Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #15

IF the dealer is actually offering you within $5k of low retail for your trade in he is actually giving you a very good deal in todays market. NOthING is bring book value, he will have some expense cleaning it up, detailing it and interest til he sells it. In addition, he has some exposure to standing behind anything that goes wrong for a while after he sells it. All in all if you are within $5k of getting what you want AND getting rid of your used unit, in todays climate that is really a deal you should think a lot about in my opinion. just my opinion and experience.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #16

I have allways taken less for the trade-in and a bigger discount. This is because I live in a sales tax state and the license fee is based on the purchase price. You end up paying the higher license fee every year.
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #17

I have a 2012 Phaeton on order with D and N in memphis. Getting 26% discount. Trading in a 2008 monaco. So far they seem good. Have a friend who bought a Bus from them in dec and it went very well.

Good luck.
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdomino View Post
I have a 2012 Phaeton on order with D and N in memphis. Getting 26% discount. Trading in a 2008 monaco. So far they seem good. Have a friend who bought a Bus from them in dec and it went very well.

Good luck.
How are they treating you on the trade in? Where is the trade in value relative to the retail average? Low retail? ....Below low retail?

I'm trying to justify spending upwards of 300K to go camping.
BigRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #19

Offering me low wholesale. $112,000 for a 2008 Monaco Knight that is fully loaded. After all of this negotiation and getting a loan I have decided to not buy it. I am so concerned about the economy. I lost a big hunk in the recent town turn, so I will hold off for a while.
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #20

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdomino View Post
Offering me low wholesale. $112,000 for a 2008 Monaco Knight that is fully loaded. After all of this negotiation and getting a loan I have decided to not buy it. I am so concerned about the economy. I lost a big hunk in the recent town turn, so I will hold off for a while.
That trade in value sounds terrible. I am sure they would be asking close if not over $200K. How many miles do you have on it?
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRiver View Post
How are they treating you on the trade in? Where is the trade in value relative to the retail average? Low retail? ....Below low retail?

I'm trying to justify spending upwards of 300K to go camping.
And to think that some 25 years ago, my idea of camping consisted of a backpack, a 2 person tent and a mummy sleeping bag!

I'm thinking of holding off as well. If for not any other reason, I'll continue to try and sell my Doubletree 5'er and maybe save up some cash to put down on a DP. If I can at least sell the 5'er, my options increase as I can then purchase from an individual also.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #22
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
A year or so ago, Lee Litchfield had a great explaination about what goes on in negotiating. HERE's a link to his blog about it.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Great link Lori, thanks! That is an exceptional blog with lots of good information.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #24

I realize that the dealer is actually working the numbers to give me approximately 25% off MSRP while allowing about 5K under NADA low retail value. On paper it comes to 21% off MSRP while giving me NADA high retail.

Yes, it's a numbers game and I understand that they have to make a profit. What I see is a easy out for passing on my Doubletree and buying a new DP. I also can see that if I could sell the 5'er on my own, I would then have the option of purchasing a late model DP from an individual.

The ball is in my court now. Just trying to justify the leap of debt for this. I've paid my home off last May, did it in 12 years rather than the drawn out 30, and I hate the idea of being back in the debt saddle.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannonvaggon View Post
I think folks pretty much will say that on a new Bus or Phaeton one should be looking at somewhere around 26 percent off MSRP, somewhat dependent on options but not much. The top dealers are usually at around that pricing point.

If you are a serious buyer, getting bids from several dealers is an excellent way to look for a coach.
This is what I just got ... 26% and a couple of throw ins here and there. I couldn't be happier right now ...
theCOMVEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Hello Big River,
Everyone on this string has some great ideas. I found my best price by just contacting as many dealers as possible. I gave the information on my trade and what I was looking for (Phaeton with most options). Took delivery in Sept 07 for $150,000 from Campers Barn in Kingston, NY. Sorry to say that they are not a Tiffin dealer now. I here that Lazy Days has the best prices now-a-days. I also believe they are the one, if not the largest, Tiffin dealer. I plan to go there myself this winter to look around for a Bus. I used to work for an RV dealer and I know for a fact that the best time to purchase an RV for our customers was at the end of the month when the banks floor planning money was due. I hope, along with all the other suggestions that you get the pricing that suits you. Good luck.
Dave
RISwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:06 AM   #27

26.7% discount from Sherman RV with no arm wrestling. You will be hard pressed to do better.
hitman007 is offline   Reply With Quote