RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2019, 08:19 PM   #1

New Wayfarer's 2020 models to begin production

I just found out that Tiffin will start production of 2020 model Wayfarers next week on the new 2019 Sprinter chassis.

Retail prices are about $9K more, give or take.

The navigation system will be supplied by Mercedes, so its included in the price as standard, along with many of the Sprinter safety features, and the leather seats will be from Mercedes and both passenger and driver are electric and heated and swivel. Color will be black. And the 7 speed transmission. Gross vehicle weight remains the same.

Side mirror cameras are not available at this time, but at a later date, and the accordian style front window shades will also be available at a later date, because of some changes to the cab.

The Truma hot water system is now standard in this price and the only option.

The 24BW floor plan is no longer available. There are 4 plans including the new 25RW plan.

New paint schemes as well as interior choices. I did note that one of the new exterior paint options is called Sea Mist and looks to be a light metallic gray on the upper portions with very little dark colors in the pattern. I like that, as in the hot South, I think it will reflect the heat better.

Travelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2019, 12:31 PM   #2

Thanks for this post as a Wayfarer is one I am considering.
FYI, Dean of LTV has a video of the new cab on Youtube. Very interesting and pretty much what has been reported over the last year.

Looking4rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:13 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Tiffin really needs to figure out how to get some weight out of these things. With some of the lowest OCCCs in the industry, their priority should be on weight savings.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:22 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I noticed at an RV show this weekend the 2 Wayfarers on display with leveling jacks also had aluminum wheels vs steel with stainless steel covers. That drops about 70 lbs before adding the weight of the jacks back in. My battle born lithium saved me weight as well given how light they are. I'd be interested in learning what jack system they are now going with to drop 50lbs there (the ones at the show still had Equalizers).

One thing the wife and I noticed is the quality of the competition is pretty crappy compared to the Wayfarer. No regrets at all on our choice of manufacturer and model. Too bad they didn't have competing units sitting side by side (show was organized by dealer, which I get).

Sorry to hear about the BW floor plan being dropped. That is the floorplan I went with and I really like it (although the sofa bed is hard as a rock to sit on and I'm debating swapping it out for recliners). The QW is close, but not quite the same IMHO. The full wall slide models with the Murphy bed look huge inside, but you lose a closed off bedroom.

Thanks for the 411.

Best,
-Mark
Old 03-17-2019, 09:54 PM   #5

But, Mark...now your BW will be a "collector car".

+++++

Wondering if Tiffin might be considering a 4500 chassis vs. 3500 ?
That changes GVWR from 11,030 to 12,125 lbs.
The 7 speed will help fuel economy a little too.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:53 PM   #6

No 4500 Mercedes chassis, those will not come as an RV chassis....RVs will be 3500s according to the factory sales rep.
"Don't worry, you won't hurt this 3500 chassis.' says he.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:13 PM   #7

It doesn’t surprise me that Tiffin is dropping the BW (rear slide out bed) since the Winnebago dealer told me in the summer of 2018 that they too were discontinuing their “G” model of the View. He said that it was the worst selling View model and that the corner bed was the biggest seller. I was surprised to hear that the corner bed (have to climb over othe other person to get out of bed to use the toilet) was the best selling View, especially when the biggest pool of purchasers are baby boomers.
Rob918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:46 PM   #8

The Tiffin Wayfarer line had two read slide out beds and they still offer the other model, the QW.

I was surprised when they announced the new RW with Murphy bed, that they didn't drop the FW Murphy bed model.

Personally, I think the new RW is much more practical, offering more living and seating space and a much nicer bathroom than any of the other models.

The decisions may have been based on prior sales and trying to limit production to no more than 4 floor plans. It will be interesting after they gain some sales experience with the RW to see if they will drop or change other floor plans.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:24 PM   #9

29 years since owning a 33' Executive. Ready for the next RV. Very impressed with the elegance of the 2020 Wayfarer RW, and then begin hearing negatives about occupant and cargo capacities. Combined wife and I are about 280#. Will tow a 2dr Wrangler. With full fuel and fresh water tank, please comment and advise your experience of how much cargo we can carry. Thanks. Eddie Horn.
Eddie Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:31 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Really depends on floorplan and options you have and then any add-ons or mods you make. I have the discontinued 24BW, which was the heaviest of the lot. Given I almost weigh your combined weights on my own you are way ahead of the game. Can you get better weight capacity with another rig? Sure. Will everything break and fall off in your hand with those "lighter" materials in those other coaches (much like a 70s AMC Gremlin or Pacer)? Probably. Something to be said about quality and great customer service. Want the save a bunch of weight? Look at the batteries, wheels, levelers.

Enjoy!

Best,
-Mark
MarkMaxPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:21 PM   #11

I ordered an RW and it was just completed. The OCCC is 681. I wish it was higher, but I feel I can live with it.
The OCCC is the capacity combine for passengers, water and stuff.

Already included is full fuel and full propane, so that doesn't count against the OCCC.

Your passenger weight is less than us too,, so you are a bit ahead of the game.

Our configuration is pretty loaded, including the hydralic leveling jacks (which add about 130 lbs).

I also get the feeling that the RW floor plan is a bit heavier than the others, but not by much. I do think its the most usable floor plan and is the best useage of space for living space, plus the only one with a decent size bathroom and vanity. Storage inside is great oppositve the Murphy bed. We order the optional couch that also makes up into a bed, our preference, so will have two couches when not sleeping or two beds if we get made at each other.

We did a trial weigh-in by pulling together a sample set of clothes, kitchen stuff and estimates of food, etc, linens towels and found we can stay under the GVWR.

As for water, we don't plan to drive around with full tanks, but only fill up just prior to arriving at places to dry camp. Filling it up with full water, plus what we carry, will put us over the GVWR.

Also, to note, the gross axle weights of the front and rear axles add up to more than the certified GVWR that Mercedes states by about another 1100 pounds. Not to be abused, but I suspect it will handle ok by going slightly over the GVWR, but I would't push it the full 1100 lbs that the axles are rated for over and above the GVWR.

If you haven't done so already, Tiffin has the new 2020 Wayfarer on its website now and you can get the weight specs there plus the combine so you can figure towing a vehicle too.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:25 PM   #12

Thanks for the info on the Wayfarer RW.

Additionally, anyone hearing what amount of discount can be negotiated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelino View Post
I ordered an RW and it was just completed. The OCCC is 681. I wish it was higher, but I feel I can live with it.
The OCCC is the capacity combine for passengers, water and stuff.

Already included is full fuel and full propane, so that doesn't count against the OCCC.

Your passenger weight is less than us too,, so you are a bit ahead of the game.

Our configuration is pretty loaded, including the hydralic leveling jacks (which add about 130 lbs).

I also get the feeling that the RW floor plan is a bit heavier than the others, but not by much. I do think its the most usable floor plan and is the best useage of space for living space, plus the only one with a decent size bathroom and vanity. Storage inside is great oppositve the Murphy bed. We order the optional couch that also makes up into a bed, our preference, so will have two couches when not sleeping or two beds if we get made at each other.

We did a trial weigh-in by pulling together a sample set of clothes, kitchen stuff and estimates of food, etc, linens towels and found we can stay under the GVWR.

As for water, we don't plan to drive around with full tanks, but only fill up just prior to arriving at places to dry camp. Filling it up with full water, plus what we carry, will put us over the GVWR.

Also, to note, the gross axle weights of the front and rear axles add up to more than the certified GVWR that Mercedes states by about another 1100 pounds. Not to be abused, but I suspect it will handle ok by going slightly over the GVWR, but I would't push it the full 1100 lbs that the axles are rated for over and above the GVWR.

If you haven't done so already, Tiffin has the new 2020 Wayfarer on its website now and you can get the weight specs there plus the combine so you can figure towing a vehicle too.
Eddie Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:17 PM   #13

New 2020 Tiffin Wayfarer hands on review!

Just took delivery of a 2020 Tiffin Wayfarer 25RW and just finished driving it 1000 miles. Living in it for 4 nights. First the learning curve on just the sprinter is considerable. I don't mean the driving but the on-board computer. After 4 days, just getting started with the computer. Driving the Sprinter is a breeze. Adequate power and very smooth handling. Mileage was 14mpg. Figures to need to be broken in. "Miss Mercedes" kept picking up on conversation between me and the wife and kept interrupting. Need to learn the system.

