Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2019, 04:56 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelino View Post
Dosxx,
We also picked up our new RW on Thursday, May 30th. We stayed at the dealer for two night, because of some problems. Then we took 3 days to drive it home, about 900 miles.

While at the dealer, another RW owner, that had their's about a month, opened our frig door and saw we had a gallon of milk in it and told us that they had their door fly open and the container spilled all over the floor. I didn't think too much of it then, but later before leaving the dealer, I tugged on the door thinking it was latched, only to find out like you, the latch was too low to go into the catch aboe it. I noticed the door seems to have a slight sag to it. The dealers tech came over and we looked to see if there was an adjustment. We didn't see any, but I did notice that if you lifted the door from the bottom, it moved up. so the tech took the door off and put a nylon washer on the bottom shaft and put the door over it. that raised it about 1/8 inch and the latch was then high enough to catch. I was surprised to see you had the same problem. it sounds like something that needs some engineering fix and to think taht Tiffin doesn't even know or catch stuff like this. In case you are wondering, the plastic trim piece that sorrounds the digital controls on the frig pops off and then you can see there is a hex head bolt on the right side that goes into the lower door. When taken our, the door will then move away and you can lift if off the bottom shaft. I think the shaft or hole size for the washer is about 1/4 inche or so. I think the tech had to drill out what he had to slip it over. About 1/8 inch thickness is what was needed in mine. Of course a better fix would be if the door could be adjusted so it didn't sag to the left by the catch side.

And we took found this annoying clanging sound over every little bump. We thought it was some pots we had put in the drawer, but then we found too it, was the screen door. We stuffed a piece of cloth between the screen and main door, thru the handle opening and that took care of it for now. The coach is then quite quiet on the road, but prior to that, it was very disturbing. Not sure what needs to be done to provide a permament fix.

I couldn't agree more about the complexity of the 2019 Sprinter. Hitting the road and finding things that are pretty intuitive on other vehicles is not on the Sprinter. I think it can be a real liability for folks wihtout proper instruction. They, Sprinter sould put together a quick start guide, to get the basic out, without all the disclaimers and warnings on every page of the manual. We actually downloaded the manaul a month ahead of time and read it all, thinking that would better prepare us, but not having the vehicle while doing so and what I find is a poorly written manual, we were still confused as to how things worked. Even trying cruise control was a msytery to turn on. I found also that the brake lights don't work unless the engine is started, when I was trying to test my toad lights. The parking brake doesn't release when you push the button and put it down. I guess because they say it can be lowered and keep the brake on, you have to do it more than once to get it to release. I have to reread the manual as we are still not sure exactly how it works.

Today we tried to start it and it had a message that there was a fault and to see the owners manual. Didn't explain anything, so we tried again. I know we've had messages that the key was not detected and to put it in the slot. So in this case, I reinserted the key and then it started. My big fear with the Sprinter is that it leaves us stranded somewhere, Too many sensors to go wrong.
We picked our 2020 RW up on May the 15th.

Same problem with the refrigerator. I used a plastic spacer to open up the catch (forcing it lower) so it would catch more of the movable door latch. I like the idea of spacing the door up a little. I'll take a look at that. Thanks for the tip. I'm also having trouble getting the drawers and the bathroom door to stay closed going down the road. I'm at the Winfield service facility now. During the tour yesterday, Trent said they were aware of the problem with the soft-close drawer slides and are moving to a stronger hold close force version. Retrofit will be available.

I love the 2019 Sprinter Chassis. Yes, there are a lot of whiz bang controls and displays but, frankly, I found most of it pretty intuitive. I'm very tech savvy though and enjoy all the features. I can see how it might require some study and yes, you really do need to read the manual. I agree a quick start guide would be helpful and especially think Mercedes (and every manufacturer) should publish an electronic manual tailored to each individual vehicle, showing only the installed options and features.

I too was having some trouble getting the engine to start sometimes. The displayed message told me to put the key in the designated area but I had to go back and read the manual to figure out that was a little slot very low on the center console. Now that I know were it is, it works great and makes a nice holder for the key fob.

On another note, did you get a slide-topper on your RW? While I was taking the Winfield plant tour yesterday Trent asked me if I had one on my coach. Answer, no I don't. Trent - "We can put it on in 20 minutes for you. I'll have the guys pull it in now." That and a bunch of other things about the visit really cemented my already positive opinion of Tiffin! More on that later.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2019, 04:51 PM   #16

Dosxx,
Yes we did get the slide topper. I found out it was an unlisted option when we ordered and got it. It seems to work fine. I heard that Trent pushed to offer them on the Wayfarer, so not surprised that he brought it up to you.

I talked with support today and they suggested adjusting the door catch to stop the rattle. I found the screws on the latch were loose and tightened them as well as move the latch plate back. I haven't test driven it yet, but the door fits tighter when closed.

As for the drawer slides, mine seem to be ok, but we did have one drawer open up in a turn one time. We have been very cautious in driving it, so perhaps in move aggressive turns, we'll have a problem. Good to know they have a better drawer slide.

On another note, we have the tri -fold couch, and found the pedestal table wobbles quite a bit. The first night at the dealer, we discovered this and ate on it very carefully. The second night, I noticed the screws that hold the floor flange down were sticking out some. I went to tighten them and found they were all stripped out. then checking the flange between the driver/passenger seats, those screws were also stripped out. Either someone used too much torque on them, or my bigger fear, is that the flooring isn't holding the screws well. I was told that they recently changed the type of sub flooring on the Wayfarer and it is more of a fiberglass composite. If so, I hope they test it for its ability to grip the screws. There are other screws we can't see that hold down cabinetry to the floor. I plan to send Trent a note and video.

I also found the floor flanges for the table post, seems to allow the post some wiggle. I bought some flanges from Camping world on our way home and today, I decided to install them, as they seem to hold the posts better, and used a number 10 screw inplace of the thinner screws that Tiffin used. Also found the really long Tiffin screws didn't do much as only about 3/8 to 1/2 inch of the floor board was the fiberglass portion and the next layer is styrofoam, so that long screw didn't do anything further, It didn't quite make it to the bottom layer. I used 1 inche screws. They seemed to tighten, but I didn't get a positive feel that they were snug and didn't want to strip them out. I used the same holes as the originals.

The table doesn't wiggle as much any more. You might check yours while you are there and let us know if they do something different.
Travelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:38 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelino View Post
Dosxx,
Yes we did get the slide topper. I found out it was an unlisted option when we ordered and got it. It seems to work fine. I heard that Trent pushed to offer them on the Wayfarer, so not surprised that he brought it up to you.

I talked with support today and they suggested adjusting the door catch to stop the rattle. I found the screws on the latch were loose and tightened them as well as move the latch plate back. I haven't test driven it yet, but the door fits tighter when closed.

As for the drawer slides, mine seem to be ok, but we did have one drawer open up in a turn one time. We have been very cautious in driving it, so perhaps in move aggressive turns, we'll have a problem. Good to know they have a better drawer slide.

On another note, we have the tri -fold couch, and found the pedestal table wobbles quite a bit. The first night at the dealer, we discovered this and ate on it very carefully. The second night, I noticed the screws that hold the floor flange down were sticking out some. I went to tighten them and found they were all stripped out. then checking the flange between the driver/passenger seats, those screws were also stripped out. Either someone used too much torque on them, or my bigger fear, is that the flooring isn't holding the screws well. I was told that they recently changed the type of sub flooring on the Wayfarer and it is more of a fiberglass composite. If so, I hope they test it for its ability to grip the screws. There are other screws we can't see that hold down cabinetry to the floor. I plan to send Trent a note and video.

I also found the floor flanges for the table post, seems to allow the post some wiggle. I bought some flanges from Camping world on our way home and today, I decided to install them, as they seem to hold the posts better, and used a number 10 screw inplace of the thinner screws that Tiffin used. Also found the really long Tiffin screws didn't do much as only about 3/8 to 1/2 inch of the floor board was the fiberglass portion and the next layer is styrofoam, so that long screw didn't do anything further, It didn't quite make it to the bottom layer. I used 1 inche screws. They seemed to tighten, but I didn't get a positive feel that they were snug and didn't want to strip them out. I used the same holes as the originals.

The table doesn't wiggle as much any more. You might check yours while you are there and let us know if they do something different.
Thanks for the tips on the table. I'll check that out. You might try using some superglue in the hole before installing the screws. Obviously, let the glue dry COMPLETELY before installing the screws. It makes a sort of anchor for the screws that's better than just the wood.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 06:57 AM   #18

Norcold Refrigerator

Our 2019 Bay Star has the same issue with the refrigerator door. We were on an extended trip a few weeks ago and the door came open unexpectedly. The pin catch for the refrigerator was barely catching. I removed the plastic cover that covers the controls to get a better look and the only thing I could come up with for a quick fix was to "shim up" the lower hinge. I made a temporary shim by adding a few wraps of galvanized wire and it worked. I was just at the selling dealership for a fix and they added a number of washers. Seems to have worked but I will be keeping an eye on it. It appears to me that Norcold produced a lot of refrigerators with poorly hung doors.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:07 PM   #19

Earl II,

Inrteresting that you too had the Norcold door problem. You would think that by now, Tiffin would check that as part of their final inspection and fix it if necessary so customers could avoid a bad experience.
Travelino is offline   Reply With Quote