Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Maytag Refrigerator water leak

We have a residential Maytag refrigerator in the coach and on this last trip we began to notice a fair amount of clean water in the carpet below the refrigerator. I found the tap to shut off the water to the ice maker behind the exterior access panel behind the refrigerator. That didn't solve the problem. Would any of you have another idea what to check. How big of a deal is it to pull the refrigerator out for maintenance? Should I call RV service or a household appliance repairman? Thanks for your thoughts?
Redbear7938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2017, 11:34 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
As far as I am aware there are only two possibilities for water. Since you have already shut off the ice maker the only other thing I can think of that would cause this would be that the water is caused by the auto defrost cycle. You should have a drain tube probably down the back of the frig that runs into a plastic pan. Either the drain tube is not hitting the pan or the pan is leaking. Do an internet search on your frig and see how to access the drain pan.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:41 PM   #3

This has been a well documented issue for Kitchen Aid, Whirlpool, and I assume Maytag. The duck bill drain gets blocked causing water to back up during the defrost cycle. They have a kit that replaces the duck bill with a p-trap (around $16 on Amazon), but many have either removed the duck bill or enlarged it.

A repair tech recently told me that he has cut off many of them, and has never had a call back for any issues related to the drain.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:59 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear7938 View Post
We have a residential Maytag refrigerator in the coach and on this last trip we began to notice a fair amount of clean water in the carpet below the refrigerator. I found the tap to shut off the water to the ice maker behind the exterior access panel behind the refrigerator. That didn't solve the problem. Would any of you have another idea what to check. How big of a deal is it to pull the refrigerator out for maintenance? Should I call RV service or a household appliance repairman? Thanks for your thoughts?
I have a big sub zero frig in our house. Found water on the floor in front of it. I pulled out the 3 lower drawers in the frig and there is a tube that runs on the back wall. I couldn't see it until drawers were pulled out. That tube was clogged with slim and was dripping under the drawers and out the front of the fridge.

It's part of the auto defrost. It's worth a try to look to see if you have something similar. In my case, there was no reason to pull frig out from the wall.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
This has been a well documented issue for Kitchen Aid, Whirlpool, and I assume Maytag. The duck bill drain gets blocked causing water to back up during the defrost cycle. They have a kit that replaces the duck bill with a p-trap (around $16 on Amazon), but many have either removed the duck bill or enlarged it.

A repair tech recently told me that he has cut off many of them, and has never had a call back for any issues related to the drain.
This is most likely your problem. Our refrig has the freezer on the bottom and water will collect on the panel at the bottom then freeze as a clear sheet of ice. When it gets full, the water then flows onto the carpet. We chip the ice out occasionally and it prevents the water on the carpet.

If you do a little web searching, there is actually a service note on this problem. If you call Maytag and complain about it, they will send you the updated P-trap replacement part at no charge. I did this and I have the part (sorry, it's in the coach that's in storage otherwise I'd give you the part number) and I'm trying to build up enough courage to rip the refrig out since the only way I know of replacing the P-trap is from the back.
jimnrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, refrigerator, water, water leak