Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Yea IT guy here, would love to get into this and play a little. Can someone point me to the source?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2019, 08:16 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
manderson2228, Jimjensen3 and anyone else that is interested:

You can find the raw code at:
https://github.com/rvc-proxy/rvc-proxy

For a detailed open source "cookbook" on what hardware to use and details on how to build the system from scratch email me (click on my avatar) your email and I'll send you more info.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:56 AM   #17

Thanks for the help!

Will take a look. Thanks again
Jimjensen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:17 PM   #18

Rob - Do you have any updates to a possible alternative solution for anyone who wants the Coach Proxy functionality?
jimbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:42 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbel View Post
Rob - Do you have any updates to a possible alternative solution for anyone who wants the Coach Proxy functionality?
Just the roll your own solution previously discussed. If you want to email me your email I'll give you a link to my work-in-progress "cookbook".
It describes the hardware requirements (Raspberry Pi and CAN board) and the interface components for Firefly/Spyder G5/G6 environments, as well as how to configure the software. It's a bit out of date as there are several updates to be added.

I hope to get the updates incorporated soon and ideally going forward I'm hoping to be able to create a downloadable pre configured image for a Raspberry Pi that would provide generic functionality and save a lot of up front configuration work. Current versions support internet connected wifi networks as well as local only wifi networks. The local only option doesn't support Echo (Alexa) or remote access.

Customization for your specific coach is done via a graphical drag and drop interface (Node Red) which runs as a web page. Some others are also working on using Home Assistant as the primary interface.

Click on my Avatar to send me an email (please avoid using PM). Thanks! Rob
Old 12-04-2019, 07:27 PM   #20

There seems to be a commercial replacement available.
I emailed Spyder.
They recommended the Firefly Mira.
Cost is $550. The process is that you pop off the main control panel, install the Mira Bluetooth module, reflash the control firmware, then their app on your phone can control all functions via Bluetooth.
I have the documents, if there is any interest I will post them.
Unless I can get a dealer to install it, I would personally likely hold off until the warranty expires.
sbradley02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:21 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Is it only blue tooth not wifi?
RTC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:26 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTC1 View Post
Is it only blue tooth not wifi?
Correct, Bluetooth only. Don't know what the range is. Tile Pro can go up to around 160ft, don't know if Mira is comparable.
sbradley02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:34 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Hard to believe with the technology out there that spyder cant come up with a wifi system. We monitor our temps via govee sensors, would be nice to adjust Syper panel remotely. Not sure if the Bluetooth would be a value. Good info, thanks.
RTC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:27 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Coachproxy is back!

For all you Tiffin owners, I just recently discovered that Mike Fischer has posted the complete CoachProxy system in a downloadable image form at https://github.com/rvc-proxy/coachproxy-os. Go to the Docs folder then view the Download_Image.md. This is a pretty simple and straightforward process.

It currently supports 2015-2019 Tiffins directly, it will probably support newer models at least partially by choosing a similar model/floorplan. It might not be that difficult to make minor tweaks. I have tried it out and it worked for me but of course was not fine tuned to the systems on my Entegra.

The only remotely nerdy thing you need to do is create a text file with your wifi network SSID and password and copy it to the boot directory of the image as described in Download_Image.md.

For hardware you need a Raspberry Pi 3, CAN board, a 3M crimp connector (to fit Firefly) and 4 conductor cable. This can be put together for as little as ~$110. See https://github.com/rvc-proxy/coachpr...uild_Device.md for more info. Also you can review the Hardware section of my document which goes into a bit more depth about the hardware: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...t?usp=drivesdk

Once it is up and running, you simply use your favorite browser to connect to the IP address of the device, that's it! There are many ways to find the ip address, one is from your router, another with an app like Fing, which will scan your network and show the connected devices.

Good luck, let me know how you make out or if you have any questions.

Rob
Old 02-08-2020, 04:23 PM   #25

Has anyone started making coachproxy like device?
Donnie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:29 PM   #26

Can you please post documents for Firefox Mira? Thanx
Donnie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:28 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie R View Post
Yes, contact: david.earnest@rvcommander.com
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:20 AM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Coachproxy image download is plug and play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie R View Post
Yes, I tested the open source (free) coachproxy image download in post #24. Download image with Windows and copy to SD card. Very easy, no programming required, same as commercial CoachProxy. Wifi based, supports remote access, notifications and Alexa integration. For most Tiffin models up to 2019. I'm using it as a base and reconfigured for my Entegra but is plug and play for Tiffin owners. Link to image download page:
https://github.com/rvc-proxy/coachpr...nload_Image.md

Hardware is Raspberry Pi and CAN board. See links in post #24 and Readme file, or
https://github.com/rvc-proxy/coachpr...uild_Device.md
If you have questions on hardware I can answer most.

Cost for all parts can be as low as about $125 sourced from multiple vendors, or you can buy a pre assembled kit of Pi+CAN for $150 from Copperhill Tech (get Extended Input Power version). All else needed are a $4 connector, a couple feet of 4 conductor RV-C wire (you can get both from Firefly) or 20-22 gauge CATx wire and an extra micro SD card or two for backups.

You crimp the connector to the wire with a pair of pliers, wire the 4 conductors up to the CAN board terminal block and plug it in to your Firefly panel or drop tap.

With wifi networking, remote access, Alexa integration (which provides "Scene" capability) and the possibility to do your on add-ons and modifications, this is a much more useful system than Mira for much lower cost.