RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #1

Opinion on dealer discount

New guy here with a question.

I've been looking for a 2 to 3 year old 40' Allegro Bus with certain options. Needless to say, there are far and few on the market. I've almost talked myself into buying a 2011 that dealers are trying to move off their lot. The best discount I can get from 2 dealers is about 20.2% and 21% off of MSRP.

I've read in older threads here of folks getting 25% off of MSRP. Has anyone recently gotten discounts like that?

Just wondering if I should hold out for more of a discount.

I'm also considering just bypassing the 2011 and ordering a 2012 model.

Thanks for the opinions!

Walt

BigRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
I have often wondered, what if you ordered right from the Mfg and had them send it to a dealer near you? Would save the dealer the cost of flooring and might save you in the pocket book. Just a thought.

OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post
I have often wondered, what if you ordered right from the Mfg and had them send it to a dealer near you? Would save the dealer the cost of flooring and might save you in the pocket book. Just a thought.
It's my guess that one must order through a dealer. Nice idea, but don't think that it'd fly.

I know that it's in the dealers best interest to charge you as much as possible for a new coach, but it's in my best interest to buy it for as little as possible.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:34 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post
It doesn't work that way with Tiffin. You have to go through a dealer to place an order. Many potential buyers work up a spec sheet on what they want and submit it to several dealers for bids.

BigRiver don't get in a hurry. If the price doesn't suit you - walk away. Look in places other than on a dealers lot. There are a lot coaches for sale by private owners. Look in our classifieds here at over at TiffinRVNetwork for starters.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
It doesn't work that way with Tiffin. You have to go through a dealer to place an order. Many potential buyers work up a spec sheet on what they want and submit it to several dealers for bids.

BigRiver don't get in a hurry. If the price doesn't suit you - walk away. Look in places other than on a dealers lot. There are a lot coaches for sale by private owners. Look in our classifieds here at over at TiffinRVNetwork for starters.
Good idea on spreading the bidding quote around. My own issue is that I have an 06' Doubletree 5'er that I'm trying to sell. If it doesn't sell, we'll end up having to trade it in with a dealer.

Thanks
Old 08-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I think folks pretty much will say that on a new Bus or Phaeton one should be looking at somewhere around 26 percent off MSRP, somewhat dependent on options but not much. The top dealers are usually at around that pricing point.

If you are a serious buyer, getting bids from several dealers is an excellent way to look for a coach.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:51 AM   #7

Contact Karen at Sherman's in Miss.
rancherwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:41 AM   #8

I've talked to D & N Motorhomes of Memphis and also Bankston of Huntsville. They have both quoted figures resulting in only 20% to 21% off of MSRP.

What is throwing the equation off is my trade in. The old reliable salesman trick of offering a good trade in value but then short change you on the discount.

They both are offering about 46K for my Doubletree, which is in the "Low Retail" area, but after putting a pencil to it, if you figure the 25% discount, they are really only giving me about 36K for the 5'er.

I understand the tax savings on trade in arrangements, but I'll keep hammering them to meet in the middle somewhere.

I'll contact Sherman's and Kite Bros. also.... Thanks
Old 08-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #9

buying a new rig

give lazy days rv in florida (800 626 7800) a call find out what the msrp is and start dealing at 30% off. naturally they will refuse any offer at that discount but lets face it the economy sucks and there aren't hoards of people buying motorhomes. i got my 42ft phaeton new from lazy days in 07 at about 25% off (200,000.00 net and it has just about every option). my sales persons name is steve scialli he's a good kid and not pushy. see what he can do for you. tell him steve espinola recommended him
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRiver View Post
New guy here with a question.

I've been looking for a 2 to 3 year old 40' Allegro Bus with certain options. Needless to say, there are far and few on the market. I've almost talked myself into buying a 2011 that dealers are trying to move off their lot. The best discount I can get from 2 dealers is about 20.2% and 21% off of MSRP.

I've read in older threads here of folks getting 25% off of MSRP. Has anyone recently gotten discounts like that?

Just wondering if I should hold out for more of a discount.

I'm also considering just bypassing the 2011 and ordering a 2012 model.

Thanks for the opinions!

Walt
espy1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:57 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Just my opinion...But if you trade the trade difference is all that matters. When we bought ours I probably paid too much for the DP, but they gave me way more for my trade then I thought I'd get. Peace...D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:14 AM   #11

You might try deciding on a price for the Tiffin you like. If the dealer refuses your offer, return toward the end of the month with a fist full of one hundred dollar bills. The week before Christmas would be better yet, if you can wait. You have nothing to lose by trying.

Good luck with your search and new coach!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Reminds me of one of my old bosses when he went to buy a car he would walk into the dealer with the exact amount he wanted to pay if the dealer refused he would walk across the street to a bar buy a drink or two go back with what was left and continue the process until the dealer cracked got a nice car and a good buzz that way
Old 08-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Walt,

Just bought my Allegro a little over 4 weeks ago. Not a bus so maybe different.

We too thought used would be more prudent however we really liked only one floor plan from Tiffin. We've been browsing for 4 years and serious for about 1 year and we just couldn't find a decent used unit in that one floor plan. Calling around, 5 weeks ago, just for the fun of it, we found a dealer willing to sell us new unit with almost all the options I wanted at 26% off MSRP. A week later we drove 7 hours (one way) to complete the deal.
Everything went really well and we had no problems at all.
Without going into more detail I guess the moral of the story (for us anyway) is to be willing to walk away (again and again) and keep shopping until everything feels right.
We definitely called the right place at the right time.

Good luck!
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Walking away for a bit to see what they do is a good suggestion I believe. I think they will call.

I personnaly have never liked to use a trade in---too much gets lost in translation fro me (I'm a little thick)-----if you have the option of selling yours and just going in and deal without the trade then the 25% is easier---basically it is the throw away offer for dealers I believe. On a good day you can get more. I have to believe this is a buyers market par excellance!

Good luck----fun ain't it.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote