RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2017, 09:48 PM   #1

No lights or other 12V power without Generator running

2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA. Recently realized the circuit breaker for the inverter out was tripped. I reset it and the inverter now has power. Switch set to Auto. Shore power is on and working 120 appliances, but have no internal 12V power; steps, dashboard 12v outlet, ceiling lights, tank monitor panel all dark. The only time everything is working is when the generator is running. When I shut down the generator the voltage level on the monitor panel slowly drains to zero and all 12V power goes out. I have no clue what to check next.....

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. - Jim

JUlrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2017, 11:43 PM   #2

I'm thinking you have multiple issues.

Have you checked the batteries for electrolyte. Full charge voltage at the batteries 12.6>12.8 volts.With no load.
The voltage at the batteries should be 13.2 to 14.1 volts when the inverter/converter /charger is working properly.
If one C/B on the inverter was tripped there may be another , but that wouldn't explain why you have 12 volt to the interior with the gen set running.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:11 AM   #3

No lights or other 12V power without Generator running

I disconnected the 6V batteries and tested each one. One was at .15v and the other at 6.09v . Seems like the one 6V battery is dead. Would that explain why there is no 12v power when shore power is connected? I have 12v power when the generator or the engine is running, just not when shore power is connected. I also tested the inverter output when it was in the "charge only" position with shore power connected; it read about 8.5v .... thoughts?
Old 03-18-2017, 11:30 PM   #4

If the dead battery was in the system , then it could be confusing the charge circuit.
Re-test with good batteries.
More info here.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
Old 03-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #5

Skip - thanks for the response. I have new batteries, but I need to remove the dead batteries first and that is another obstacle I can't figure out. the batteries in the Allegro 36LA are in the steps. I've removed the cover step, but there is an outer rim plate that has about a 1inch lip making the access opening too small for the batteries to pull through. Some on this forum in other areas suggest there is a way to remove the rim plate referencing a link on TiffinRVNetwork forum (they say look for Battery Removal link as it has some illustrations on how to remove them). Unfortunately I'm unable to get on that forum without the administrator activating my newly registered account. Been waiting a couple of days on that already...guess I'll have to wait longer. ... but thanks again for the tip..... Jim
Old 03-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I tried to post a link you wanted but it called for a login, sorry
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #7

Gary, Unfortunately i can't open the link without an account. Been waiting a couple of days already for the administrator to activate the account. Could you possibly copy the page and and post here or send via email? thanks.......
Old 03-19-2017, 12:51 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sent you back a Pm with what I hope is the info you need
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #9

Gary, yes, I read the PM, but I'm not able to find the screws he was referencing. Was hoping there would have been a photo....... but again, thanks for the effort. It's very much appreciated.......
Old 03-19-2017, 03:45 PM   #10

Smile No lights or other 12V power without Generator running

After reviewing several blogs including all the tips you guys have given, I retested the power on the Tripp Lite inverter/charger. What I found was a small lever thats embedded in the thermal breaker switch (see "Breaker Tripped" photo). I barely saw it in the shadows as it's black and blends in with the switch. As soon as I pushed it up (See "Breaker Reset" photo), all 12V power returned to normal. So all this time while the inverter showed everything green, it wasn't actually sending enough power through the batteries to light up anything. I will need to replace the batteries as they aren't holding a charger, but at least I'll have everything power if on shore power, generator power or engine running. But at least I have some relief until I can get with Tiffin on how the top plate cover comes off. A tip from another thread led me to look from underneath with a flashlight. Unfortunately I found that, in my case anyway, that the top plate is welded to the side walls, so there isn't a way to remove the top. I'll call Tiffin on Monday to find out how to get the batteries. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again to all for the tips...without them, I wouldn't have gotten this far. Thank you... Jim
Old 03-19-2017, 03:47 PM   #11

It doesn't appear my photos are attaching... if anyone wants to see them, just send me your email address and I'll forward... thanks again! - Jim
Old 03-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #12

resending photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Breaker shown tripped.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	155338  
Old 06-10-2018, 08:48 PM   #13

Thanks for the post! This fixed my inverter problem!!

4woods is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, light, lights, power