RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2019, 06:48 PM   #1

Merge Solenoid Location - 32SA

I have a 2019 32SA and a friend is taking delivery of a 2020 Open Road in a few days. We have both been searching for the 'Merge Solenoid / Relay" so we can add an Amp-L-Start trickle charger between the coach and chassis batteries. Only problem is, we can't find it. Seems it used to be in the front bay, under drivers side, but no more. Someone said back in the battery compartment - don't see it there. Tried pushing Aux Start switch to hear a "clicking noise" - nothing. Cant find a wiring diagram for the 32SA, so hoping someone here may know the answer.

HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2019, 07:03 PM   #2

Doesn't the merge solenoid negate the need for a Amp L. Start ?

Almost every newer MH is equipped with bi-directional charging. Even my cheap Thor.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #3

I thought the same, but, after speaking with Tiffin a month ago, I was advised that in mid to late 2018, they quit having the setup where the chassis battery would be charged after coach batteries reached a charged state. Also, if you look at the Spyder wiring diagram, it also shows no charge going to chassis battery. Therefore, the need for some sort of trickle charge device to maintain chassis battery. I like the Amp-L-Startas I would not have to fuss with extra extension cords. But - can’t seem to figure out where the merge solenoid is at.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #4

I have a 2019 34PA. I bought the Trik-L-Start and like you I cannot locate that solenoid to install the Trik-L-Start. We have been in a campground site for a couple of months and chassis battery was getting low. I put key in the ignition, turned it to Accessory position and left for a bit over an hour. That charged the chassis battery back into my comfort zone. Not sure if that is a long term solution; but, solved my immediate problem.
W.J. Demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 07:26 PM   #5

After looking all over the MH, and a friend looking at his new 2020 pen Road - neither of us could find the merge solenoid. Frustrated, I called Tiffin and talked to an electrical support person. Long story short - there is no solenoid as we know, or as there used to be located in the front bay, driver side. Now, it is a circuit board setup located in the electrical bay (on 32SA) that you can access in the bedroom, lower draws under closet, left side. Apparently,, this give you better access. It seems there are now using printed circuit boards and relays on the boards replacing the solenoid. I think I am just going to get a battery tender and skip the Amp-L-Start as this sounds like more trouble than I want to deal with. Red Bay sent me a photo, But I am having trouble downloading this to the forum post. If I can sort this out, I will post the photo.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:47 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Not sure how close your chassis battery is to the house batteries, but you can wire the AMP L Start to your batteries instead, might be more work running the wires but it can be done.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:00 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Don't do it! Your spyder system monitors chassis and house batteries and keeps them charged..at least they do on my rig. Has your chassis battery ever dropped below 12.4V DC?
Old 10-11-2019, 10:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
Don't do it! Your spyder system monitors chassis and house batteries and keeps them charged..at least they do on my rig. Has your chassis battery ever dropped below 12.4V DC?

Yes, mine has. Been in a site for over two months and chassis batteries were down to 12.1 V. On my 2019 34PA, there is no system to keep the chassis battery charged.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
After looking all over the MH, and a friend looking at his new 2020 pen Road - neither of us could find the merge solenoid. Frustrated, I called Tiffin and talked to an electrical support person. Long story short - there is no solenoid as we know, or as there used to be located in the front bay, driver side. Now, it is a circuit board setup located in the electrical bay (on 32SA) that you can access in the bedroom, lower draws under closet, left side. Apparently,, this give you better access. It seems there are now using printed circuit boards and relays on the boards replacing the solenoid. I think I am just going to get a battery tender and skip the Amp-L-Start as this sounds like more trouble than I want to deal with. Red Bay sent me a photo, But I am having trouble downloading this to the forum post. If I can sort this out, I will post the photo.

Starting to think along your thoughts. A battery tender would be much easier to install than the trik-l-start. My trik-l-start is going on Craigslist.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:11 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Then I would get it checked and repaired. The spyder system may need an update or a re-programing. The system does keep the chassis battery charged if functioning correctly. You've been given bum information. Take it to an authorized repair center and get it corrected while still under warranty. Also do a search on this topic and there are many post and threads addressing this issue. Don't waste your $$ on a work around unnecessary fix.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Then I would get it checked and repaired. The spyder system may need an update or a re-programing. The system does keep the chassis battery charged if functioning correctly. You've been given bum information.

Did you read post #3 in this thread?
Old 10-11-2019, 10:29 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.J. Demo View Post
Did you read post #3 in this thread?
Yes and like I said..bum information.

When on shore power does chassis battery charge?

Follow this thread and there is a link to spyder explaining the system...I have a 2019 and can assure you the batteries are being charged while on shore power. But if you want to waste your cash on a redundant charging system then knock yourself out.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Yes and like I said..bum information.

When on shore power does chassis battery charge?

Follow this thread and there is a link to spyder explaining the system...I have a 2019 and can assure you the batteries are being charged while on shore power. But if you want to waste your cash on a redundant charging system then knock yourself out.
All I can say here is that this is also a question I had asked the people at Red Bay and was told this does not happen on late model 2018 and forward models. The Spyder wiring diagram will also reflect this. So - rather than start some big contest as to whether it does or dies not , I leaving each to their own decision.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:20 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm not sure who you asked at Red Bay but they gave you false info. See page 10 in the schematic below to start troubleshooting, my guess bad wire, ground or merge solenoid(it will also tell you where to find the solenoid) :

http://spydercontrols.com/wp-content...ematics-ce.pdf

Everything you want to know about your Spyder control system can be found here:

http://spydercontrols.com/customer-login/

User ID is: Tiffin Password is: Motorhomes

Also I and every one I know with a late model Open Road did not have to add a separate charging system to their chassis battery. I'm telling you there is something wrong with yours if it is not charging properly.

Tags
cat, solenoid