Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Red face New Zephyr or Allegro Bus, That is the question

I currently have an 09 Damon Tuscany and like the coach but wanting to upgrade to a Tiffin product. I have heard so many good things about the company and are only 2 states away so I thought I would give them a try. Problem is, do I go Zephyr or Allegro Bus? Any help would be appreciated in experience between the two. Latest posts I found were from last year and was looking for something updated. Thanks in advance
roboniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #2

You may hear a lot of opinions, but there is no one here that can answer that question for you. You need to look at the available floor plans (primary concern) and then options as compared to your needs. Once you find the coach that best meets your specific requirements you will have answered your own question.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks and you are correct. Kind of torn right now and was just wondering on past experience of owners of these 2 coaches, especially the zephyr as it seems to be a little more scarce. Is it worth the extra money is the big question and still boils down to me in the end.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:18 PM   #4

Wink Bus or Zephyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboniko View Post
I currently have an 09 Damon Tuscany and like the coach but wanting to upgrade to a Tiffin product. I have heard so many good things about the company and are only 2 states away so I thought I would give them a try. Problem is, do I go Zephyr or Allegro Bus? Any help would be appreciated in experience between the two. Latest posts I found were from last year and was looking for something updated. Thanks in advance
Tim, the zephry has more Luxury items,one step higher grade of allmost everything, using the same frame and engine technology as the Bus. The Zephyr is heavier, gets less fuel mileage for the same space.The new price for Zephyrs is significantly more than a Bus. The Phaeton of course is one step down from The Bus. It's the general rule,the more you spend,the more you get. Most of the time, anyway.
airbusdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:10 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The Zephyr lists for approx. $175,000 more than the Bus, so it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:05 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maybe cruzer will see this post...he seems to be the Tiffin expert and can give you some real life advice.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Maybe cruzer will see this post...he seems to be the Tiffin expert and can give you some real life advice.
You might want to check out his review on the 2010 Zephyr ( RVcruzer.com - 2010 Zephyr 45QBZ Review ) it's another good one.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #8

If you will allow the analogy:

Zephyr -> Cadillac
Bus -> Buick
Phaeton -> Oldsmobile

The Zephyr does not use the same frame as the bus. It is on the Spartan K2 frame, beefier than the Powerglide/Spartan/Freightliner that the Bus comes on, and because of that, it has a bigger 500 HP engine and more powerful transmission.

Yes it costs more, but hey, it is the Cadillac of the lineup! So you get a lot more bells and whistles "standard", whereas you will have to pay extra for same bells and whistles in a Bus.

Check out www.tiffinrvnetwork.com for more Z and Bus owners. Lots of friendly folks there.

//Karl
nuketea7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
AWESOME!!! Thanks this was very informative...
Old 04-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

View my Zephyr review mentioned above as well as the Allegro Bus reviews. That should give you quite a bit of information.

In addition I'll add these two points:

If you order a new Allegro Bus you will be getting the new EPA-2010 engine that uses urea and SCR injection. That's just the way that things are going to be in the future. However, it's a sizeable price increase over the previous engines - $17,500 to be exact. That brings the price difference between the Zephyr and the Bus to more like $100K. Those are list prices so your real upcharge for the Zephyr is only about $75-80 grand. And the "Z" includes a number of things as standard that were optional on the Bus.

Also, the Zephyr will continue to use the pre-EPA2010 Cummins ISM for bit yet. That means that you don't have to deal with adding urea or those other hassles. The reason for this is that Tiffin bought enough chassis to finish the 2010 model year run of Zephyrs. But, the Allegro Bus sales went through the roof (it was the number one selling diesel pusher last year) and they did not have enough of the "old" engines to finish the 2010 model year.

Other than that, the review should tell you the main differences between the two. If I could afford one, I'd think real hard about moving to a Zephyr right about now. It's an awesome coach and the chance to skip the urea hassles would make it very attractive to me right about now. But, unfortunately my bank account says "keep what you have - it's a good one".
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Thanks, you are truly the "MAN". I read the info and I learned more from it than the salespeople so far. It pretty much made up my mind. Now just have to sell the Damon and move from there. Looking at Dixie RV in La as I am in la. but also considering Lazy Days.

Also considering doing the Montana LLC. Anyone have experience or input on this route? I am currently a business owner so either way it will go thru the business but saving the sales tax is very tempting. Just don;t know, is it really a good way to go?
Old 04-14-2010, 05:54 PM   #12
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by roboniko View Post
Thanks, you are truly the "MAN". I read the info and I learned more from it than the salespeople so far. It pretty much made up my mind. Now just have to sell the Damon and move from there. Looking at Dixie RV in La as I am in la. but also considering Lazy Days.

Also considering doing the Montana LLC. Anyone have experience or input on this route? I am currently a business owner so either way it will go thru the business but saving the sales tax is very tempting. Just don;t know, is it really a good way to go?
The Montana LLC is being discussed here.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:30 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Well thanks to everyone. I have made the jump and gone with the Zephyr. Will be picking it up later this week and looking forward to the weekend to get everything moved in and figure out all the gadgets in this thing. Wish me luck...... Will post some pics after I get her settled in.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:50 AM   #14

Congrats...you're going to love it!