Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
New diesel owner

I'm not new to RV'ing, on the road off and on since 2001, but this is my first diesel rig. We've logged about 2000 miles, mostly local, and so far I've only refueled at the local Sheetz station. I know this will sound a little silly to you old time diesel jockeys but I'm somewhat intimated by refueling at truck stops with the big trucks. Going to have to soon though as we're leaving for south texas for the winter in a few days. Are there any tips you old timers can give us newbies about truck stop protocols.
tmspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Make sure That You wear Rubber Gloves and Old Shoes or Rubber Boots. You don't want to track any Diesel inside after You Fill Up!
Old 11-08-2009, 06:52 AM   #3

I prefer to use Flying J services. They have dedicated diesel fuel pumps from Rvs. The fill nozzle is automotive type and you can fill your tank more slowly, which reduces the foam. Opening the opposite side fill port will better vent the fuel tank...but be sure to reclose it when you are done.

Another thing I watch for... is there a tanker truck filling the storage tanks? When they are dumping fuel into those tanks that can sturr up any debris in the tank and increase the chances of you pumping that into your fuel tank.

When I service at other truckstops using the truck isle, I run the large nozzle as slow as possible, vent the oppsite side, and once complete pull forward to allow the next rig to start fueling.
wagon217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:22 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmspoon View Post
I'm not new to RV'ing, on the road off and on since 2001, but this is my first diesel rig. We've logged about 2000 miles, mostly local, and so far I've only refueled at the local Sheetz station. I know this will sound a little silly to you old time diesel jockeys but I'm somewhat intimated by refueling at truck stops with the big trucks. Going to have to soon though as we're leaving for south texas for the winter in a few days. Are there any tips you old timers can give us newbies about truck stop protocols.
I read an article that said to take the cap off of one side so that the fuel would flow faster Don't do it , I pulled in to fuel up and thought I would try it, well it happend that the MH was on a slight angle and I kept watching the pump and it was taking more fuel than I expected
and all of a sudden I heard splashing, so I ran over to the otherside and fuel was gushing out and trying to get back to shut the pump off I slipped on the diesel fuel and fell right on my !@#$%% (did't get hurt except my pride).

A rookie mistake

Welcome, and don't worry about re-fueling just pay attention to what you are doing. You are a big rig too.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:43 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks for the tips and sorry about the fuel spill. Hope it wasn't during the $4+ per gallon days. I've used the FJ pumps withn my gas coach but sometimes they aren't handy.
tmspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Diesel Fueling

There is no reason to be intimidated by the truck owners. They may not like us very much but they probably envy you for the life style. A couple of points when fueling at Flying J, use the RV island when possible as you will be given the cash price for fuel whereas if you use the truck island using the same card they will zing you with the credit price. I try not to fuel up anywhere except at high use tanks as old Mom and Pop's might sell it a few cents cheaper but the fuel may be aged and contaminated. I spent about $1400.00 to have the problem of algae in my fuel system diagnosed and corrected. I now use a biocide regularly to prevent a reoccurrence. I have heard stories of problems at truck island with pins in tow equipment being removed and " always monitor the the second pump on twin pump islands to insure someone is not filling at your expense" You just have to remain vigilant, I have friends and family who are truckers and they agree, just be careful. Don't contaminate the coach use gloves and clean you feet....Otherwise Have a wonderful time...
lukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:28 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
When you fill up at a truck plaza, pull your rig forward before going inside for a receipt or change. This allows another truck to pull up to the pump behind you, and he will appreciate that. Don't worry about them thinking you are driving off. Pulling forward at least the length of your motorhome, to clear the pump island, is being considerate.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:23 PM   #8

Be aware that the "truck lanes" almost always have high flow nozzels. The flow rate may make it difficult to fill your tanks completely. Also, you may have to hold the trigger because the first notch will be too fast and shut off.

Some discounts are not available in the truck lanes. ie: Flying J credit card same as cash applies only on the car/rv side.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Some discounts are not available in the truck lanes. ie: Flying J credit card same as cash applies only on the car/rv side.
All discounts are available at Flying J truck pumps.

If you use Flying J's RV Real Value Club card and any credit card, you get the cash price and the RV discount. 6 cents total discount. I use the truck pumps only.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote