
Greeting ALL,I understand that prior to connecting my 2016 Allegro 32SA to shore power it is recommended that I turn off the RV's Main Circuit Breaker. Can someone tell me where I my find the Main Circuit Breaker....Thank You
You want to turn off (or make sure it's already turned off) the main circuit breaker on the shore power pedestal. You don't have to turn off anything in the motor home. You just don't want to plug into the shore power while it's hot because it can cause arcing in the plug. There is a few second delay on the transfer switch, but it's still good practice to make sure the power is off at the pedestal before plugging in.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:28 PM   #3

Thank you for the quick response. I am still a little confused based off of this information from the owners manual:

To connect the Allegro to an external source of 120 VAC electrical power, it is first recommended that all of the circuit breakers are in the “off” position. This is done to prevent any power surge upon connecting the motorhome to the external power source. Then unwind the power cord from the electrical compartment located in an external compartment. The standard, flexible, power cord supplied with the Allegro is designed to handle up to 50 amperes. Make sure that the pins in the male end of the plug are oriented correctly so they match the power cable, and they are in good condition (i.e., aren’t bent or damaged)

If there is a circuit breaker switch at the “plug” end of the power cord, that breaker should be turned “off” before making the connection. Insert the plug into the mating outlet and then turn the circuit breaker “on.” Close and lock the electrical compartment door to protect the contents and to keep them
clean and dry. Close the cover on the power box, if so equipped, to avoid an unintentional disconnection and to keep the contents clean and dry. Then switch the main breaker to the “on” position.
When properly connected, the 120 VAC system provides power to all the 120 VAC circuits and outlets when the main breaker is turned “on.”

Seems straight forward except it states all every circuit breakers need to be turned off in the MH prior to connected to shore power. Are all the circuit breakers located in the same location? Am I reading this right or am I making too big a deal about it. Also, isn't there a main battery switch, (I think) that I could just turn off prior to connecting. Again could be thinking too much

Thanks Steve
Old 09-12-2016, 08:40 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not withstanding what your manual states, the usual best practice is to ensure the pedistal breaker is off prior to connecting/disconnecting the shore power cable. Dropping all the breakers in the RV itself would be inconvenient and unnessisary, IMHO.

You should also have a power protection device. Not just a surge protector but one that also checks the power conditioning. Such as those from Progressive Industries.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:55 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Advice given is the proper way to handle hookups. Turn off circuit breaker at the pedestal. Make sure to turn off high draw appliances inside the coach such as the ac's are off before plugging in. Plug in your power protection such as Progressive Industries if you have a portable unit with the coach plugged into that unit, turn on the pedestal breaker and verify good power at the pedestal. In my case I have the hard-wired Progressive unit. I turn off the pedestal breaker if on, plug coach into the pedestal, turn on the breaker and watch the Progressive unit. It checks out the power then will pass power to the coach if it is good after a minute or so. Then I turn on my ac's. Been doing this for years. No need to turn off any breaker in the coach if you use a power protection unit.

The only reason for doing that would be if you didnt have a Progressive and there was bad power at the pedestal. By turning off the main breakers you could limit the damage to your wiring, appliances, etc. The Progressive eliminates the need for that.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:58 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST_Bake View Post
Seems straight forward except it states all every circuit breakers need to be turned off in the MH prior to connected to shore power. Are all the circuit breakers located in the same location? Am I reading this right or am I making too big a deal about it. Also, isn't there a main battery switch, (I think) that I could just turn off prior to connecting. Again could be thinking too much
Thanks Steve
I'm sure the manual was written as "overkill" to avoid any possible conflicts, but as previously said, turning off all breakers isn't normally necessary. The suggestion of adding a Progressive HW50C EMS is excellent. I have one, but didn't think to add that to my post. There is a 15 second delay on the EMS and it will display the pedestal voltage before the transfer switch takes over. I would highly recommend adding the EMS if your rig comes with the standard 41260 transfer switch which has limited protection. If it has the 40250 RVC transfer switch, that one has better protection and power display built in.

Turning off the main battery switch has minimal to no effect on shore power since that is only for the 12v house systems. It might take a very slight load off the shore power, but it's not necessary.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:17 AM   #7

Thanks everyone for helping me out with my question. Also there is going to be a Progressive EMS-PT50C Surge Protector at my door when I get home today.

Steve

Tags
circuit breaker