Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2019, 05:05 PM   #1

New Tiffin owner, new to group, questioning quality of purchase.

After years of research, saving and narrowing down a coach for our family trips we purchased a 2019 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA this week. Coach had 1000 miles on it from delivery to PA and most lickley taken to RV shows in the area. Still a new coach. We did a ton of research on the quality of all the current RV's knowing and hoping our Tiffin fit the bill. But there is a lot of stuff wrong with our Tiffin at time of delivery, paint issues, damaged basement floors, small damage and scratches thru out. The dealer has been great so far with some of the concerns but had a lot of problems bringing it home. This is not a complaining post so don't take it the wrong way, we a trying to get feed back ( good or bad ) from other owners. In a 100 mile drive home with our brand new coach we had the bathroom door knob falling off and not staying shut during travel (had to stuff a jacket under the door to prevent it from opening ) found out later after fixing the knob, the striker plate is to far away from the lock plunger to keep the door closed, rear slide end cap falling off onto the bed within 20 minutes of the drive, shower shade falling down and screws going down the drain in the first hour, center caps on front wheels loose and wobbling to the point family following us said something looked wrong with the wheels and had to stop. After arriving home with time to really look at the details we noticed many of the cabinet doors where not aligned, some the hinges just needed adjusted but some the screws were stripped out and the hinges were loose and hanging, wires were hanging down from under the steps. I called Tiffin today and told them of one of the problems and asked for a solution, response was it is supposed to be attached a certain way and I responded it was not attached at all. Instead of helping me out with ways to fix it they said take it to a dealer, which is 100 miles away, not the response i was hoping or looking for. There are more issues but wont bore everyone. My wife and I are calling out to maybe some new friends for help and advise. Did we make a serious mistake in buying this Tiffin coach? All these problems happened in the first 100 miles when new, what is next? We are really starting to think we screwed up and wasted our savings. Any advise or comments (good or bad ) are appreciated, Thank you for your time, Chris and Shena.
Cabrunoaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #2

Call the Factory and ask to speak to Bob Tiffin. He is very accessible.This is inexcusable and unacceptable. Also your dealer should have caught some of this.Especially the bath door handle and the problem with the shower. But on the other hand how long did the coach sit on the dealers lot. I have seen some dealers canibalize a coach for parts to satisfy another customer.
I'm editing my post because I just re-read you post. Red Bay to Phittsburg is about 750 miles ( not sure where you live) and you mentioned it might have been a an RV show. That alone can destroy an RV. Which is why dealers try to get ride of them at the show.
So the scratches, loose wires and the door handle could have easlity been caused by an RV show and your dealer not taking care of it. I'd be looking at your dealer for answers before I would blame Tiffin Quality. Jus Sayin!
HortMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:35 PM   #3

Yes and no on the show RV possibility of damage. All the damage is factory related except the appliance scratches. Someone did not hang from the toilet cabinet and strip out the hinge screws or the two above the dinette or the driver seat. Just as many people opened the bathroom door as I do in a month at home. The wiring underneath is really bad. You can see the factory Ford wire looms and the Tiffin hack job to there features. The goal for this RV was for my wife to take it on a trip with family and friends with confidence without me while I am half way around the world. She does not feel comfortable currently and wont take it on her own. The bed room slide cap fell on her while she was laying in the bed. Hence the reach out. Thank you so much for the quick reply. Safe travels, Chris.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:55 PM   #4

I understand exzactly how you feel. But I have a question, did you not see any of this before you picked it up at your dealer? We spent six hours with the dealer during their delivery process. Did a few adjustments on things I would only see. Something went wrong somewhere.
HortMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:13 PM   #5

We did, had a full crew of us (2) plus four more that did an awesome job. So much green painters tape placed thru out the coach. It just became a blur at the end. I am not that " guy", and I trust the people we were working with. Just think they got there hands tied. Most of the grievances were handled that day with many items written down as an IOU. Most of the problems to follow were all new issues. I am a fabricator, welder, restorer, machinist, builder bye trade to eventually get to my chosen career, so I know the ins and outs of building and fixing things. Unfortunately I am not getting a check from Tiffin to fix all this stuff wrong and I payed for it to be correct at the time of purchase. Just venting brother, thanks for the input, Chris.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:17 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Every new RV has problems and Tiffin is no different. However, the severity of the problems and how they are handled with Tiffin as opposed to other manufacturers are worlds apart. Be happy you didn’t buy a Thor product.

My suggestion is to contact Tiffin again but make two lists before you do. First list is things you can fix yourself. For these things ask them to send you the replacements directly.

Second list is more major issues that might be tougher to resolve. They have techs that you can speak with and sometimes it might seem like a bigger problem than it is and those you might also be able to fix.

There will be things you can’t fix on your own. I wouldn’t go back to the dealer if you can help it. There are more reputable places that are authorized to do warranty work on Tiffin rigs and they won’t keep your rig for 2 months to do it.

We have had our rig for about 8 months now. Tiffin has been great sending us replacements for anything we asked for. We also found a place that does only Tiffin warranty work and the best part is they finish all work the same day. There’s no storage so they only take what they can handle and get it done.

Welcome to the Tiffin family. Once you get past the bumps it’s a great ride.
Hey_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:36 PM   #7

I really hope that is how its going to be. But the stand offish response, take it to the dealer comment I got from Tiffin today was an absolute shock from what I have read on line and talked to other owners about. Super disappointing. I just asked what I could do to fix it and he said take it to a dealer. Took a good time to get him to tell me where I could take it. 100 miles away to the nearest dealer and that's where I bought it from. Repair place is closer but its a Camping World. I would not let the change the oil on my dog walker.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:52 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We have called Tiffin many times and there are a couple of people that are not great. But more often than not get a sweet lady with a wonderful southern accent. If all else fails, ask for Bob Tiffin. I’ve never had to talk with him but as others have said, he cares about his customers and his product more than anyone in the business. No other owner goes to rally’s with teams of people to fix coaches.
Hey_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:12 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Tiffin has a very open policy about warranty repairs. If you have a person or dealership that you prefer to use that is closer to you, then contact Tiffin Service and get the authorization. Otherwise, take it back to the selling dealer and work with them. In the meantime, make a good complete list of everything that needs repair.

If you still are not happy, by all means call Bob Tiffin. Just a tip - stay positive and focus on getting things fixed. Bob will make it right. Don't be surprised if he asks you to return the coach to Red Bay or to another service center on the East Coast for repairs.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:28 AM   #10

Take the factory tour if you're in the Red Bay area. With your background and current skills, you'll understand why they come off the line in the condition you talk about. I come from many years of aircraft maintenance and our factory would be immediately shut down for clean up and retraining if it looked like theirs. I know they aren't building aircraft but there's a limit to the debris on the floor and the pace of work being performed.
One example is the couple who had a slide problem within a week of delivery. One of the slide rollers was missing. How does something like that get past the floor supervisor?????
IMO Tiffin factory quality isn't much better than any other manufacturer. It seems their service is what puts them a bit above the others but even that process is questionable. Their first come first served policy has several exceptions that you aren't told about during the check in process.
There were several people who went ahead of us even though they checked in after we did.
My experience with the phone calls has been hit or miss, depending on the person I reach at the time.
I haven't asked for Bob Tiffin yet but I do intend to draft a personal letter describing our recent experience at Red Bay. I'm waiting for a time when I can just state the facts regarding what we experience and keep the emotions out of it.
Everyone says he spends most days in the factory. I believe he would be better informed if he did some random, unannounced, visits to the Service Center to talk with the hundreds of people parked there.
We like our RV but the Tiffin brand isn't what it apparently used to be.
Just my opinion.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:15 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm lucky enough to be retired and I've had the ability to come to Red Bay for a week and take the plant tour every day that my new coach was going through the main plant. I've been back here to Red Bay for the last two weeks for the "Final Inspection." My wife and I have gone through the coach several different days, finding mostly cosmetic problems, with a few problem Doors and Drawers. But mostly paint and wood finish problems. There are still areas I need to inspect, but will complete those at the dealer next week.

I have to say though that we have been very picky, and the Tiffin employees have fixed every little thing we have asked them too. They have also been very good at giving us tips on maintaining and caring for our coach.

My previous coach was a 2004 Phaeton, that I never took to the service center for work, but visited to buy parts and talk to service folks several times. I was always able to get someone on the phone or in person who could guide me through fixing things. Sometimes you just have to ask who the expert at XYZ is and ask for that person.

Good luck with getting your problems taken care of. I agree with the other comments about fixing what you can with phone help and Tiffin shipping parts. If the dealer can't take care of the other problems, take it to Red Bay, get Bob to sign inside a cabinet door. And they will make it right.

Dale
DP76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:11 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I agree with JohnH12. Things at Tiffin have changed since the boys have taken over. It would be great if they had a appointment system for service bay repairs. My first impression of the build line was organized chaos. They were trying to build 13 coaches a day when I was there. Not sure how many they are producing today. The build line was the messiest production line I have ever seen. I am totally surprised that every RV rolling out does not have a flat tire from all the screws and stuff laying on the line floor. With all that said I would still buy another Tiffin.
Look at other RV builders and the quality is much worse then Tiffin quality. It is just too bad that all these things need "fixing" at the dealers lot and "Dealers" are the last place I would take my RV for repairs. To the OP: sorry to hear of your problems and concerns but just like everything else in todays world: "If you want it done right do it yourself"
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:26 AM   #13

This thread was started just before Christmas and the last post was middle of last month. Some seeing the same as you.... others angry with any bad talk about their Tiffin brand.
7 pages of fun reading.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/tota...ty-423853.html

I have a 6 month old 2019, and it has its shakedown list too, but very minor. The thing for me is, how long is the list and how severe. I'm fine with things like a crooked cabinet door or some loose trim, Im not ok with major damage that should have not left the factory, or that will require the factory to repair because it's above the dealers ability to fix properly.
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:34 AM   #14

I work for an RV dealer and we do monthly RV shows and sell Tiffin products. I've been inside hundreds of Tiffins and while they might have some small issues, I've never seen one with as many as the OP is telling us about. I'm not here to defend Tiffin but I can only report what I've experienced.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase, quality, tiffin