Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2014, 10:39 AM   #1

Motorcycle carrier

Can a tiffen allegro red 38 QBA, rear axle support a hydralift carrier with a full size Harley.
lund2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2014, 11:37 AM   #2

Unfortunately, you will likely have to do a little work to figure this out. First, you need to know what weight you carry on your rear axle when you are loaded and ready to hit the road. Then, you need to know the entire weight of your MH. That means a trip to the weigh station. Then you need to know the entire weight of your proposed hitch and Harley carrier with Harley. And you need to know the weight carrying capacity of your MH hitch. When you are considering this, you need to avoid going over the rated spec on your GVW, on the weight capacity of the rear axle, and on the weight capacity of your hitch. If the hydralift is attached to the frame rather than the hitch, that may not be an issue.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:41 AM   #3

Howdy
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #4

hydralift is welded to the frame. Cruiserlift is attached to the hitch and two receivers welded to the frame. Neither one uses the hitch only. Your looking at around 1300 lbs added to the rear axel roughly. lets ride
Old 03-06-2014, 06:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
hydralift is welded to the frame. Cruiserlift is attached to the hitch and two receivers welded to the frame. Neither one uses the hitch only. Your looking at around 1300 lbs added to the rear axel roughly. lets ride
Are you saying the lifts weigh approx. 400 lbs.? My Ultra is about 900 lbs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:00 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Go to Blueox.com, they have a formula to compute the amount of weight transferred to the rear axle of any coach based on MC weight, Carrier weight, distance to rear axle, wheel base, and overall length of coach. I'd venture a guess that if you do not have a tag axle a MC on a lift on the back of your coach will overload the rear axle. I know that, that would be the case with my coach shown below. My solution to keep the MC once we go full time it to get say a Nissan Frontier crew cab truck and load the MC in the bed of the truck, thus having a TOAD and my MC too.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:04 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Here is link to the Blue Ox calculator. It's applicable to any brand of lift.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund2go View Post
Can a tiffen allegro red 38 QBA, rear axle support a hydralift carrier with a full size Harley.
I'm thinking not.. since it comes with a class 3 hitch (500lb. tongue weight and there is only 3500 lbs in tow weight between GVWR and GCWR.

GAWR – Front: 12,000 lb
GAWR – Rear: 17,500 lb
GVWR: 29,500 lb
GCWR: 33,000 lb

DLindy has it right with the Blue Ox formula calculation. My guess is that the effect of 1300lbs in the back of the bus is gonna increase rear axle weight by nearly twice that under the formula. Maybe Hydralift or Tiffin has some experience with this that would be worth trying to talk about.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:28 PM   #9

Sound like a lot of extra money and weight to class A. think I'll just keep my Goldwing in the trailer behind me.
grizz427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz427 View Post
Sound like a lot of extra money and weight to class A. think I'll just keep my Goldwing in the trailer behind me.
Some of us want to bring our bike, and a car along .
Old 03-29-2014, 05:53 PM   #11

Know what you mean

Look up ELIO.COM this will answer both of these problems we saw one in Daytona Beach 2 weeks ago.
grizz427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:21 AM   #12

I also looked at placing my 920 lb. Goldwing on one of these lifts. I weighed the coach, did the math and it would have placed me at about 500 lbs. over the rear axle weight limit. Spoke to a couple of freightliner shops around town and they said 500, even 1,000 lbs over the limit was nothing to worry about. Spoke to several rv'ers that I have encountered using the lifts to carry a motorcycle on non tag rigs. Many have traveled thousand of miles with no ill effects. I have yet to speak to someone that has had trouble carrying a motorcycle with a non tag coach. However, in the end, we decided to purchase an enclosed trailer. Good luck with your decision!!
algolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Some of us want to bring our bike, and a car along .
For awhile, we used a Tandem Dolly that carried our Goldwing Trike and trailer on a platform in front of the part carrying the front wheels of our Jeep. Worked great and only 500#s or less on the rear of the coach. We have since gone to a 26' enclosed Aluminum trailer.

RV Towing Accessories | Tow Dollies, Tandem Tow Trailers, Tow Bars
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #14

what type of motorhome do you have pulling a 26' trailer ? I am debating between class A(40+ footer) toyhauler and then towing small jeep behind or maybe a class A( 33-35 footer) and towing a trailer with small vehicle and two large motorcycles inside... neither one is optimal
racko is offline   Reply With Quote