Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2016, 09:36 PM   #1

Question New Tiffin 36 LA questions...

Hey guys!

My wife and I are looking at buying a 2016 Tiffin Allegro 36 LA and have a few questions about the coach that my dealer didn't know. They weren't super knowledgeable in general when it came to the coach, in fact, I knew more than one of the guys.

Anyway...

For those with the 36 LA, if you have the upgraded Pure Sine Inverter (which the one we are looking at does, as well as the residential fridge), shouldn't I be able to watch TV on the larger TV while driving without running the generator? I would think since it has a 2000W inverter, I should be able to watch this tv (running the tv and satellite dish) while driving, right?

Also, I saw it has 4 batteries but the battery bank is under the stairs and its so tight in there, it doesn't look like any larger battery would fit. And do you know what kind of batteries that typically come stock in those? I looked in there but couldn't see any info (whether they are 6 volt or 12 volt) without pulling them out (which looks like it would be a pain because they are so tightly fit).

And lastly, any comments in general on this coach? Love yours, hate yours? Anything? We are thinking of going down tomorrow and talk numbers. Has anyone experienced getting 30% off MSRP on one of these?

Thanks for all your help!

Marc
ghoticov is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2016, 03:23 AM   #2

not a good idea to watch tv while driving. you probably have 4 6volt interstate batteries. just open the step cover and check out batteries. Dave
Old 07-16-2016, 09:17 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Although you can run the residential refrigerator and watch tv on the road without the generator running on the tripplite inverter, i highly recommend the 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter. We have very few problems with our 36la. Two upgrades were progressive industries ems-lchw50c surge protector and 5 star tunner. Best of luck. ....
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:41 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Your coach gets electricity (both 12v and 120v) three ways.

When driving or running the main engine:
- 12V provided by the alternator charges the engine battery and coach batteries, runs the lights (via the batteries)
- Inverter supplies 120V to outlets that are wired for it. This includes your refrigerator, microwave, A/V system, and a few outlets.

Shore power:
- 120V is supplied by power cord.
- Charger portion of Inverter supplies 12V to charge house batteries
- 120V appliances, A/C, etc are supplied via the power cord.

Battery power
- 12V supplied to lights and Inverter
- Inverter supplies 120V to refrigerator, microwave, and the A/V system

That clear it up for you? Your batteries are probably from US Battery but Tiffin changes suppliers every once in a while. They will be 6V 230 amp/hr rated wet cell batteries.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:16 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Your coach gets electricity (both 12v and 120v) three ways.

When driving or running the main engine:
- 12V provided by the alternator charges the engine battery and coach batteries, runs the lights (via the batteries)
- Inverter supplies 120V to outlets that are wired for it. This includes your refrigerator, microwave, A/V system, and a few outlets.

Shore power:
- 120V is supplied by power cord.
- Charger portion of Inverter supplies 12V to charge house batteries
- 120V appliances, A/C, etc are supplied via the power cord.

Battery power
- 12V supplied to lights and Inverter
- Inverter supplies 120V to refrigerator, microwave, and the A/V system

That clear it up for you? Your batteries are probably from US Battery but Tiffin changes suppliers every once in a while. They will be 6V 230 amp/hr rated wet cell batteries.
Doesn't this Class A have an on-board generator, jus sayn
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post

Yes, but that isn't the point.
Indy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:18 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We have a 2016 36 LA with the 2000W inverter and in-motion satellite dish and have listened to football games / tennis on the main TV while driving without any problems. This is our first motorhome. but we both love it.
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:10 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Got interrupted "I'm ready, let's go now, we have to get going..." while writing the response. Yes, I forgot the generator.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:34 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 2015 36L and love it for the floor plan, we have the residential refrigerator and have no issues with it, would not go back to old school technology. driving while watching movies on TV is ok don't worry about it. I only have the Tripplite 1250 watt inverter that works, you will have (4) 6 volt batteries under steps. no issues so far just check water level so often. we full time in our unit and it has everything we need. i do not have the 5 Star tuning don't need it. i tried the cheap handling fix but it did not offer any better ride, i put it back to OEM. Do not have the Sumo springs, it is the one thing I will do. you will have issues no doubt, it is like driving a house down the road in a 4 point earthquake. Tiffin usually will stand behind their product. remember also RV sales people do not eat if they don't sell Rv's.
Tim
timmy g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoticov View Post
Hey guys!

My wife and I are looking at buying a 2016 Tiffin Allegro 36 LA and have a few questions about the coach that my dealer didn't know. They weren't super knowledgeable in general when it came to the coach, in fact, I knew more than one of the guys.

Anyway...

For those with the 36 LA, if you have the upgraded Pure Sine Inverter (which the one we are looking at does, as well as the residential fridge), shouldn't I be able to watch TV on the larger TV while driving without running the generator? I would think since it has a 2000W inverter, I should be able to watch this tv (running the tv and satellite dish) while driving, right?

Also, I saw it has 4 batteries but the battery bank is under the stairs and its so tight in there, it doesn't look like any larger battery would fit. And do you know what kind of batteries that typically come stock in those? I looked in there but couldn't see any info (whether they are 6 volt or 12 volt) without pulling them out (which looks like it would be a pain because they are so tightly fit).

And lastly, any comments in general on this coach? Love yours, hate yours? Anything? We are thinking of going down tomorrow and talk numbers. Has anyone experienced getting 30% off MSRP on one of these?

Thanks for all your help!

Marc
Is it possible the Inverter is not wired up to the TV's outlet?? Or would that not matter in this case. The Generator would normally kick on if there wasn't enough power from the batteries.
kijak2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:00 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good Luck on finding any new MH that does not have problems. All manufacturers cut corners and produce a poor quality product. You are on the right track by reading this forum. If Tiffin was perfect there would not be any posts of this forum. I have a 2014 LA36 open road. The window beside the passenger seat almost fell out. I had to replace a bunch of broken screws and reseal the window. Had problems with TV antenna and the powered shades which was not Tiffins fault. Two bolts that go through the subfloor near the bedroom wall came loose and caused 3/8' bumps in the flooring. Had to cut out small square of tile flooring to get to the screws and tighten them. Re glued the small tile squares and you can't even tell I did anything to the floor. Now I think the front dash is coming loose with broken screws after reading this forum. Having a MH requires constant maintenance. Tiffin needs to slow down and do more quality control during the manufacturing process. The answer to all your questions is yes. Basically you can do everything you asked about while driving down the road. For the money Tiffin is the best buy on the market.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:27 PM   #12

We have a 2014 36LA that is very similar to the new ones. We have run the mid or bedroom tv while driving with no issues. Great coach IMHO.
rreichar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin