RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
noise from outside door latch

we have 2012 allegro open road. we kept hearing a rattling noise and discovered it was the outside door latch (the latch used to hold door open) banging against the side of motorhome while we were driving. so my husband used scotch tape to hold it in place while driving. has anyone had this problem and knows of a better fix than scotch taping. the tape has held for 400 miles down I-5 hwy but........... thank you

monalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I put a piece of the loop side of Velcro under the latch. Only time I hear it now is either very rough road or a big gust of wind.

luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That rattling drove me crazy as well. For whatever reason I'm hypersensitive to unusual noises. I'll spend an hour trying to find what's rattling and it drives DW crazy. I used a very slender piece of electrical tape on the underside of the latch where it hits the screw head. When I get a chance I'll "paint" the underside with liquid tape which won't come off.
DznyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Both great ideas. thank you!
Old 10-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cabinet door bumpers [just like your wood cabinets have] expoxied to underside of latch.
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I painted the underside of the latch with Liquid Tape to deaden the noise it makes when it bounces against the screw head underneath. During our trip to FL two weeks ago the wind was a bit rough and the latch rattled quite a bit. Not as loud as before but it was noticeable. After we made it to Fort Wilderness we were talking about what to do to secure the latch for travel when DW had an absolutely brilliant idea, a magnet. Not any old magnet will do as most can barely hold up a few pieces of paper. No, what we needed is the type touted as a "rare earth" magnet. Fortunately we had one of those super strong magnets on the fridge. It's about the size of a nickel and it fits nicely under the latch. We didn't hear a peep from the latch again and the winds coming home were much stronger than those we faced going south.

DznyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine rattled also my fix is to place a disc magnet about the diameter of a quarter and a 1/16 inch thick. between the arm and base the magnet holds it's self in place. This works real good Dave
wmdavehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I had the same problem although our catch is plastic. I took it off and put some Duct Tape on the part that rotates. This gives it some friction and the wind doesn't blow it around anymore. It did drive me crazy until I found out what it was. My first solution was to tape it down too. Now it's quiet.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:52 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Smile thanks to all

wow, i feel so much better...i thought i was the only one who could not stand the noise. i am grateful to all of you for sharing all the great ideas. thank you so much for taking the time to give me advice. i love irv2 site, what a great bunch of people.

Tags
door