RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2015, 01:10 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
No power to Coach

Just returned from shop with an airconditioning issue and a small relay recall fix for my 2015 Phaeton. Plugged into my 50 amp service at Park and inverter still says inverting. Still running off Batteries when plugged in and when generator on as well. Please Help.

DennisJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 04:39 PM   #2

not really to knowledgable about inverters, but i believe you should have a way to turn off inverter (swithch etc.) if you can turn off inverter, maybe house power will take over. Dave

allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:47 PM   #3

On my Allegro Bus I have to shut off the generator in order for shore power to come in. My inverter light is still on with shore power. Call Tiffin to be sure.
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:03 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
If no power is passing to your coach from either shore power or generator it usually means that the transfer switch is the problem. Both shore power and generator power are passed through the transfer switch. You could have a bad circuit board. Those TRC transfer switches are notorious for this problem. Have you checked the transfer switch with a meter to see if it is powered on both ends? If not, that's your problem.

I see you have a 2015 Phaeton. Since you are under warranty, call Tiffin service (256-356-0261) and tell them about your issue so they can first help you troubleshoot, then send you a circuit board or new transfer switch for free.

I do know that my 2009 will allow the generator to run even while on shore power. I don't intentionally run it while on shore power because it can cause damage to the transfer switch but I have had power to the post go out while I was gone and returned to find the generator running and power restored. Generally the transfer switch defers to the generator to prevent a problem.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:54 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Dennis,

This is why your next purchase is going to be a Progressive Industries HW50C EMS system for your coach. At least you would know if you have any incomming power to the coach and, if there was a problem, it would tell you.

Let's start at the beginning - you check the voltage at the outlet with your multimeter, right? You are checked to make sure the circuit breaker was turned on, correct?

The generator has preference over any other source of power that comes in via the transfer switch. This is by design. So if your generator is running, no power from the pedestal will be passed. Turn off you generator before you plug your coach in - it's a lot easier on your transfer switch.

If you have turned off your generator, check to make sure you have power at the post and have flipped the breakers on and still don't have power in the coach, haven't heard the transfer switch go "clunk", give the transfer switch a good whack with palm of your hand. Sometimes that is all it takes to get the relays to move. If you still have nothing, check your 50 amp breaker at the power panel in your bedroom closet. Although unlikely that this is the source of your problem, flip that breaker off and then back on.

If nothing works, turn off your inverter and use the battery disconnect to shut off your batteries and then call Tiffin Service. Probably the best solution is to call your dealer and get the coach back to him and let them fix it. You don't want to discharge your batteries completely waiting for service which is why I suggested you turn everything off.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:00 AM   #6

Check for circuit breaker reset buttons underneath/back right corner of your inverter/converter...should be three of them...one might have tripped...
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:34 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So what was the outcome?????
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:40 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Could it be that your Master Breaker for the coach's 120 volt system in the main circuit breaker panel is tripped?
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:38 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
So what was the outcome?????
Tiffin Dealer says the invertor went bad, causing all kinds of electrical problems. Still in shop in Minnesota waiting for parts. Been in Hotel since last Friday 07/10. This new RV life is not what we had hoped for.
DennisJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:22 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
What excuse is the dealer giving you about why this is taking so long? Tiffin Service and Tiffin Parts will not be the hold up in getting you a new inverter (they will over night one if needed).

If you hear anything back from the dealer like "Tiffin doesn't have the part, Tiffin can't ..., etc.", call Tiffin Service and ask for Don Boyd. Explain your issues and see what he has to say.

luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power