RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2009, 09:16 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
More Questions on an 03 Phaeton 35

I'm going to look at an 03 Pheaton with a 330 cat. The people bought it new and have put 7500 miles on it. It hasn't been on a trip in two years..........it has been driven somewhat locally. Owner says the tires are cracking, so I know that is one thing to replace.......what else do I need to be concerned about, or look at? The owner (widowed) said she wasn't even sure if the oil had ever been changed. Said it's like new inside with some fading on the outside, but not bad. What do you think......price is way below, low NADA price. Pros and cons? Thanks for your input.
Brian

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2009, 07:07 AM   #2

Okay, since I haven't seen a response to your questions, thought I would toss in my 2 cents. As a previous Phaeton owner I would suspect that its on a Freightliner chassis. you can open the engine access and their should be a chassis number on a tag somewhere on the right side somewhere...believe that was were mine was on my 07.
The Allison transmission would probably require a filter change as the older transmissions required this around 6k miles. You can contact CAT with the engine serial number... the number located on the ps of the oil pan if I remember correctly. They will tell you of any recalls or upgrades. Service all filters and fluids! on the coach, including the generator. Replace the tires. If the coach as a fresh water filter.. change it! Just a few thoughts

wagon217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:24 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagon217 View Post
.....Service all filters and fluids! on the coach, including the generator. Replace the tires. If the coach as a fresh water filter.. change it! Just a few thoughts
I would add...
Check the coach and chassis batteries....6+ year old batteries that haven't been cycled are probably weak...I would expect to replace them also

Engine Hoses and Belts....rubber is cheap and fragile..replace them (don't forget the turbo elbow)

ON fluids dont forget the antifreeze and coolant filter..don't forget the brake fluid

And (my opinion, others will differ) get an" exclusive" service policy, mine has paid for itself....

Costs:
Fluids and Filters:$650
Tires: $3000
Batteries:$600
Rubber: $450

Expect $4-5K in start up expense (depending on how good a shopper you are)
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:37 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The following link will give the general information on your chassis. http://www.freightlinerchassis.com/p...C0207-2003.pdf The chassis serial number on my coach is on a tag on the upper right hand side of the radiator. Call that number into Freightliner and they should be able to give you your engine and transmission serial numbers. Have fun and happy motoring.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote