Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2016, 07:34 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nanu nanu, Mork to Satellite Service

We have been getting by with HD OTA tv, campground cable and WiFi and/or AT&T hot spot. At home we have Xfinity/Comcast. (Expensive but I'm spoiled with the fast internet.) We have been able to watch just about anything this way when we are on the road. However, Jim is increasingly POed with campground wifi or nofi and stupid tv stations. With no wifi you have no Netflix either on the road. We may change our home service if we can team it up with the RV. There is no satellite on this 2007 rig but all the hookups are there and I think the former owners had a Tailgater.

OK, go... What satellite service works well at home AND on the road. Will this service give you Internet? We want both. Can you bundle for an RV? Can we get by with a portable cube thingy or should we get something mounted on the roof? Can we take a box from the house and use it with equipment in the RV? Can we get a pay as you go for the RV? Lay it on me folks!

SueW

No matter where you go, there you are.- Buckaroo Bonsai -RV Forum
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2016, 07:53 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I haven't tried satellite Internet in an RV, but having been forced to use it more than once, it drove me BONKERS. Streaming a movie, unless you have an expensive plan? Fuggedaboutit! Even data comes in bursts, based on the way satellite works.

Hope XM or Dishnet users here report better service, good luck. We just use our phone data plan as a hot spot for data. We're going to replace the cruddy Panasonic DVD player that came with the coach with a Samsung BD-J5900 Blu-ray player. It will mirror Netflix from a phone so we can watch unlimited movies for free (T-Mobile), plus it plays about every format and is WiFi capable if we stay in a spot with good WiFi.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:55 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We dropped Comcast for many reasons and switched to Dish. Our home Internet is thru Frontier with a fibre optic cable to the house. It was only an extra $7 per month, so we added Dish service to the motorhome. Though we had to buy the 211 receiver, the Tailgater was a free gift as a signing bonus.

That was over three years ago and since then our overall Dish bill has gone down by about $50 per month due to special offers, etc. That's our story...
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
The primary satellite services Directv and Dish do not offer satellite Internet. You would have to get a separate service and separate dish.
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:52 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We use DISH Network at home and in the RV for several years now and are very happy with service, signal, etc both at home & RV.

Our prior coach, 2013 Wbg Journey, had a roof mount "in-motion" dish ...it was never a reliable SAT I suppose mostly because the internal dish was small, and any moisture (rain, cloudy) etc gave many "partial or complete signal loss".

We purchased a Winegard Pathway X2 Portable SAT and that proved a reliable (and automatically finds SATs so no manual set up, except carry out, and connect coxial cable receiver (in RV) to Pathway unit. The Pathway will also support / send signals to two separate receivers. EZPZ :-). And, rain, clouds, do not seem to affect the ability to find and keep SAT signals probably because it has a larger dish surface to receive a signal (?18" or so?). Very happy with our Pathway X2.

Our current coach, 2015 Entegra Cornerstone, has a roof mount Winegard Traveler, set up for DISH network. This surface area is neary the same as your stick & brick SAT dish surface dimension. And, the control box for the Traveler automatically finds / locks into SAT signals. Very happy with this unit and DISH network service.

FWIW, we still carry our Pathway X2 Portable, because if we are in an area where our roof Traveler cannot get a clear sky view (state park, tree canopy RV park site orientation, etc) we can always use the 100' coxial cable and locate the Pathway X2 for good SAT signal.

For internet on the road we use a Verizon Jetpack (6620L about 15 hours? Battery, signal strength indicator, and shows data usage). Verizon Jetpack seems able to find a good internet signal even when the RV Park Internet signal is too weak. The only downside that Jetpack (or similar device from any major carrier), is the cost ratio for the amount of data you want / choose. Verizon will let you go on-line and change (add more, lower) the "monthly allowance, Gb, you want.". Overages are more expensive per Gb, if you didn't increase the monthly "allowance" (again, you can change this on-line easily).

Caveat, we don't do much if any streaming, netflix, etc. But others here may use netflix, Roku, etc with a Jetpack or similar device and can comment on that part for your reference.

Agreed, we want good internet and SAT even in our RV :-). The combination for us is working well: Traveler roof, Pathway portable, and Verizon Jetpack. YMMV

Safe Travels to All
BeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:17 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSueW View Post
OK, go... What satellite service works well at home AND on the road. Will this service give you Internet? We want both. Can you bundle for an RV? Can we get by with a portable cube thingy or should we get something mounted on the roof? Can we take a box from the house and use it with equipment in the RV? Can we get a pay as you go for the RV? Lay it on me folks!
I have had both DirecTV and now DISH in my home and in the RV. Both have good programming, but if you want HD from one of the dome antennas your only choice is DISH. DirecTV does not receive HD programming unless you go with a Travelr or a home style antenna. The portable carryout dome works well with DISH, I have one as well as a rooftop dome. Yes, you can take a box from the house as long as it is a type that works with the antenna of choice. With DISH, the cost is $7 per month added to my home bill, which is less than a couple of months of a separate pay as you go plan. I do keep my 211k receiver hooked up at home, just so I don't have to have it reactivated when we go on the road. If it's not receiving a signal update for about 30 days, it will be deactivated and you have to make a phone call to get it turned back on.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:58 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have Dish in the motorhome and sticks and bricks. Well satisfied with the service overall. King Dome plus Tailgater for when the view is blocked. Plan to upgrade to a Traveler when DW retires later this year and we travel more.

Satellite internet is typically not practical due to cost and poor performance. We use CG WiFi when usable (Have a repeater to help improve), and a cellular hotspot when not usable or available.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:48 AM   #8

Wait about 6 months and see if VIASAT has launched their "VIASAT
2" satellite. They are touting huge download speeds and data plans.

Otherwise, streaming and mobile is a rough combination.
Esc Pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:46 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club

Just to add a little perspective to Dish service, I have had Dish for my RV service for several years. Their customer service is horrible. Each time you move more than a couple of hundred miles outside your home area you loose service and you have to call them so they can authorize you for reception in that area. Sounds simple right, nonono, 🙀 it always takes 3 or more calls, each time I am told the prior agent did not do it right. The call center people do not understand the pay as you go service, they are used to people living at one address not moving around the country. Even when I start the conversation with "Are you familiar with the RV service" and they answer "yes" I am convinced they are not. I will admit the service has gotten better, but it still takes at least 3 calls and most times an hour on the phone.

Last year we were at Grand Teton NP, no cell service, closest phone 5 miles away. It took 3 calls over 5 hours to get the service working. It is my opinion that Dish should have a separate call center just for RV service with those agents specifically trained with a goal to get the service working in 1 call. They have the statistics and can easily measure the results. It will reduce their overall workload and improve customer satisfaction thus increasing their revenue.

Btw - it is not just Dish, I have had DirectTV and had similar customer service issues, the only difference is that they do not offer the pay as you go RV service.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:22 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
I knew there was a lot to this. Thanks everyone for your input. I'm disappointed to know that Internet and these services haven't been perfected. So I guess a hot spot is the way to go. Currently I am on my daughter's AT&T family plan. Seven of us sharing 30 gig. Her hubby, Tony, and I use the most of it. Some months only 12-15 g is used but at times when me and Jim are on the road, Tony and I use it all.

Reading your posts I can now see why in every campground there are so many locked Verizon hot spots that show up. I will have to look into the jet pack.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:24 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
My brother and I have been sharing a plan for a few years. We were AT&T, now T-Mobile. The differences are HUGE. We now pay more than $100 less per month for more than we had with AT&T. We had 5 phones sharing 30Gb, and if you went over 30Gb per month, they charged you more, lots more. Now we have 5 lines with 6Gb each, and if a line goes over, they simply slow that line down, with no overage charges.

Plus, with BingeOn, you can stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, Pandora, (and quite a few more), and it counts ZERO against your data. Now buy the Blu-Ray player I mentioned, and you can mirror from a phone to the BIG screen, and watch movies for free, all day long. Just a thought.

Of course, as with any carrier, your location determines what kind of call and video quality you will obtain.

Best of luck in your quest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSueW View Post
I knew there was a lot to this. Thanks everyone for your input. I'm disappointed to know that Internet and these services haven't been perfected. So I guess a hot spot is the way to go. Currently I am on my daughter's AT&T family plan. Seven of us sharing 30 gig. Her hubby, Tony, and I use the most of it. Some months only 12-15 g is used but at times when me and Jim are on the road, Tony and I use it all.

Reading your posts I can now see why in every campground there are so many locked Verizon hot spots that show up. I will have to look into the jet pack.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:12 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Just to add a little perspective to Dish service, I have had Dish for my RV service for several years. Their customer service is horrible. Each time you move more than a couple of hundred miles outside your home area you loose service and you have to call them so they can authorize you for reception in that area.
I'm confused. I've traveled thousands of miles without calling them once, and never lost service. The only channels you lose when leaving your service area are local channels. They're on a spot beam. Everything else works, pretty much regardless of where you are.

For local channels, on the road, the OTA antenna is fine. I don't have to watch them through my Dish receiver.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:29 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjburns View Post
I'm confused. I've traveled thousands of miles without calling them once, and never lost service. The only channels you lose when leaving your service area are local channels. They're on a spot beam. Everything else works, pretty much regardless of where you are.

For local channels, on the road, the OTA antenna is fine. I don't have to watch them through my Dish receiver.

You are correct, the local channels are on a spot beam, if you suspend your service (that is what "Dish for my RV" is meant for) you must call them, or if your receiver is unplugged for more than 30 day, again you must call them. That is when you get into their "wonderful" customer service. When you call a second or third time and the current agent tells you the prior one did not start your service correctly, you start to wonder just what it is they do. Oh yes, the first agent did bill your account correctly😱
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:17 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
You are correct, the local channels are on a spot beam, if you suspend your service (that is what "Dish for my RV" is meant for) you must call them, or if your receiver is unplugged for more than 30 day, again you must call them. That is when you get into their "wonderful" customer service. When you call a second or third time and the current agent tells you the prior one did not start your service correctly, you start to wonder just what it is they do. Oh yes, the first agent did bill your account correctly😱
Perhaps the problem isn't with Dish. Over the last three years I've had to reactivate my service many times in many places and I've never had a problem. I've never had to call more than once. And I've never felt like didn't fully understand that I was in a motorhome in the middle of nowhere and needed their help. And every time I've called Dish the service rep stayed on the line with me until everything was working right. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that's completely satisfied with Dish service.
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite, service