Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
New to 38QBA - any secrets we need to know?

We are moving from a 2009 Fleetwood Discovery 40X to a 2011 Tiffin 38QBA - shake-down trip is this weekend. Anything we need to know about idiosyncracies of a Tiffin? We have a friend with a 2013 Tiffin 24 who had drainage issues in the shower (solved with a plumber's helper)...and issues with the door automatically locking on them; that's the kind of hints/helps we're looking for! Not looking forward to transferring all the crap out of old rig into new one; I suspect there will be quite a trash pile as we make the transfer!
Thanks in advance,
Barb
BDHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #2

Go to the Tiffin forum, you have cracked roof rails and rotted slide floor to look forward to. Your plumbing wet bay will be good. Lots of info on this stuff there. They are also just seeing a couple body to frame support brackets breaking. It is a new issue. Good luck to you. Have a friend with a 10 model like yours and he likes it.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Larry got a lemon and he is soured on Tiffins as you can tell. We love ours and haven't had any problems. However I do suggest you go and join www.tiffinrvnetwork.com where you will learn from owners everything you need to watch for. Not everyone has problems but knowing what to keep you eye on is valuable. Best part is that Tiffin stands behind their coaches well beyond warranty period. Congratulations on a great choice! Enjoy it!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
AS for the coach transfer, think of it as moving. We did that last May moving from a 36 foot '04 Southwind we had lived in half time for 8 years to our new Phaeton. It took two days and I watched my very organized DW sit down in the middle of the floor in tears saying it would never work. Later I found her walking in circles talking to herself. I won't go into my reactions.

Moving from our townhouse to our much smaller apartment was easier.

We finally have everything in its place and have found more storage room then we would have believed. "Moving day" has become a source of humor for us now that it is behind us. Now we just need to get to our first stop on the winter run and unload the surplus from the townhouse into our son's storage shed and life will be good.

WE just took the coach out for 30 mile run to check out the tow with our new Jeep and it was all we do to not just keep going. The 18th, can't wait for it!
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - Read my blog at https://goldberg-online.net/
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by xctraveler View Post
AS for the coach transfer, think of it as moving. We did that last May moving from a 36 foot '04 Southwind we had lived in half time for 8 years to our new Phaeton. It took two days and I watched my very organized DW sit down in the middle of the floor in tears saying it would never work. Later I found her walking in circles talking to herself. I won't go into my reactions.

Moving from our townhouse to our much smaller apartment was easier.

We finally have everything in its place and have found more storage room then we would have believed. "Moving day" has become a source of humor for us now that it is behind us. Now we just need to get to our first stop on the winter run and unload the surplus from the townhouse into our son's storage shed and life will be good.

WE just took the coach out for 30 mile run to check out the tow with our new Jeep and it was all we do to not just keep going. The 18th, can't wait for it!
We hear you there. We bought our new to us Tiffin a week before we went to pick her up. We spent days taking the stuff out of our sob and had a Good Sam camp out the week we were going to pick up the Tiffin so we still had to transfer stuff out of the old coach to the New. It was a long day. We are happy with our Choice. I know that no RV is with out flaws and will have issues but from all i have read Tiffin will try to work with you unlike some others that after the warrenty is up you are on your own.
Tractor16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmoses View Post
Larry got a lemon and he is soured on Tiffins as you can tell. We love ours and haven't had any problems. However I do suggest you go and join www.tiffinrvnetwork.com where you will learn from owners everything you need to watch for. Not everyone has problems but knowing what to keep you eye on is valuable. Best part is that Tiffin stands behind their coaches well beyond warranty period. Congratulations on a great choice! Enjoy it!
I have read posts from some that have moved on from Tiffin and bought another brand but keep coming back to new posters that are buying a Tiffin or thinking about buying one and try to bad mouth Tiffin. There are Lemon's in all things that are made. We did a lot of resurach before we chose Tiffin and we would still make the same choice.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You will find them in every forum. Some people have a hard time letting go of a bad experience. Me, I just move on, I stopped bad mouthing Damon a year ago - of course I traded that coach in '04 and there is no more Damon as such.
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - Read my blog at https://goldberg-online.net/
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by xctraveler View Post
You will find them in every forum. Some people have a hard time letting go of a bad experience. Me, I just move on, I stopped bad mouthing Damon a year ago - of course I traded that coach in '04 and there is no more Damon as such.
Good for you Paul. We are going to Lazydays in Tucson for about 5 nights and see some of the things around there. We are going camping with our Good Sam Group for Christmas Pot Luck on the 10th of December and then on to San Diego to see our Kids to spend the Holidays with them. We are thinking of going to Quartsites around the 19th of January to meet up with the Tiffin Group for a few days. We don't know where you are but we hope to meet you guys someday................Frank & Teri
Old 11-08-2012, 04:53 AM   #9

Them must be me, and I could care less what you buy, but people need to be aware that cracked roofs and rails , dropped interior ceilings, rotted slide floors, Mold on interior walls and cracked walls are not the norm for any manufacter. I have traveled 15,000 miles in 10 months and talked to many folks and this is not the norm for a new $300,000 unit owned by these folks. That is why Tiffin repair is so backed up with many serious issues. All have issues but most not this serious. If you love Tiffin or what ever buy it. But go informed. I see reality, and this is it. Tiffin will fix all, for months on end, no denying this.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #10

Funny how one person's experience gets extrapolated into a condemnation of an entire manufacturer's product line. We are on our third Tiffin, a 2005 40' Bus (too large for our life style), a 2011 28' Breeze (too small for us and two large dogs, and now a 2012 34' Open Road (just the right size).

No problems with the Bus, lots of issues with the Breeze since it was, in essence, almost a prototype, and now no issues with the Open Road other than normal small stuff unrelated to Tiffin.

With each unit Tiffin went out of the way to address questions, provide answers, and even agreed to "make us whole" when we couldn't resolve the Breeze issues and opted to move to the Open Road.

Occasionally ones gets a lemon. The real test is whether or not the manufacturer helps you make lemonade, or leaves you stuck with a lemon.

Dave
Dassman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #11

So I guess I am the only owner of the T product with the bad one. That is refreshing, I guess the 100 plus units in RB are there for a Vacation. I should have stuck with it for another 3 months of repair for 6 months of repair vacation or just spent another $150,000 on a new unit then had almost $400,000 in a Phaeton. Darn, I am a fool.