The RW...we are in love with it. The layout with theater seats is roomy and meets our lifestyle like a glove. So far all of the systems work as advertised. Only issue so far with the build is rattling coach door and Norco made the refrigerator latch defective so the door will not stay closed. Minor alteration should fix that. Call to Norco tomorrow. The weights are as advertised...TIGHT! I had it weighed on a CAT Scale leaving the dealer and we were 180lbs under GCWR with minimal gear
300lbs of passengers, and 2/3 load of fresh water. It will take some managing. We don't dry camp that often so running with 7-10 gallons of fresh water and empty holding tanks would be the norm. Thus that should leave us roughly 250lbs for other gear. We won't be fulltiming so won't need that much gear. We also plan to tow a 4 down toad (Ford Fiesta) which is half the tow capacity in weight. Probably throw some gear in there. Bottom line, we love it. Tiffin's build (beyond the door rattling) is impressive and does not disappoint. Maybe the lighting here and there could be a little better, but no complaint.
dosxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:37 PM   #14

Dosxx,
We also picked up our new RW on Thursday, May 30th. We stayed at the dealer for two night, because of some problems. Then we took 3 days to drive it home, about 900 miles.

While at the dealer, another RW owner, that had their's about a month, opened our frig door and saw we had a gallon of milk in it and told us that they had their door fly open and the container spilled all over the floor. I didn't think too much of it then, but later before leaving the dealer, I tugged on the door thinking it was latched, only to find out like you, the latch was too low to go into the catch aboe it. I noticed the door seems to have a slight sag to it. The dealers tech came over and we looked to see if there was an adjustment. We didn't see any, but I did notice that if you lifted the door from the bottom, it moved up. so the tech took the door off and put a nylon washer on the bottom shaft and put the door over it. that raised it about 1/8 inch and the latch was then high enough to catch. I was surprised to see you had the same problem. it sounds like something that needs some engineering fix and to think taht Tiffin doesn't even know or catch stuff like this. In case you are wondering, the plastic trim piece that sorrounds the digital controls on the frig pops off and then you can see there is a hex head bolt on the right side that goes into the lower door. When taken our, the door will then move away and you can lift if off the bottom shaft. I think the shaft or hole size for the washer is about 1/4 inche or so. I think the tech had to drill out what he had to slip it over. About 1/8 inch thickness is what was needed in mine. Of course a better fix would be if the door could be adjusted so it didn't sag to the left by the catch side.

And we took found this annoying clanging sound over every little bump. We thought it was some pots we had put in the drawer, but then we found too it, was the screen door. We stuffed a piece of cloth between the screen and main door, thru the handle opening and that took care of it for now. The coach is then quite quiet on the road, but prior to that, it was very disturbing. Not sure what needs to be done to provide a permament fix.

I couldn't agree more about the complexity of the 2019 Sprinter. Hitting the road and finding things that are pretty intuitive on other vehicles is not on the Sprinter. I think it can be a real liability for folks wihtout proper instruction. They, Sprinter sould put together a quick start guide, to get the basic out, without all the disclaimers and warnings on every page of the manual. We actually downloaded the manaul a month ahead of time and read it all, thinking that would better prepare us, but not having the vehicle while doing so and what I find is a poorly written manual, we were still confused as to how things worked. Even trying cruise control was a msytery to turn on. I found also that the brake lights don't work unless the engine is started, when I was trying to test my toad lights. The parking brake doesn't release when you push the button and put it down. I guess because they say it can be lowered and keep the brake on, you have to do it more than once to get it to release. I have to reread the manual as we are still not sure exactly how it works.

Today we tried to start it and it had a message that there was a fault and to see the owners manual. Didn't explain anything, so we tried again. I know we've had messages that the key was not detected and to put it in the slot. So in this case, I reinserted the key and then it started. My big fear with the Sprinter is that it leaves us stranded somewhere, Too many sensors to go wrong.