Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2019, 03:44 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Microwave venting, is this normal

I have doubted that our vent has worked properly since we got our coach a few months ago. I got the idea to test it after seeing another coach with the same setup and decent draw.

I turned the vent on high, lit the corner of a paper towel then blew it out. I am not sure that any smoke vent through the vent, maybe a very small amount. Ours is supposed to be vented to the outside but I wonder if the microwave was not vented properly when installed.

The only thing I can think to do is remove the microwave and inspect. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2019, 08:14 PM   #2

Very few MH's have venting to outside, if you do there will be a vent through the wall that may be viewed from outside. For some reason virtually all trailers have outside vents but not MH's.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:18 PM   #3

The microwave in my MH is vented outside through the roof. The only way to know for sure is to unmount the microwave and look.
890ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:29 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mine is not vented outside, just filtered and recirculated.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:40 PM   #5

On our third coach. Three different makes and all vented outside through the wall behind the microwave/convection oven. You need to pull the unit and examine the fan setup. They can be adjusted to vent outside if you have an outside vent or to recirculate using charcoal filters.
Reacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:18 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
Brandss, not sure what your name is...

We have a 14 allegro bus and ours is vented outside. Go outside while it is running and you will see and hear the air coming out of the vent. That being said, not near the efficiency of a home unit. We run our roof fan as well most times.
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:46 AM   #7

Check your outside vent on the side of your motorhome. There should be two tabs on vent which can be manually opened before powering up your microwave to vent outside. Failure to do so would just cause air to be recirculated back into your coach.
Atlantaemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:02 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the replies to everyone. Going to put a ladder against the coach and see if the vent opens when I turn on the fan. Not sure why I didn't think to do this already but appreciate the help.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:57 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As stated, your Tiffin micro should be vented to the outside and the vent will be on the outside wall where the micro is located. The vent should open when the fan is on, there are no locks on them but could be stuck.
They are not the greatest. Also check to make sure the metal screen filters in the hood are clean and not filled with grease.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:01 PM   #10

The vent usually has a flap that can be latched for travel. Are you sure yours is not locked down?
Old 04-22-2019, 10:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
Thanks for the replies to everyone. Going to put a ladder against the coach and see if the vent opens when I turn on the fan. Not sure why I didn't think to do this already but appreciate the help.
IF you find the exterior vent cover is not stuck closed, it is possible the lack of airflow is because the fan unit is installed in the microwave "backwards".

I recently had to change out the Whirlpool micro in my S & B, and the instructions clearly stated the fan unit has to be oriented depending on if you want the discharge airflow to go out thru a vent duct, or back into the room thru a "filter".
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave, vent