Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2014, 08:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Our coach is now 14yrs. old(Newmar). We've talked about getting something newer many times. We've been to many RV shows, most recently the Tampa show this past winter. We're both of the same mind, the new ones don't have anything ours doesn't, so why trade or sell. We've done some remodeling, and had a custom paint job done through the years and she looks better, and is more liveable now than when new. The best part we don't owe a thing on it. Don't get me wrong if a manufacturer built a coach that fit ALL our needs and didn't cost my first born, I'd swap in a heartbeat. But I also believe the overall quality of ours puts to shame the new ones.

Amen!!
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2014, 08:28 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to waylntat2
Agree ,, it not fair. About CC.on RV.s bought a new Journey 40U and been in the shop 7 of the last 9 month's.. leaks in to the lower bay and the slide.. and Jacks down light while on the road .thay have fixed, with hope this time.. headed out soon maybe a trip. with no big prob.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:43 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Warranty and dealer reinversments

A little off topic but I wanted to share because it reflex the attitude of many big industry manufacturers nowadays. I worked a better part of my life as a technician in the auto and marine industry. I did a lot of new product prep of customers new soon to be pride and joy purchases. I treated each prep as if it were my own purchase and I spent sometimes days repairing poor quilty from workmanship done at the manufacturing level. We would document all repairs in writing with photos and sometimes even return bad parts per the manufacturers requests. The customers were happy with there new purchase. Many would return to us as repeat customers only to find out we no longer carried that line of product. Why they would ask? Because in most cases the manufacturer would pay only 10% of the time and effort to repair their mistakes. You don't stay in business as a dealer very long reaping those returns. Solution? Find another line of product and hope their quality is better. In most cases it was not. Bottom line, the manufacturers have to step up and stop passing the problems onto the dealers and the customer. How do they do this you ask? Why charge more money for their product of course.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Your correct OP! QC is a real issue, price point on new MH maybe not, as pointed out inflation and dwindling profit margins certainly have affected consumer prices on ALL retail items. But hey, you solved the problem! Don't buy anything, loose the life style, sit don't wander. Take it with you whatever it may be??
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:59 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
as pointed out inflation and dwindling profit margins certainly have affected consumer prices on ALL retail as pointed out.
Of course greed does't play into this picture

Old 04-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
A lot of the QC has to do with supply and demand,you see more coaches on the road now than you ever have,there selling them faster than they can build them and they know people are going to pay no matter what the price is.This all started when people started paying a buck for a 16oz bottle of water.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
This all started when people started paying a buck for a 16oz bottle of water.
But it's flavored !!!!!

Old 04-27-2014, 11:26 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Your correct OP! QC is a real issue, price point on new MH maybe not, as pointed out inflation and dwindling profit margins certainly have affected consumer prices on ALL retail items. But hey, you solved the problem! Don't buy anything, loose the life style, sit don't wander. Take it with you whatever it may be??
We agree. They have always said you cant take it with you. As some of our peer group start going through health and life issues we have come to the conclusion that money is only worth what you can get for it. If we don't spend it our kids will.

We are the ones who have to decide how we will enjoy the dollars we worked for and saved. If having a healthy bank account gives you pleasure - great, if going out for dinner, shows or travel are you bag - great, pass it on the children - I am sure they will spend it. Its your money and who are we to question your motives or pleasures.

We have to realize that the craftsmen of yesteryear are few and far between. We have embraced the culture of farther, faster, cheaper so it is naïve to think that quality will improve in the near future. (It was pointed out that we will not pay higher prices in one of the previous entries.)

Think of how much more an evenings entertainment is nowadays. Why back when I was young I got an allowance of 0.25. I was able to go to the show and buy a soda and have a nickel left over. Today - ???

Regardless we all make good decisions based on our past experiences and sense of values. Those of you who were able to buy RV's with the quality and workmanship of the past are very fortunate. I imagine those of us who buy a new one now will be saying very similar things in 10 or 15 years when we start to look for a replacement.

No matter what you drive, it is great that we can enjoy whatever we chose to the fullest extent.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #23

so what to do...

I want to share a story I read about a group of guys who put together a consortium of investors to build a piece of equipment for a large scale endeavor. Once they had the plan and scope of work figured out, they went and pitched the idea to an even larger group of investors. The idea was 'sold' and production began. Visions of great wealth were in the eyes of everyone that invested.
As build processes go, it was a little rough, lots of delays, with labor and materials in short supply. They had a definite time line to hit or the project would have to be delayed until the following year. Lots of pressure to 'get 'er done'.
Well the biggest complaint that was driving everyone crazy was the lack of quality. It seems the workmanship was not what it used to be and that corners were being cut for the sake of finishing the job.

The guy doing the most complaining was Christopher Columbus.

I guess trying to build three very complex, state of the machines has been a challenge for a long time.
Tom
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #24

Many good points above. It is the reason we will keep our nine year old quality built coach. Many upgrades have made it even better with time. We all find our comfort zone, for some its buying new, for others its upgrading there existing coach. Just decide what works best for you. No right or wrong answer.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #25

A few upgrades to my 2005 Airstream 396 XL DP and it looks great and is great condition so a new coach is not in the future for me. I put in a new couch recliner set up and it even gave it that "NEW" coach smell. Now if someone would come up with a NEW COACH fragrance in a spray can you could feel like you had a new coach all the time.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:37 AM   #26

new or used

I guess what I was trying to say is that new or used, these coaches require a fair amount of TLC. When our time comes I don't know if we will build, buy new, or look only at used. But either way, you weigh the pros and cons and understand that there will be maintenance and issues to deal with. Hopefully, not too many issues. Can't live the lifestyle unless you play. And that is the goal.
Tom
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:56 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
A few upgrades to my 2005 Airstream 396 XL DP and it looks great and is great condition so a new coach is not in the future for me. I put in a new couch recliner set up and it even gave it that "NEW" coach smell. Now if someone would come up with a NEW COACH fragrance in a spray can you could feel like you had a new coach all the time.
You can get new car fragrance in auto parts stores..
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:08 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Ok, I will throw in my opinion for what it is worth. I agree with the fact that there are some major quality control issues with some coaches that should have been caught at the factory, no doubt of that. But then I think about the hundreds of coaches out there, not on forums, just out enjoying their motorhomes. These forums are really used a lot for requests for help with a problem - no problem, most don't post. So we get a slanted point of view from reading forums, no doubt in my mind about that having met many people over the years in campgrounds who are never on forums, never had any major issues, fix little things themselves.

Here is what else I see - we as consumers demand more and more goodies on our coaches. Manufacturers want to sell their production so they try to give us what we want. Well, the coaches today are nothing like those from a few years ago. They are much more complicated to build and maintain - they are homes that move. If you ever have the chance to go through the factory tour at Red Bay, AL, you should. Your eyes would be opened to why some problems might occur and not be caught. It is unbelievable what goes into building one of these. The good part about Tiffin's factory tour is that you can get right in there and see it up close and personal.

We demand more and more and yet want the price to stay within reason (our reason). Manufacturers have to keep price at a price point that people will buy their coaches with the knowledge that they must also keep up with the competition with amenities so margins get tighter. They have to sell more units to make the same profit. To sell more units they have to produce more at a faster pace. Mistakes get made, hopefully not huge, unfixable mistakes but they do happen.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote