Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2018, 03:43 PM   #1
KJR

Open Road 2000w Inverter Option Questions

Looking to order a 34PA and can’t get much info from the dealer on why I should chose the 2000w inverter option. The Magnum MS2000 is an inverter/charger

Under the standard inverter (1000w) what 110v receptcles are active inside the coach other than the fridge and TV receptacle?
Is the standard inverter an inverter charger? If not what is the make/model of the standard converter/charger

When you have the Magnum MS 2000 option then this device is used to charge the 4 batteries? Are the number of receptacles that can run on inverted power increased? Is the inside electronic panel used to set the charging parameter or is a Magnum monitor MC50 used. On the Open Road I saw there was a network cable plugged into the MS2000.

I’d like to be able to change the charging parameters because I’ll update to 4 lithium batteries eventually.

Thanks

KJR
KJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2018, 04:09 PM   #2

If your ordering, I would go with the 2,000. Our 2012 is old technology - elect/gas refrig, etc. We use the generator a lot, when we are traveling so we can use 110 outlets - regular phone chargers, computer for wife (hotspot). Charging house batteries would be high on my reasons to have the 2,000. Not sure if it would have enough power to run a/c. Dave
Old 12-31-2018, 07:25 PM   #3

go for the upgrade.

You get a pure sign wave which is easier on your electronics.

You will be able to run your microwave without starting your batteries. Also you will have more outlets powered by your inverter.

An automatic generator start is included, this is a big deal, it allows you to start your generator when your air conditioner turns on. This is very useful when boondocking to be able to run your AC, but only run your generator when the AC is running. It is also allows you to leave your pets in your motorhome and have the A/C turn on if it gets too hot for them. An automatic generator start is very labor intensive and expensive to add after the fact.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:58 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
If you are going to get the residential refrigerator the 2000 is required. The auto start is essential for us for keeping all batteries charged. We are currently at our second home and our 32SA is parked about 1/4 mile from us unplugged. AGS fires up once a day and keeps the batteries in good shape. I also dry camp a couple of times a year and don’t have to worrying about watching voltage because I know AGS will kick in when needed based on my settings. You can set the parameters to your preference.
mfox20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #5
KJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfox20 View Post
If you are going to get the residential refrigerator the 2000 is required. The auto start is essential for us for keeping all batteries charged. We are currently at our second home and our 32SA is parked about 1/4 mile from us unplugged. AGS fires up once a day and keeps the batteries in good shape. I also dry camp a couple of times a year and don’t have to worrying about watching voltage because I know AGS will kick in when needed based on my settings. You can set the parameters to your preference.
Do you have a Magnum RC remote panel in one of the over head cabinets in the cockpit. I saw a YouTube video of a Red 33 with the 2000w inverter/charger and the salesman showed the the monitor panel. With this you can charge charging parameters if you switch from flooded cells to AGM or lithium.

Can you list the locations of the inverted 110v recepticles in your coach. Probably the same locations as 34PA.

Thanks

KJR
Old 01-01-2019, 02:04 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Do you have a Magnum RC remote panel in one of the over head cabinets in the cockpit. I saw a YouTube video of a Red 33 with the 2000w inverter/charger and the salesman showed the the monitor panel. With this you can charge charging parameters if you switch from flooded cells to AGM or lithium. Can you list the locations of the inverted 110v recepticles in your coach. Probably the same locations as 34PA.

I do have the Magnum RC remote panel overhead above the drivers seat. The only outlet so far I know that doesn’t work on the inverter is the wet bay outlet. We will be back on the road tomorrow and I will check to see if others don’t work.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:57 PM   #7

Quote:
If the upgrade is required for a residential refrigerator that is a fairly new requirement.

Having to start your generator every day when not in use seems like allot. A few suggestions, first turn off your enertainment circuit at the breaker as well as anything else like the master 12v. Also consider installing at least one solar panel [unless your storage is covered).With your approach you may not ever be fully charging your batteries which will shorten their life.

As far as AGS to turn on based on voltage when dry camping, many prefer to run it in the morning and before quite time instead of using the AGS, so this is not that useful when dry camping, unless you are going to leave it for an extended period.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJR View Post
Do you have a Magnum RC remote panel in one of the over head cabinets in the cockpit. I saw a YouTube video of a Red 33 with the 2000w inverter/charger and the salesman showed the the monitor panel. With this you can charge charging parameters if you switch from flooded cells to AGM or lithium.

