RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2015, 06:20 AM   #1

Mercedes engines in Phaeton

I am looking at a 2007 Phaeton and the dealer says it has a Mercedes engine in it, but it hasn't been delivered to the dealer yet so they aren't sure the size. I can't find anything in the Phaeton paperwork that says it was an option. There are posts here that discuss the engine, but was it an option and does anyone know which engine it might be? The coach is a 40 foot 4 slide QSH model.

Thanks.

billhuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2015, 08:30 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Bill;

If you go to the tiffinrvnetwork.com and look under the Freightliner section there is a discussion about the Mercedes engines. They say it is the MBE926 engine.

'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:56 AM   #3

If it doesn't have a Cummins, I would pass on it. MB's aren't always the best to have. Just my opinion. Dave
allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:48 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Maintenance on the MB can be way more pricey then Cummins engine.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:58 AM   #5

I checked out the Tiffin Rv Network and a couple of other sites. Like anything else there are some who have a friend who knew a guy...and others who blame the engine for chassis problems, as well as those who have real issues. I was prepared for the higher Mercedes prices if problems surface, having owned Mercedes cars in the past.

The price is right on the coach I am looking at and it has been well cared for. After reading some posts I am not too worried about having an MB engine. Thanks for the help, and keep the info flowing
Old 09-20-2015, 08:31 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
My friend Jim has a 2006 with the MBE engine in his which has been flawless. It is his full-time home and he travels constantly. The only issue he had was the slobber tube which he extended that cured that problem. Good solid engine for him. He takes his for service to Freightliner in Gaffney SC and they do the annual service for the coach, change engine oil and filters, etc. (freightliner chassis). I do the same for mine with a Cummins engine. No difference in cost between servicing his and ours. Depending on where you live, I highly recommend the Gaffney service center - I am pretty sure you have a Freightliner chassis. That's where they build the chassis for the motorhome and the techs know everything about them, well-trained, unlike some of the "Oasis" centers.

Enjoy your coach!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:54 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Maintenance on the MB can be way more pricey then Cummins engine.
I wasn't referring to scheduled preventive work when I stated "maintenance" is costlier. We know several Alfa owners with MB engines. When they have break downs and engine related work done, the wait on the parts and the cost are definitively higher then what a Cummins engine cost for same work. Its just the nature of the system...Cadillac and Chevy.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by billhuntz View Post
I checked out the Tiffin Rv Network and a couple of other sites. Like anything else there are some who have a friend who knew a guy...and others who blame the engine for chassis problems, as well as those who have real issues. I was prepared for the higher Mercedes prices if problems surface, having owned Mercedes cars in the past.
I owned a new Gulfstream Tourmaster T-40A with the MB engine for 5 years and traded it in on my 2014 Phaeton last year. During my years of use, I never had a problem getting it serviced, never had to wait long for parts, and the couple of times I had a issues on the road, finding a repair facility and getting the parts was never an issue. I also never felt that parts were costlier than on the previous 4 Cummins I owned.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:37 PM   #9

The big MB engines from their over-the-road trucks are about as bullet-proof as you can find. Sure, parts are more expensive than the equivalent for Cummins, but that's because there's so little demand!
Old 09-21-2015, 08:32 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by billhuntz View Post
I am looking at a 2007 Phaeton and the dealer says it has a Mercedes engine in it, but it hasn't been delivered to the dealer yet so they aren't sure the size. I can't find anything in the Phaeton paperwork that says it was an option. There are posts here that discuss the engine, but was it an option and does anyone know which engine it might be? The coach is a 40 foot 4 slide QSH model.

Thanks.
If its in a Pheaton, do a search for MBE on the Tiffin site, and see for yourself.
As Lt Dan suggested.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:48 PM   #11

I have a 07 Phaeton with a MBE, so far the only thing I have had go wrong is the cooling fan clutch (Horton MFG part, not a MBE part), its the same as the Cat Motors i think, had to replace it. sence then no problems.
I have heard that the fan belts are a challange to replace, and some EGR coolers sometimes have a problem leaking internally.
I know I get better fuel mileage than the Cat motors, not sure against the Cummings
easyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:53 AM   #12

Thanks all, and for the record I searched here and a few Tiffin sites before asking the question. I over research sometimes.

Thanks again I feel totally comfortable with the move from the V-10 to the MBE.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro1x View Post
If it doesn't have a Cummins, I would pass on it. MB's aren't always the best to have. Just my opinion. Dave
From what I have been reading on the "late" model Cummins, I would buy a Benz in a minute, Filters MIGHT be a bit more but the Oil is the same, Parts are a more (if you need them) Benz motors are in the better part of Trucks in Europe.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:53 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
From what I have been reading on the "late" model Cummins, I would buy a Benz in a minute, Filters MIGHT be a bit more but the Oil is the same, Parts are a more (if you need them) Benz motors are in the better part of Trucks in Europe.
When you say "late model" which model Cummins do you mean.... ISB, C, L, M, X ?
The new V8 in the Breeze ??

Tags
engine