Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by racersedge View Post
like is I just told you. NADA post all kinds of off crap on their listings. been there seen that many times NO one suggested there was not a OPTION available on the 36LA.It comes standard without one and maybe just maybe this guys unit came standard without one? imagine that!!!
Well Slideouts, awnings, electric steps, etc. are also listed as "options" if you want to look at it that way. Would be pretty strange to see a new coach with none of those 'options' too. The 600W Inverter is bottom tier and what you get if you don't specify something better... like the electric steps, awnings, etc.

But if you are willing to take the OP's only post as gospel for now and not believe NADA, then fine. Personally, I'll wait for the OP to provide us with the make model number of his charger....and if then I am proven wrong, I'll bow out gracefully with an apology.
Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2014, 12:21 PM   #16

Actually not so strange. My Adventurer has a small inverter at the entertainment center that gives 110 power to the TV, DVD, and one hidden plug. When off shore power all systems run off 12v or propane, the entertainment system pulls from the inverter, or I must run the generator to power up plugs. This works fine for us, as we seldom dry camp, and on our TRACKS trip on the flatcar we really didn't miss the lack of 110 power, but then we were prepared to "ruff it".
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
Actually not so strange. My Adventurer has a small inverter at the entertainment center that gives 110 power to the TV, DVD, and one hidden plug. When off shore power all systems run off 12v or propane, the entertainment system pulls from the inverter, or I must run the generator to power up plugs. This works fine for us, as we seldom dry camp, and on our TRACKS trip on the flatcar we really didn't miss the lack of 110 power, but then we were prepared to "ruff it".

Interesting. I am somewhat surprised that a coach, even built nearly 10 model years ago, would not have a 'real' inverter/charger. I wonder if the later models Adventurer are still doing it that way? Still, my descriptive use of the term, " later model " coach at the beginning of this thread was not intended to address coaches older than 3 or 4 years.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #18

Heres the facts as we stand here now;

1) OP says he owns a 201236la and it has no inverter
2) I did admit more than once its strange a unit this big ,new and fancy has not got one
3) NADA book is full of misprints,untruths and options shown that were not available
even though it ask,s to tick one off
4) According to TIFFIN FACTORY specs the base deal starts with a 110Volt/12Volt CONVERTER

why u keep yapping about NADA baffles me? NADA says OPTION does not say BASE UNIT comes with inverter
Look at the NADA list, Did u even look? they ask about 30+ different options that where never ever available on this particular UNIT that's why the NADA listing means NOTHING in this argument
racersedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Heres the facts as we stand here now;

1) OP says he owns a 201236la and it has no inverter
2) I did admit more than once its strange a unit this big ,new and fancy has not got one
3) NADA book is full of misprints,untruths and options shown that were not available
even though it ask,s to tick one off
4) According to TIFFIN FACTORY specs the base deal starts with a 110Volt/12Volt CONVERTER

why u keep yapping about NADA baffles me? NADA says OPTION does not say BASE UNIT comes with inverter
Look at the NADA list, Did u even look? they ask about 30+ different options that where never ever available on this particular UNIT that's why the NADA listing means NOTHING in this argument

I certainly grant that your number 4 is correct. Tiffin lists the unit as a 120V/12V CONVERTER. I have seen this same descriptive term used for Inverter units so some uncertainty remains....but if Tiffin provided any of their recent coaches, such as the OP's 2012 36LA, without an inverter, I find it unconscionable.

IF this is truly the case, my suggestion to the original poster would normally be to replace the entire Converter unit with one with Inverter capabilities.. that being the most efficient and cost effect way... but a big problem remains with the installation of any Inverter.....hooking up to existing AC breaker system and coach outlets. For that, he certainly should have a qualified service electrician do it.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:12 PM   #20

that is why I said in my VERY FIRST POST its a very hard technical job to try and install a Inverter after the fact and wire like the factory does.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #21

Wow, arguments ensue as to my awareness of what's in my coach. My coach has no inverter. I'm not interested in debating that. The 2012 36la was a mid year entry and an inverter was not even an option. I know what I have, and what I don't have. Inverters are standard on the 2013's. Tiffin screwed up.
I'm done with this thread and appreciate the one response that felt it would be a nightmare to retrofit one. I felt that way as well.
Thanks!
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #22

Quote:
I find it strange because of all the options and how fancy these 36LA units are. they have BIG four door fridges,big gen sets,lots of TV,s,washer/dryer etc . usually when a unit this large and so well optioned they would have at least a 1500 or 2K inverter system
My point is that the flat panel TV's all use lower voltages internally and it appears at least one manufacturer is selling large screen 12 VDC units. That eliminates the major reason inverters were needed in a lot of RV's. I just checked the spec on the current version and it lists the refrigerator as dual fuel, propane and electric. They also list 2 6V batteries as standard. That begs the question of what one would use a small inverter for. Most of the serious loads are too big to run off that battery bank while all the small loads are run on 12 V.

I am not trying to start something but think this is something folks should understand to calibrate expectations. Unless the unit has something like a 4 - 6 battery bay it will not be able to supply a high wattage inverter. It may not need a low wattage one for anything on board. Adding the extra capacity and wiring would add a significant chunk of cost to a unit that is price pointed as a deluxe gasser (for lack of a better description) unit. OTOH if it was a small DP price pointed another $100,000 higher I would agree with you.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:37 PM   #23

My point was its a 140K unit new seeing as it has a ton of options offered surely they could have put in a 2 K converter just for convenience they run fine off 2 six volt batterys for short term useage and its easy to add 2 more if needed
Old 07-06-2014, 07:06 PM   #24

Nothermark: I agree with your views. Converting 12VDC to 120VAC then back to 12VDC is wasteful. Having a 12VDC running directly off battery bank is most efficient. Unfortunately Tiffin does not see it this way. Then again, there is the view by some that most people will have 120VAC available to their RVs as do households and so that is the TV they install. I have not seen any 42+ inch screen TVs that run off 12VDC.... perhaps that is a limiting issue for Tiffin? Also, they would have to run additional 12VDC wiring to the TV and entertainment centers if that equipment all ran off 12VDC.

I also have to agree with the others in this thread, since I must consider that RKH knows his coach as he claims, it was very stupid of Tiffin not to include a small Inverter in their provided charger for the 2012 models. There are other issues besides just TV.... entertainment devices, and rooftop satellite dishes, ability to just charge cell phones and tablets, etc.. It does not take any significant increase in wiring to do that.... a couple runs of romex between the Inverter/Charger and the breaker box is all. ( Do you note that, RKH? - it's tricky for some but not " incredibly difficult".)

Anyway, apparently Tiffin has figured out their problem as the 2013 models did all come with a minimal amount of Inverter capability in their Charger units.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I really can't believe you people. All this whining over whether a 2012 Open Road should or should not have an inverter. I had a 2012 Open Road and I knew it didn't have an inverter when I purchased and no, I didn't think it was big deal. Other comparable gas coaches of that era didn't have them either.

Starting in 2013, Tiffin has added inverters to the Open Road line. The first ones were to power the entertainment system only. With some of the 2014 models, residential refrigerators and more batteries (and larger inverters) are available.

Let's not forget, the Open Road is the intro level RV in the Tiffin line. You want all of the fancy stuff, you pay the big bucks. If you bought a RED, Phaeton, or Bus and didn't have these things, you would raise a ruckus.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #26

you call a 36LA at 140K MSRP entry level?
Old 07-10-2014, 07:06 AM   #27

Quote:
Yes.

People here are trying to compare it to $250,000 and up units. It seems that some folks do not realize that there are finite costs for the chassis, drive train and box. Once one accounts for those the difference in cost is the amount of fancy stuff. Part of that is trim like Corian over Formica and part is the extra 4 to 6 batteries in the bay to supply the big inverter.

BTW an easy rule of thumb for inverter draw is to divide the wattage by 10 ie drop the last zero. A 2000 W inverter would draw ~200A. Pretty tough job in a coach that only has 2 6 V batteries in series. Even Golf Cart batteries.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I guess you are pretty inexperienced in the pricing of new Class A motorhomes. The gas motorhomes are the lowest price units in the Tiffin line - just like they are in any other motorhome manufacturer's line. And no, class A gas units are not created equal as some manufacturers turn out some really cheap stuff.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter