Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2018, 11:48 AM   #1

New To Us 1994 Allegro Bay Diesel Pusher - The Family's First Motorhome!

So, we’ve been looking for a while at campers in general, and really, motorhomes…since our Honda Pilot isn’t exactly a 1-ton chassis beast! LOL

We’ve been looking at this one in particular for a few, and even though I was still a little sick to my stomach over the weekend, Charity (my wife) essentially dragged me, kicking and screaming, to the place to make the deal.

Got it signed, did the final inspection and walk-through, and got a night of camping in before the weekend was out!! Luckily the weather was actually very pleasant, especially by Alabama standards – with temps in the mid 70’s and humidity not in the triple digits!! LOL

Today marks the 2 months mark of her dad’s passing, and camping was a huge part of her childhood and she wanted to make sure it was part of our girls’ as well…which I agree; the memories made with this will be worth infinitely more than small amount of money this ole girl cost.

Details: 1994 Allegro Bay M-34 Diesel Pusher 230 hp Cummins Intercooled Turbo 5.9L
1 Super-Slide for the couch and dinette
TONS of storage, especially it’s year – at 24 years old, the advancement in storage and the usage of the available space has increased exponentially, but this is still a potent contender in the storage department
1 Family owned – the dad purchased it new, and the son inherited it in 2014, and only put 300 miles on since then (it’s got 45k on the odometer now, which is nothing for a 12v Cummins!!)
It’s got the old style colors and interior – which I just stinkin’ love; makes ya feel like you’re actually “roughing it, smoothly” 
Overall – very clean, drives well, and things seem to be in order!

For those who didn’t know – I sold motorhomes and trailers for 5 years before coming to AT&T/DexYP in 2007. I’ve had tons of experience driving, and was able to borrow any used unit on the lot – so long as we cleaned it up when we brought it back!!! I borrowed a 40’ Quad-Slide Full-Body Paint Discovery once….THAT was a fun trip! I even proposed to Charity on a trip that I borrowed a super clean 34’ Double-Slide Bounder Diesel back in 2005!!

One other thing is that the tires are just at 5 years old...they look great, no dry rotting, seems aok - but I know there's a lot of thought out there on tire age...any suggestions? (OTHER THAN buy new tires...of course, I'd love to...but it's just not in the cards at the moment :-(
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2018, 11:54 AM   #2

Old 05-02-2018, 12:54 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the group! Beautiful looking ride. Your family is going to love the experience. To be on the safe side.

Batteries-test them
Engine oil-Have sample tested
Transmission oil-have sample tested
Air Filters-Replace(they decompose with time)
Other filters-replace if you have the oils changed
Wiper blades-replace

All I can think of at this time.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
First off, welcome to the Tiffin family. She's a beauty!

Another resource you might want to check out is tiffinrvnetwork.com which is independent of Tiffin and run by owners for owners.

In addition to what Les said, I would take it to a tire dealer and have them inspected. If it only has 300 miles since 2014 there could be some dry rot from sitting. For the safety of your loved ones, taking a chance on tires is not worth the risk.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 05:36 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looks good! Congratulations..
As others have mentioned, I would not trust those tires, and batteries might be a good idea too along with all other mentioned items..

Enjoy!
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:44 PM   #6

I really appreciate the input and suggestions...

Went through the outside tonight, shop vac'ing the outside compartments, getting everything spic and span in the undercarriage...It's got a LOT more storage than I at first thought!!

I truly wish I could afford to get new tires, but I simply can't...that's part of the reason why my family is riding in the Pilot for awhile on these camping trips...we're able to experience some great memories and be able to afford the experience (which can be half the battle when you're trying to make ends meet moving 800 miles south to take care of your wife's parent(s) after yours passed away, still having a home in Ohio and putting it all together.

I'm sure all of you have been here in one way or another. I'm sure it will be a good ride down and back, and that we'll have another set of memories to chalk up to the childhood that builds great people for the future!

I'll certainly let everyone know how it goes!! Maybe I can try and post some pics while at JellyStone Gulf Shores!!
Old 05-03-2018, 09:16 AM   #7

Hope you have a safe trip. Several RV dealers down around gulf shores area. If you have time you might check on getting 2 Sumitomo tires for the front and usually pretty low priced. Might try to find I65 and skip going I75 thru Atlanta. Dave
Old 05-03-2018, 09:29 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
If.....you can’t replace the front two tires...and...you don’t have a safe-t-steer (or such) on the front, then you should at least get a safe-t-steer (or such) on the front.
This will help in case of a front tire blow out. Assuming one will fit your rig, they’re good insurance, low cost, easily installed, and overall a good idea. Do a forum search and read more on these products.

Safe travels!
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allegro, diesel, motorhome