Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Newbies wondering how to avoid freezing at 11 degrees.

Hello new friends. My husband and have journeyed to Mississippi to pick up our new Tiffin Allegro 31 SA. We've covered 3000 + miles from Oregon and are visiting Vicksburg MS FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS AND PICKING UP OUR NEW PLAYHOUSE ON Monday. Very excited, but as usual the weather is being temperamental this time we've battled ice, snow and cold to 10 degrees...all in an effort to travel cross country using the southern route
What do we do to avoid our systems freezing up? Do we dry camp? Semi dry camp/keep our little home winterized? Heat tape wrap vulnerable plumbing? Camp out at the dealer indoors until the thaw comes in three days? Surely some of you have the answers that we really need to know. Thanks in advance. We plan to stay in Mississippi for a couple of days then want to roll down to Florida wherever we can find some warm weather. Many thanks, Carol & Greg
altrego52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2014, 06:24 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey Guys, I am no expert but, I would run dry and even run a little antifreeze to make sure you don't have any issues. If you don't do this I would not let the heat turn off and in fact I would crank it up!!
Just my thoughts!!!
Craig N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
do you have any mechanical ability at all?
Old 01-25-2014, 07:04 PM   #4

Sherman RV maybe ? As long as you are in a campground with the gas furnace running, the wet bay will be heated also. If you are traveling, I would run the furnace while on the road also. While in the campgrounds I would unhook the water hose and drain the hose at night and then hook it back up the next morning. We are supposed to have a high of 60 Sunday and not get above freezing again until Thursday. It's not supposed to be this cold in Ms, must be that global warming I keep hearing about!
Old 01-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Water it up and turn on the furnace it should have ducted heat to the water and holding tank bays. Check with the dealer/factory rep. I just came from MI to FL and the temps were as low as 19, no problems. OH, don't leave the hose out in freezing weather.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is information for winter travels or camping or if not what to do to winterize.
As long as your furnace is on and set to comfortable temps you should have no problems I have traveled with fresh water in tank at 1* temps and camped for days in same temp with out a problem, need full LP tank and furnace on.
Enjoy your travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:16 PM   #7

Use your onboard fresh water tank. Drain and store your hoses. If your staying in campgrounds or where you have hookups put a sixty watt drop light in the wet bay. Electric heaters help but are not a necessity. Run your furnace like you would in a house. Open cupboard doors under sinks at night so heat can circulate into those areas. Above all have fun your not punching a clock.

We have lived in our motorhome in temps as low as minus fifteen without major problems. It's not as much fun as warm weather camping but not a problem.

Enjoy it
Elf
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Head south and look for warmer temps.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:41 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
do you have any mechanical ability at all?
You have a lot of good suggestions. I was asking if you had any mechanical abilities before I was going to start typing. Don't know if you are buying new or not but maybe you dealer can help show you some things on Monday.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:51 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
florida here, altho last week we had few days with 30's. but today waking up to 55 to start the day, sure beats those temps u are in now.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:20 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Cold

Go south ASAP!
alandsusy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Go south keep heat on air moving
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes we do have some ability...suggestions? Thanks.
altrego52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by altrego52 View Post
Yes we do have some ability...suggestions? Thanks.
All suggestions were good I guess come up with a plan that feels the most comfortable to you. Ask your seller he knows the unit best, you hope.

Tags
newbie, newbies