RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2017, 12:45 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Open Road 36LA HDMI Splitter Location

I have a 2105 Allegro Open Road 36LA.
None of my TVs are recognizing the input coming from my satellite receiver. After multiple tests I believe I have a bad HDMI splitter. Before I start tearing stuff apart, can anyone tell me exactly where that splitter is located? The DVD splitter seems to be working fine.
I believe it could be in one of 2 (difficult to access) places within the electronics cabinet:
1.) A 5x5 build out in the corner of the electronics cabinet or 2.) another build out that runs the length across the top of that cabinet.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Also, what type of fan I could install to prevent this in the future...thanks!

Raidernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2017, 01:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidernut View Post
I have a 2105 Allegro Open Road 36LA.
None of my TVs are recognizing the input coming from my satellite receiver. After multiple tests I believe I have a bad HDMI splitter. Before I start tearing stuff apart, can anyone tell me exactly where that splitter is located? The DVD splitter seems to be working fine.
I believe it could be in one of 2 (difficult to access) places within the electronics cabinet:
1.) A 5x5 build out in the corner of the electronics cabinet or 2.) another build out that runs the length across the top of that cabinet.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Also, what type of fan I could install to prevent this in the future...thanks!
I am very interested in the responses you receive. I have the same coach as you and have satellite reception in the bedroom and midship, but not in the front. Could not locate the problem.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:14 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Thumbs up Problem solved

Shortly after posting my initial question I was finally able to get ahold of a tech at Red Bay. Both the Blu-Ray and satellite HDMI splitters are located in a wood box on the floor of the master closet. After opening the box I confirmed that the one splitter was indeed DOA. Now at least I know I just need to replace the splitter.

I hope this helps someone else out in the future...Thanks!!!
Raidernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #4

Most folks turn off the splitters (should be a "light switch" on the front of the box in the bottom of the closet, that powers the spliters and fan) when not watching TV with an HDMI feed (satellite or DVD) to keep from them getting over heated.......

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #5

Just so you know, many people suggest very strongly to install another, more powerful fan in that box, or at the very least reverse the existing fan to extend the life of those splitters.

Make sure they're powered off when not in use to extend their life as well.
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:16 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Now at least I know I just need to replace the splitter.
First try swapping out the power cords on the two splitters to make sure it's not just the power supply that has failed. Those are widely know to fail and are easy to replace.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:27 PM   #7

A side note, the fan should be pulling hot air out of the box..... There are several holes in the bottom of the box (in the counter top) to allow air in. You can see them if you pull the top drawer out of the cabinet below and look up.

My 2015 was set up with the fan pulling air out, but I think they may have originally been set up in years prior to try to push fresh air in that doesn't work very well.

And make sure clothes or anything else, is not blocking the fan vent.

Others have also added a vent in the side of the box - cabinet. If I ever find a simple vent cover, I plan to use a hole saw and drill into the side of the cabinet / box from just above the cabinet top under the window. And yes, I know I need to open the box top to ensure I don't drill into anything important inside the box .

But as noted, we do / will continue to keep the spliters (and fan) off when not watching DVD or Sat.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:20 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Both the Blu-Ray and satellite HDMI splitters are located in a wood box on the floor of the master closet.
I have a 2015 36 LA and there is no wood box in the master closet. Also, there is no sound of a fan anywhere in the closet or behind the bedroom TV.

My manufacture date is 8/13/14. Did they change to a different set up at some point?

I would also like to know where the splitter is located Any ideas?

Dave
Old 03-24-2017, 11:03 AM   #9

I Have a 2104 36 LA with no box in the closet also. I hear no fan. Wheres all my stuff?

Casewell, we didnt get a box on the closet floor or a fan, we better head to red bay and spend a month getting it looked at
Old 03-24-2017, 12:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Shortly after posting my initial question I was finally able to get ahold of a tech at Red Bay. Both the Blu-Ray and satellite HDMI splitters are located in a wood box on the floor of the master closet. After opening the box I confirmed that the one splitter was indeed DOA. Now at least I know I just need to replace the splitter.

I hope this helps someone else out in the future...Thanks!!!

Could you post a picture of the box and what is inside it? I can't locate the box in my closet.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:08 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by icepick View Post
I Have a 2104 36 LA with no box in the closet also. I hear no fan. Wheres all my stuff?

Casewell, we didnt get a box on the closet floor or a fan, we better head to red bay and spend a month getting it looked at
The 2014 does not have a electronic hdmi splitter. The splitter is a manual switch located on the wall behind the bedroom tv. We don't need no stinking electronic switch when we can flip a switch! And it don't break!
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:11 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Well............2014 36LA. No box in the closet No fan anywhere. Up behind bedroom tv, all the way on the back wall. Opened up and found two electronic ac powered hdmi splitters. One for dvd player, one for sat. One cable had become disconnected. It's not a rats nest........there is no room for a rat in there. We have front overhead tv. Could location and switches differ for other set ups?

jim
Old 03-25-2017, 04:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewfinder View Post
Well............2014 36LA. No box in the closet No fan anywhere. Up behind bedroom tv, all the way on the back wall. Opened up and found two electronic ac powered hdmi splitters. One for dvd player, one for sat. One cable had become disconnected. It's not a rats nest........there is no room for a rat in there. We have front overhead tv. Could location and switches differ for other set ups?

jim
Maybe part of the confusion has to do with how the HD signals are distributed.

Tiffin was running individual HDMI cables for the DVD player and Sat. to each TV from a "central distribution" splitter. The problem with that is that if an HDMI cable fails, it is usually the connector which can not really be fixed. And, running a new HDMI cable is a real pita..... On top of that cheap HDMI cables are still relatively expensive (particularly long ones) even if they are "cheap" and good HDMI cables are very expensive (long ones are outrageous).

At some point Tiffin then decided to take the HDMI feed from the DVD and Sat. and put that into a splitter that distributes the signal over Cat 5/6 data cables that connect to Cat 5/6 to HDMI converter at the back of each TV. A Cat 5/6 cable "failure" is rare, and it's relatively easy to put a new connector on a Cat 5/6 cable if that fails. I have note idea when Tiffin changed this, and it could have even been a mid model year update........

There is certainly a signifcant difference in an HDMI-HDMI splitter vs. a HDMI to Cat. 5/6 converter - splitter which may run a lot hotter hence the fans and different game locations of the splitters....... Just a thought.

My 2015 was built in Feb. 2015, using the Cat. 5/6 distribution to the TVs, and the box inthencloset with the fan. Not sure when Tiffin made the change, but I do know it is something that was discussed as an update / advantage in the buying process...

Regards
Old 03-25-2017, 08:50 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Betr2Travl. I have the two separate hdmi cables in my LA36 and just naturally thought they were all that way until Tiffin went to the electronic splitter. I guess that is why you must provide the VIN and Serial Number to identify how your particular model was constructed. I create a wifi hot spot with my cell phone then connect my Lap Top to the hot spot and watch streaming videos, tv, etc. and it eliminates paying for direct TV or Dish.

flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat