Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2015, 12:42 PM   #1

Maint. info from Red Bay

I just completed a discouraging discussion with the Tiffin Service Dept in Red Bay. I just wanted to get information on maintenance records for my coach. I saw Bob Tiffin at the GS Rally in Pheonix and he told me to call the plant to get copies of maintenance records for services by Tiffin on my coach. No use debating why I did not get the records from the previous owner, suffice it to say that the vendor who sold me the coach did not have any records from the previous owner, but said that the coach had been in Red Bay last spring for service. In my ignorant blis I called the Service Dept in Red Bay and gave them my vin number and asked if they could furnish me records of work done by them, the first guy I talked to said they did not keep records of repairs that they did, I was taken aback to say the least, he said he would check with one of the other guys and when he came back on the line he said that they could not release that information except to the original owner, I relayed my conversation with Bob Tiffin, but he wasn't impressed. I then asked to be transferred to the front office, got the answering machine for Bob's Secretary," leave a message and she would get back to me." Told the machine my short version of tail and asked her to call me back. A couple of hours later got a call from "Ken" and he went through the same explanation that they did not give maintenance records out to second owners. I once again related my conversation with Bob Tiffin and Ken promptly told me that Bob didn't understand the company policy. He started telling how this was all about customers privacy rights and that Tiffin did not want to get between me and my vendor, if my vendor lied to me about service why would Tiffin be interested in protecting that vendor. What I really want to know is simply what has Tiffin Done to this coach since they built it. I, in no uncertain terms, explained that I was not happy with his explanation. I have a coach that I own and he has information on the maintence records of same that he refuses to share with me. This is a hell of a way to run a railroad train. And this is my first encounter with Red Bay, after all the great things I had heard about Tiffin.
tom076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2015, 02:25 PM   #2

I don't know exactly what kind of records you want, but TMH doesn't do chassis stuff like engine, transmission, generator etc. The only records they might have would be warranty items on the body, ie: roof rails, wet bay, slide floor, etc.

Any of the above items should be obvious if you know what to look for.

So if you are looking for maintenance records you are probably out of luck.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:34 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would not quit.....write a personal letter to Bob Tiffin and explain yourself and your conversation with him....to say the President and CEO of Tiffin does not understand his own policies is BS....
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:44 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ran into the same thing with Country Coach. Was looking at several of them and called the factory with the VIN#'s. I was told they would only release the info if we bought one AND then they would take it under "advisement" which they also told me they might or might not release the info.
We bough the coach (kind of unfortunately as the engine blew up after 2.600 miles) but I just hadn't thought to call and see if I could get the records. They also said it was a privacy issue too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:46 PM   #5

So, if I understand you correctly, when people say on this forum that they went to Red Bay for servicing, they don't mean that they went to Tiffin?
tom076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:13 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Engine chassis service would most likely come at Bay Diesel not Tiffin. Body work cabinet work could be Tiffin or any of several other companies. We had body work done by Dave Mckinney rather than wait Month for Tiffin. Tiffin did do interior work and replaced a slide out floor while we were there. That was all warranty or goodwill as the coach was 21/2 tears old.

So going to Red Bay for service does not necessarily mean to Tiffin
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - Read my blog at https://goldberg-online.net/
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:08 PM   #7

If you haven't been to an Allegro Club Rally, check out the rally in Aug at Columbus, IN. You would be able to schedule a tour at Cummins factory and get 3 minor repairs by Tiffin service crew. Also, plenty of Tiffin people would be around to ask questions. Just got back from Allegro Club Rally in Orlando, FL and plan to make a rally once a year, when possible. If everything is working on your rv, just start keeping your own service records. Dave
Old 04-02-2015, 07:59 PM   #8

I purchased a 2003 Tiffin Allegro Bus 2 years ago. I assumed that maintenance had not been properly taken care of, that is the safe way to do it. RV dealers typically don't do chassis or engine work. I changed all filters and fluids and kept a full record of all work done including part numbers, I do most of my own maintenance. At the cost of oil changes and grease jobs I don't mind getting a little dirty. The Transmission is the only item that may not need fluid change due to the age of your bus, you can check the forums for your tranny maintenance schedule and may only need to have a sample of the fluid analyzed.
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:02 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
When I was searching for a used motorhome at dealers (different dealerships, different brands), no-one would release prior maintenance information, citing owner privacy issues. One indicated that used cars were handled the same way.

I only found private sale individuals willing to share any info.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:15 PM   #10

Due to the over abuse of litigation today (imho), companies must take privacy issues much more seriously than in the past (Fed & State laws). Bob Tiffin's suggestion may have been with good intent, although it is also the responsibility of his staff to keep the CEO from doing something that would lead down a slippery slope. After all, just because he is CEO doesn't mean he knows every law/policy.....that's why you have staff! I think that Tiffin's policy not to give info to second owners is business solid, and although you certainly don't like the outcome, it does protect the company from litigation. Perhaps they may give info to your dealer if he requests it. In the automobile world, CarFax provides some info for new owners.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:27 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've bought new and I've bought used and I always demand all available records OR the previous owner's name/phone. Never been denied and the po would give their permission to get them from any repair facility.
Some dealers balked but all eventually provided the # after they got the po permission. Made it clear it was a deal breaker.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:15 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I traded An 8 year old sob with 110k miles. I left a file with every maintenance record from the 8 years. Also left contact info in a couple of places on the coach. Never heard from the buyer and some how I doubt they ever saw the very useful complete maintenance record. Unfortunate since it would have enhanced the value of an otherwise well used coach.
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - Read my blog at https://goldberg-online.net/
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:10 PM   #13

Just went through this same problem with 2001 Allegro bus. No one will release service records. If you do not get the records with the vehicle you must assume no work was done and start over.

Tiffin does not work on the chassis (Unless it is one of their new power glide chassis). If your unit was constructed on a Freightliner Chassis you can go to a Freightliner dealer, prove to them you own the chassis and they will release any records they have which in my case was not much, but at least you are put on the list to be notified of any recalls.

One of the selling points of my coach was the fact that the prior owner had left all the records in a box in a rear closet.

One thing to note. Motorhome manufacturers actually build very little. Nowhere was this more evident than touring the Tiffin factory. They build cabinets, shells, floors, walls, and put on paint. Almost all other components are constructed by others and assembled into one unit by Tiffin. Most use the same components from the door locks to refrigerators to braking systems, and wheels are made by others and assembled by the manufacturers. Service is similarly fragmented. The person that knows how to repair the furnace seldom knows how the drive train works for example so service records are also fragmented. After my work was complete I received a composite bill that listed several crafts and noted several locations. I hit the same condition when I took the unit to a local repair facility to get the alternator replaced.

My suggestion for older units is to find a good repair facility nearby and let them take care of the unit. So far that plan is working for me.
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:42 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought a used Monaco knight and a Winnebago Tour and had to get the previous owner's permission to get records in both instances. Just get the previous owner's name on your unit and ask for permission. I have never bought a used RV without talking to the prior owner first. If they don't want to talk, I just pass it up and look some more.
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote