Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Mouse problems in a 2013 Phaeton

Just an inquiry as I am about to put my 2013 Phaeton into winterizing mode for two months prior to a trip south. Has anyone had any issues with mice in the newer 2012 or 2013 Phaetons or are the sealed fairly well. If in fact anyone is having issues can you let me know where they got in and or what to seal off? Also if there is anything that I can or should do to prevent an unwanted intrusion.? Appreciated!
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Not sure where you live, but if there is a Tractor Supply or something similar close, I would go buy bait blocks for the little critters. I keep bait blocks around the place and add fresh about once a month.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I don't want to attract them if I am not going to have an intrusion problem.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #4

I read on this forum that oil of peppermint was supposed to turn the little fellers away. I had never heard of it, but it might be a good deterrent.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:26 AM   #5
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Buy a roll of aluminum flashing - can get them at Menards or Home Depo, 12" wide and put them around your tires. Also, if you have mud flaps that hang down put them up, retract your electric steps. BTW, I do not want to get credit for this, some one else had done and wrote about it. I use two pieces of Velcro to keep the ends together. I have tried it so far this year and it seems to work. My MH is inside in pole barn.
Good luck!
srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:43 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't have any problems with mice, but a friend of mine lives in a very wooded area where he keeps him MH and says what works best for him is peppermint oil after trying everything else. He buys it in a health food store.
jjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
No RV is imune to an invasion. Mice only need something akin to the diameter of a dime to get in, and if the space isn't quite large enough, they'll chew away until it is.

We tried multiple methods to rodent proof our RVs while stored over the 6 month winters of Wisconsin, our last winter there was the first I had zero critters. I used a combination of moth balls (I'd put half a dozen or so into a nylon footy, tie it off, and distribute those in all basement areas) and these: Fresh Cab I put a packet of the Fresh Cab under the bed, one each under the two sofas, and in cupboards and cabinets. The moth balls work great, but it takes weeks to get the smell out, the Fresh Cab actually smells good.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My mom uses the Fresh Cab in her storage units and I witnessed no evidence of those pesky mice intruded the past 12 months of absent activity in the units, which had newspapers and other loveable items for mice.
Colorado Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #9

We have a 14 pound yellow Tom cat that has the run of the shop and the garages at times. We never have had a mouse in the 12 years he has been around. He patrols the whole area, house and all. He will drag a pack rat in from time to time from the garden or somewhere. When he starts to lose weight, I just lower the bird feeder.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Rat Zapper
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
TGR

I have evidence of at least 1 mouse in a storage compartment. I put 8 fresh cab packets in the compartments 3 weeks ago, and it hasn't left.

Do moth balls really work to get rid of mice? I have to get rid of it ASAP.
TGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yikes TGR... I was about to go buy some Fresh Cab because I cannot tolerate the smell of the Moth Balls. My Husband swears by those stinkly things, he said they used them on the farm all the time, and then my mom claims her folks did too. I know a guy locally who was selling his property and we looked at it and he had them in his hay barn and mentioned it was stinky because of the moth balls but they do the job of keeping the mice out... Again, one has to get past the smell of those things...
Colorado Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
TGR

I was thinking about my previous TT and 5er. I didn't have mice in them, and my address is the same. I thought about what I did differently, and remembered that I put moth balls in small cups and put them on top of the tires. I told my DW about it, and she said "oh yea". So tonight I put the moth balls in cups and put them on the tires.

I hope I don't see anymore evidence of mice.
TGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
CRITTER OUT is what I have used for the past 4 yrs. with no mice problems, use it every few weeks. Spray it on areas under the coach and inside the compartments and on wireing exposed to the weather. Before I used it I had problems. You have to stay with the program nothing lasts for weeks on end.