Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2015, 02:45 PM   #1

Question Motorcycles on the hitch

Does anyone have any advice on being able to CARRY 800 lbs of motorcycles on the hitch for a 40 QKH? I would really prefer to not tow a trailer. Would doing this exceed any weight or balance limitations for the coach? I have yet to buy the coach. I am thinking of a 2012 or 2013 vintage.

Thanks in advance.
jb64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2015, 02:54 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think in a Phaeton you would be overloaded....It would be far safer to tow a trailer or get a MH with a tag axle.
I have seen a uni wheel type hitch that has one wheel that supports most of the weight but can't recall where I saw it.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #3

I don't know who makes them, but I've seen several MH's with a lift that gets the motorcycle up fairly high, so it doesn't seem to block the engine. Dave
Old 05-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Do your weight calculations and I think you will find out that the answer is no. You are probably very close to your rear axle weight rating and to add the weight of the lift plus the motorcycle to your rear axle, you are going to be way over the axle rating. A tag axle coach would be the best solution but other than that, a trailer or leaving your toys at home is going to be a better solution.

I just noticed that you haven't bought the coach yet. In that case, by all means look for a tag axle model. In Phaetons, that is a 42LH (that covers 2013 to present) and in Buses, look for 43 and 45 ft. models.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Do your weight calculations and I think you will find out that the answer is no. You are probably very close to your rear axle weight rating and to add the weight of the lift plus the motorcycle to your rear axle, you are going to be way over the axle rating. A tag axle coach would be the best solution but other than that, a trailer or leaving your toys at home is going to be a better solution.

I just noticed that you haven't bought the coach yet. In that case, by all means look for a tag axle model. In Phaetons, that is a 42LH (that covers 2013 to present) and in Buses, look for 43 and 45 ft. models.
I was thinking that a lift would probably put us over the rear axle weight limit, but a custom bike rack for the hitch might keep us in the ball park. The total hitch weight including the motorcycles would be about 800lbs. A lift would add anther 500 lbs. Thanks to all for your input!
jb64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:18 PM   #6

I carried a full dresser on the back of our 03 40' Phaeton for a few years. I replaced the 255 tires with 275X 80/22.5 Goodyears. Bob Tiffin paid half of the cost. I never had a problem with it and it handled fine even towing a mini van too. When I did the math, it just barely came in at the axle rating. I used the Blue OX carrier and mounted a winch to pull the bike up a ramp. It was made out of aluminum and the whole thing weighed less than 125#'s.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:40 PM   #7

I have a 2013 Phaeton and I haul my Harley Davidson Touring bike with a lift called cruiserlift. You can go to cruiserlift.com to see it. It raises your motorcycle 40 inches above the ground and is rated for a 950 pounds. They will not install it unless you have a freightliner chassis. I pull my vehicle behind with the extender they sell. It cost around $2995.00 new and $1000.00 to install. It's great
Old 05-19-2015, 09:01 AM   #8

I was looking to haul my Harley on the back of my old motorhome which had 3,000 lbs of carry capacity. My bike weighs 650 lbs, the carrier would have been 350 lbs for a total of 1,000 lbs, but when you factor in the over hang distance from the rear axle, it would have added 1,500 lbs total to the rear axle. If you are going to do it, I would make sure the installer/welder knows what he is doing so the frame or body is not affected in a negative way. I do not believe Tiffin recommends carrying a motorcycle on the back of their units but I have seen them on tag axle units.

Steve
rvingrampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:21 AM   #9

Overbilt lift, Cruiserlift, Blue ox and Hydro lift all make hitches to carry and still tow a vehicle. They have calculations on their website to figure additional weight to the rear axle. With my 36' Bus I have about 1400# extra capacity on the rear axle to I should be good for my 600# Suzuki or my 300# dual sport and still tow a car. You also should check the combines gross vehicle weight limits. On my Bus, my gross is 29K and my combines gross is 39K so I am safe there too. Some coaches have very little margin between gross weight and combines gross weight.
gorgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 10:45 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
For Rear Lifts have your front & rear axle weighted when loaded for travel. Then you can add on the extra weight of a lift by below.
Measure the distance from the center of rear axle to the center of the weight(Lift)
Divide that number by the RV’s wheelbase.
Multiply the result by 100 to get percent. That percent of the load is added to the load and becomes the total load added to the rear axle. That percent of the load is subtracted from the front axle weight and unloads the front axle by that amount.
800 lb bike, Lift 100 lb=900 lb Center axle to rear 120” wheelbase 240” 120 divide by 240=0.50 X 100= 50%
Weight is 1350 lb added to rear axle Front axle will be 450 lbs lighter
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote