Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2017, 07:03 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
New Owner Advice Requested

Hello All,

I just got a 2010 Phaeton 40QTH with 42K miles and will be picking it up tomorrow. This is my first diesel pusher. I had a 34 foot gas rig about 25 years ago. It's been a while so it'll take a little getting used to. Any words of wisdom or gotchas for this particular model?

She has all new tires, batteries, the engine oil, oil filters, fuel filters, generator oil and filters, serpentine belt, etc., are just recently changed. He just had a new front A/C unit put in and a new front left leveler jack. Everything else seems to be working fine.

I'm getting a Blue Ox baseplate and tow bar for my car next week.

Thanks for any and all input.
aldera is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2017, 07:15 PM   #2

Just fill her up and co camping man
greenchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldera View Post
Hello All,

I just got a 2010 Phaeton 40QTH with 42K miles and will be picking it up tomorrow. This is my first diesel pusher. I had a 34 foot gas rig about 25 years ago. It's been a while so it'll take a little getting used to. Any words of wisdom or gotchas for this particular model?

She has all new tires, batteries, the engine oil, oil filters, fuel filters, generator oil and filters, serpentine belt, etc., are just recently changed. He just had a new front A/C unit put in and a new front left leveler jack. Everything else seems to be working fine.

I'm getting a Blue Ox baseplate and tow bar for my car next week.

Thanks for any and all input.

I have the EXACT same RV but 30k miles. I love it and have had only minor problems that were easily fixed at reasonable cost. Replacemented the slide out covers myself as they had been exposed to the Las Vegas sun for 6 years and did not fare very well. RV GEEKS has a lot of YouTube videos on repairs, replacements, tips and tricks which helped me immensely. Did have a water leak in under-sink area of the commode room. One of the female couplings cracked and I repaired it but the water messed up the circuit board for the pumps in the wet bay. Still not a big issue but why did they put electronics in the wet bay?

If you are not a fan of iRV2 then make it happen. I've learned so much from this caring and sharing community. Most of my questions have been readily resolved.

Words of Wisdom(?): I was brand new to RVs when I got my Phaeton and still learning a lot. My biggest challenge has been driving in a vehicle that can be a handful if not experienced. I'm most challenged in the wind and we get a lot if it out here. Like most say, "SLOW down" and it is manageable.

What I like most is the ability to just go where you want and enjoy the adventure. Got two new dogs and we are exploring in style. Had to learn to relax a bit as I was far too accustomed to hitting the road at 75 and doing 600 miles per day. Now I absolutely enjoy 65 and 300 miles with a stop at EVERY rest area. Dogs like it and I've met some great folks too.

Enjoy and reach out if you need something.

MrB1LL
Wpredinger@juno.com
702-334-8648
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:34 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenchicken View Post
Just fill her up and co camping man
Will do. Just bought a little patch of property on the Grand River and will be moving it there on Wednesday. That will be my staging area for future trips.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:38 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1ll View Post
I have the EXACT same RV but 30k miles. I love it and have had only minor problems that were easily fixed at reasonable cost. Replacemented the slide out covers myself as they had been exposed to the Las Vegas sun for 6 years and did not fare very well. RV GEEKS has a lot of YouTube videos on repairs, replacements, tips and tricks which helped me immensely. Did have a water leak in under-sink area of the commode room. One of the female couplings cracked and I repaired it but the water messed up the circuit board for the pumps in the wet bay. Still not a big issue but why did they put electronics in the wet bay?

If you are not a fan of iRV2 then make it happen. I've learned so much from this caring and sharing community. Most of my questions have been readily resolved.

Words of Wisdom(?): I was brand new to RVs when I got my Phaeton and still learning a lot. My biggest challenge has been driving in a vehicle that can be a handful if not experienced. I'm most challenged in the wind and we get a lot if it out here. Like most say, "SLOW down" and it is manageable.

What I like most is the ability to just go where you want and enjoy the adventure. Got two new dogs and we are exploring in style. Had to learn to relax a bit as I was far too accustomed to hitting the road at 75 and doing 600 miles per day. Now I absolutely enjoy 65 and 300 miles with a stop at EVERY rest area. Dogs like it and I've met some great folks too.

Enjoy and reach out if you need something.

MrB1LL
Wpredinger@juno.com
702-334-8648
Thanks for the info. Sounds like you like this particular model. Glad to hear it. I'm sure I'll have a few repair issues down the road. Bouncing down the highway has to loosen a few things along the way. Looking forward to the adventure.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldera View Post
Will do. Just bought a little patch of property on the Grand River and will be moving it there on Wednesday. That will be my staging area for future trips.
I am going somewhere tomorrow, waiting on delivery of parts to tow my 98 saturn toad I bought saturday

Baseplate adapter/ Safety cables.

Maybe Myrtle beach or the Outer Banks
greenchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:35 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to Tiffin World. You will love your new purchase after you get some miles and experience under your belt. I've been RVing for 9 years now and enjoying every moment even the problem ones. You will have some problems cause things just happen. Carry a tool set. I bought a $99 set from Home Depot that stays in the MH. Make sure your black/grey water sewer hoses are in good shape. I have a gasser which is a giant vibrator going down the road so something is always loose. Just got home from Gettysburg National Military Park. Had a wonderful trouble free time.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:31 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
In addition to iRV2, you will get much Tiffin specific information and ideas from TRVN. That's the TiffinRVNetwork.com, run by Tiffin owners, not the manufacturer.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:46 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithcoop View Post
Welcome to Tiffin World. You will love your new purchase after you get some miles and experience under your belt. I've been RVing for 9 years now and enjoying every moment even the problem ones. You will have some problems cause things just happen. Carry a tool set. I bought a $99 set from Home Depot that stays in the MH. Make sure your black/grey water sewer hoses are in good shape. I have a gasser which is a giant vibrator going down the road so something is always loose. Just got home from Gettysburg National Military Park. Had a wonderful trouble free time.
Sounds like you're enjoying the good life. Looking forward to some trips in the not too distant future.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:47 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nctox View Post
In addition to iRV2, you will get much Tiffin specific information and ideas from TRVN. That's the TiffinRVNetwork.com, run by Tiffin owners, not the manufacturer.
Joined that last night. I've got a lot of reading to do between all the manuals and forums!!
Old 06-05-2017, 08:27 AM   #11

Angry

I just recently transitioned from a 34' Dolphin to a new 40AH. My biggest take away is the extra 7' in overall length. Misjudged the extra length and rear end swing as I was pulling into to my space at home....$4000 of scrape along the rear side....

2016 Grand Cherokee Summit
jagbuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:29 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:19 PM   #13
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
My advice, in addition to that already received:

1. read the manuals that hopefully came with your mh
2. then study the manuals that hopefully with your mh
3. enjoy
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:25 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagbuxx View Post
I just recently transitioned from a 34' Dolphin to a new 40AH. My biggest take away is the extra 7' in overall length. Misjudged the extra length and rear end swing as I was pulling into to my space at home....$4000 of scrape along the rear side....
Yikes!! Sorry to hear that. I just picked mine up today and it'll take a little getting used to the length. I made the 30 mile trip home, including a fuel stop, without any scratches. Hope it stays that way. Good luck.

Tags
advice