Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2019, 05:04 PM   #1

Nasty smell new RED

Hi folks.
Just picked up the new RED after a month in storage following the shake down cruise.
Rotten egg smell when flushing the toilet. I assumed it was stale water sitting in the lines. But I don’t smell rotten eggs from any of the other water outlets. I have run fresh water through the toilet lines but it still is nasty.
Can the smell come from the holding tank itself? We are using the Camco orange TSP pop-ins that came with the new rig for the first time. Probably only a gallon or so of water in a clean holding tank.
Let me know what you think.
Dan
doak125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2019, 05:17 PM   #2

More water.......and keep more water in tank.......might have to get Happy Camper Extreme, and use it as directed.....and, if you didn't pick up at factory, who's to say no one else used it.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:56 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
We had a similar issue in our RED and one day I noticed the display was still showing 33% full after I had just emptied and back flushed the black tank. Turns out they put the black valve on the gray tank and the gray valve on the black tank. So when I was back flushing I was filling the black tank with water not realizing nothing was coming out of the open valve. Nothing like letting back flushed poop water sit for two weeks.

Now I know the valves are reversed and haven’t had the stink issue ever again.

So, maybe check the valves. And make sure you back flush every trip. It could also be the gray tank. We had that issue in our old Thor and we put gray water tank deodorizer in it and never had the issue again.
Hey_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 07:46 PM   #4

Always turn the roof vent fan off before flushing. It will suck the smell right out of the black tan...
DarrenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Joe View Post
We had a similar issue in our RED and one day I noticed the display was still showing 33% full after I had just emptied and back flushed the black tank. Turns out they put the black valve on the gray tank and the gray valve on the black tank. So when I was back flushing I was filling the black tank with water not realizing nothing was coming out of the open valve. Nothing like letting back flushed poop water sit for two weeks.

Now I know the valves are reversed and haven’t had the stink issue ever again.

So, maybe check the valves. And make sure you back flush every trip. It could also be the gray tank. We had that issue in our old Thor and we put gray water tank deodorizer in it and never had the issue again.
Funny. They switched the valves on ours as well. But I caught it early on. So that’s not the problem.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:59 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Rotten egg smell in the water is caused by iron loving bacteria that have collected in a low point somewhere in your system. Usually these things love your hot water heater but they can also reside in a single water line. I doubt very much that it's your holding tank.

The only way to get rid of the bacteria and smell is to sanitize your water system. Run the bleach/water mixture in and make sure you flush your toilet a few times to get the mixture into that water line. Let it set for 3-4 hours and then flush the entire system with fresh water.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Rotten egg smell in the water is caused by iron loving bacteria that have collected in a low point somewhere in your system. Usually these things love your hot water heater but they can also reside in a single water line. I doubt very much that it's your holding tank.

The only way to get rid of the bacteria and smell is to sanitize your water system. Run the bleach/water mixture in and make sure you flush your toilet a few times to get the mixture into that water line. Let it set for 3-4 hours and then flush the entire system with fresh water.
Thanks livlabs.
The coach is brand new and I sanitized it shortly after delivery. I turned on all the faucets but didn’t even think about the toilet line. But i wonder how bacterial could grow in that line in such a short period of time.
Dan
Old 03-08-2019, 07:48 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
We purchased a brand new Phaeton in 2013. Watched it being built, took delivery as soon as we could after it was delivered to Sherman RV, and yet, within a month we had a terrible rotten egg smell only when the bathroom cold water faucet was opened. The smell would come and go but the only thing that worked was to sanitize the water system again. The smell never came back.

The most common area for these bugs to grow is actually in your water heater. We had that happen last year when I forgot to drain the hot water heater after a trip. I suggest you drain the water system (low point drains, water heater, and water tank) after each trip.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:11 AM   #9

well water

we had this problem...
i was talking to pres. of our camping club when i walked into the coach.. wheew. he was very polite... rr, did you drain the black after your last trip?
if not, you should have... and oh yeah, i think you missed the last one, does that mean your black tank has sat for 2 months?

draining, flushing 3 times, immediately solved the problem for us..

reading this thread and other similar ones.. has brought this question to mind.
what about using well water... ?
our water at the rv shelter comes from a well... sometimes we add water to the fresh tank at the shelter... the well water tastes great... but, there is no chlorine in that water...
i'm guessing that well water would be more likely to go rotten in the black and fresh plumbing since it doesn't have chlorine in it...

just a thought
rr
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell