Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2017, 06:21 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
New Tire Age Limit

I am in the process of replacing the 6 year old Michelins on my Allegro 30DA with new ones. My dealer has accepted the Tiffin Club discount and he emailed me yesterday to say the tires have arrived. When I asked him what the date stamps were on them however, he has not yet replied. My question to you all is: what is the oldest date stamp you would accept? I'm thinking that I don't want to buy new tires that are older than 4 months. Is this unreasonable?
Thanks!
tedjr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2017, 06:48 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Well hopefully you let him know any date requirements before he incurred the cost of shipping the tires in......... and you not being able to get the tires you need in a timely fashion.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:22 AM   #3

I need to check out the Tiffin Club discount. I have missed this somehow. I do know about the FMCA discount.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:32 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not accept over six months.

One should tell a tire dealer up front so they can find the newest available. I recently put on a new set of tires, the dealers (large, multiple locations) inventory newest was about four months - he ordered from manufacturer to get about two months old.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:39 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
New Tire Age Limit

Thanks for your replies. I had told the dealer upfront that I wanted to get as fresh a set as possible, but his reply was that he gets what Michelin sends. As much as I would hate for him to incur any costs for receiving them, I don't have a written contract with him, and to accept "new" tires that are already half a year (or more) old seems like a raw deal to me. I'm going to reach out to him once more for the date stamps and see what happens. To be continued......
Old 03-22-2017, 08:43 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
While not MH tires, I once bought Michelins from Tire Rack for my traded-in Dually Diesel. Called them and before I made the purchase, asked what the date codes were. Too old for my liking, but they searched their inventory for the newest set of 6 they had and turned out they had a 4 mos old set. Great customer service for my now traded-in-for-Motorhome, sadly-missed, Ram dually.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:18 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
New Tire Age Limit

Good news! The tires were manufactured in the first and second weeks of Jan. 17. Can't wait to get them on and get on the road! I've read a lot of comments on this site about Michelins showing sidewall cracks early, so this is going to be something I'll be watching carefully. I always keep my tires covered and properly inflated so it should be an interesting experiment. I will post anything that I feel would benefit other drivers on this issue.
Thanks again and safe journeys!