Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2018, 06:58 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
New Purchase, Old Motorhome

recently purchased a 2003 Allegro 30a gas. 95k miles Workhorse chassis. This was sold by a dealer that was up front as a true handy man special and that was true to the extreme.
So far I have replaced sub-flooring in the kitchen, bath area. Rebuilt the toilet.
Had to work on both A/C to make functional. Dash instrument panel had to be rebuilt, Shower pan split, had custom made replacement installed. New shower curtain. New tires all around. ABS brake system repair, all brake calipers replaced, wood rot over all windows and sky light and more little stuff. Not complaining just establishing a base line for help.

1. Dealer replaced the two 6 V house batteries with two 12 volt batteries. Good? Ok?

2.Sewer flush line apparently plugged. I cannot locate where it goes into the black water tank. When water hose connected there is no flow.

3. It has a fiberglass spare tire cover on the rear, behind it is an open panel into the real storage compartment. Road dirt is sucked into the compartment. It appears there used to be a panel that closed that off. Is that so? How do I enclose that?
4. Left windshield is broken in several places. Are these available and where?
5. I am getting 6.5 MPG on my first 2000 miles, 2 door Jeep Wrangler toad, 60 MPH. Acceptable??
I would love to connect with someone who has a similar coach to be a resource.
By the way, I paid 10k for this unit as is, maybe not so smart but I got it now.
kirkpal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2018, 11:05 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like you bought yourself a project. You've got lots of work ahead of you and since there aren't too many coaches of that age range around, lots of this will be an adventure.

1. Go back to 6V, they have higher capacity. Look for deep cycle golf cart batteries as they work really well in an RV.

2. Most likely the spray nozzle on the sewer flush is plugged. The spray head is mounted to the top of the black tank on the passenger side. You are going to have to open or remove the passenger side wet bay panel to get to it. Most likely it only needs the spray holes drilled out to 3/32. The other end of the line is connected to a check valve and a vacuum breaker (usually in a bathroom cabinet). Check those as well.

3. You are on your own with this one unless you can find an owner of that vintage.

4. Two piece windshield? Shouldn't be a problem to find a replacement - take it to an automotive glass place and talk to them.

5. Sounds about right.

The Workhorse chassis had a massive brake recall. Not sure if your vintage was involved but you might want to research that and get any repairs made before you use the rig too much.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:26 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the reply. As far as the sewer spray, the check valve must be at or near the tank. The line is clear " I ran a fish tape about two feet until I hit something hard. I will look under the bath area next. Have not done that yet.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Sounds like you bought yourself a project........

The Workhorse chassis had a massive brake recall. Not sure if your vintage was involved but you might want to research that and get any repairs made before you use the rig too much.

IF the sixth character of the vin # is a "6", then that chassis was recalled to replace all four Bosch brake calipers. If you need to know IF the recall has been done, I need the LAST eight (8) digits of the vin #.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:51 AM   #5
Ruh

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 2002 30da, workhorse chassis. Ive had a brake job alignment done, both of vehicle painted, a rear trac bar put on now Im putting on a Safe t plus. New tires all the way around. Window tinting today, put a back up camera on. We had wood rot on drivers side floor (easy fix). Complete tune up with new belts, filters. I also had to have my auto park cylinder rebuilt. So far a lot of it was maintenance that had not been done, tires, tune up etc. and hopefully I want be doing again for a while. Flat towing a 2010 Honda accord, so we had to have tow package put on Honda. Whew, thats enough.
Ruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:02 AM   #6

Get AAA rv towing plan, before you head out. Camping World's towing plan is terrible. Dave
Old 08-07-2018, 09:12 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I use Coach Net for a towing plan, FMCA also offers one to it's members.
Your fuel mileage is about right.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You mentioned wood rot. Make sure you find and repair all the leaks. The replaced wood won't last if you still have leaks.

I had my MH pressure tested at Red Bay to find all the leaks. Found them around the front cap seal and passenger side window.
The Tiffin techs taped off all the window openings, around entry door, fridge vent, and other vent places. they used a huge fan connected by ducting to the roof vent to draw in air. Ran the fan for about thirty minutes then sprayed soapy water all over the roof openings and windows, door, etc and looked for air bubbles. Found 4 small pin holes which they repaired. This is the only sure proof way to find all the leaks.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:27 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
IF the sixth character of the vin # is a "6", then that chassis was recalled to replace all four Bosch brake calipers. If you need to know IF the recall has been done, I need the LAST eight (8) digits of the vin #.
vin 33364978

Shortly after I purchased the unit I became aware of the recall. I contacted the local shop who were a Workhorse authorized shop. The determined the recall had not been done and make an effort to contact Workhorse or who the current owner is. They could not get anyone to answer the phone at any contact they had. I knew the recall concerned the brake the calipers. I had a shop replace all four. I hope that resolved the recall issue??
Old 08-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
vin 33364978

Shortly after I purchased the unit I became aware of the recall. I contacted the local shop who were a Workhorse authorized shop. The determined the recall had not been done and make an effort to contact Workhorse or who the current owner is. They could not get anyone to answer the phone at any contact they had. I knew the recall concerned the brake the calipers. I had a shop replace all four. I hope that resolved the recall issue??

Tags
motorhome, purchase