Can you list the locations of the inverted 110v recepticles in your coach. Probably the same locations as 34PA.

Thanks

KJR
You can definitely change the charging parameters with the upgraded inverter, not sure about the standard, but I would guess either can support lithium.

Both inverters wil also include a charger, but the upgraded one gives you more charging amps. This is always nice, but even more advantageous if you have lithium batteries since you can charge with max current all the way up to something like 95% charge.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:03 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dssl View Post
If the upgrade is required for a residential refrigerator that is a fairly new requirement.

Having to start your generator every day when not in use seems like allot. A few suggestions, first turn off your enertainment circuit at the breaker as well as anything else like the master 12v. Also consider installing at least one solar panel [unless your storage is covered).With your approach you may not ever be fully charging your batteries which will shorten their life.

As far as AGS to turn on based on voltage when dry camping, many prefer to run it in the morning and before quite time instead of using the AGS, so this is not that useful when dry camping, unless you are going to leave it for an extended period.
I agree in most cases I would manually run in the morning and evening for a full charge when dry camping knowing it will provide full charge. In my current situation AGS has served me well for about 6 days pending our return to the road today.

I appreciate the insight since I am always looking for improvements I can make. This is my 4th Class A over 20 years but the first with a residential refrigerator and all the new bells and whistles. Definitely uses a little more juice...
Old 01-02-2019, 04:30 PM   #10

Quote:
If you are going to get the residential refrigerator the 2000 is required.

My ‘16 32SA (and many others I expect) has the residential fridge and the standard 1250 inverter. It’s a TrippLite and provides 150% of that amount for an hour and 200% for 10 seconds to support start up loads. More than enough for the fridge and a tv or two.

Having said that my previous DP had the Magnum and I miss the remote monitoring & control panel so you could watch the status of everything. I think I could add it to the Tripp Lite by running another wire and mounting it in the coach someplace.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck&Pam View Post
My ‘16 32SA (and many others I expect) has the residential fridge and the standard 1250 inverter. It’s a TrippLite and provides 150% of that amount for an hour and 200% for 10 seconds to support start up loads. More than enough for the fridge and a tv or two.

Having said that my previous DP had the Magnum and I miss the remote monitoring & control panel so you could watch the status of everything. I think I could add it to the Tripp Lite by running another wire and mounting it in the coach someplace.
I have a 2015 32sa with the same inverter. I installed a victron battery monitor which allows me to monitor my battery charging and discharging.

I also installed an Onan EC30 AGS which was more work but is nice to have.

If I had bought new I would have gone for the inverter upgrade.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:37 AM   #12
KJR

Thanks for all the comments.

From info in this thread and further research the Magnum 2000w inverter/charger is used to charge the batteries and it is wired to provided inverted power to all the 110v receptacles. The Magnum RC control panel is located above the drivers seat. I don’t think Tiffin installs the Battery Monitor kit which allows the RC to display amps in and out but we intend to special order and will ask if BMK can be installed.

KJR?
Old 01-04-2019, 07:51 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJR View Post
Thanks for all the comments.

From info in this thread and further research the Magnum 2000w inverter/charger is used to charge the batteries and it is wired to provided inverted power to all the 110v receptacles. The Magnum RC control panel is located above the drivers seat. I don’t think Tiffin installs the Battery Monitor kit which allows the RC to display amps in and out but we intend to special order and will ask if BMK can be installed.

KJR?
With 4 Batteries, 4 TV’s, Surround Sound and the Residential Refrigerator the Magnum 2000w is the best choice. My 2018 order sheet stated it was a must option along with the 7kw generator for the above. And if you get the right deal ordering, you can get it all for about 28% off MSRP.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:14 PM   #14
KJR

Does anyone know if Tiffin installs the battery monitor kit BMK? It’s comprised of a shunt, a sense module and wire that plugs into the MS 2000 inverter charger. It allows you to monitor amps in and out on the RC50. Does Tiffin also install the temperature sensor at come with the MS2000. It connects to another port on the MS2000. This allows the MS2000 to charge correctlydependi g on temperature. Thanks.

KJR

Tags
inverter