RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #1

OTA Antenna Tiffin RED

Had something odd happen. I was using the OTA antenna while at Freightliner in Gaffney, SC. I did a scan with power booster on. I got zero channels. I went outside and opened the bay where the cable input is and unhooked my cable. I usually leave it hooked up on one end. I got 61 channels. Then I got service done and returned back to the site. I go zero channels with the booster. I am showing a green light on the booster and I have checked connections behind Tv and booster. Is there another cable connector that could be causing a short? I went from 61 channels to zero?

Any thoughts? I plan to get on top and check that, but I thought it was odd that unhooking the cable wire in the bay allowed me to get the antenna initially working. Is there anywhere else I could have a loose connection?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2016, 03:48 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You don't say how old your Red is, could be your booster has gone, if you remove it from the cabinet you'll find that it also serves as a splitter, both cable and oatv go through it, that's why the booster has to be off to get cable.

garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:33 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The OTA antenna switch and power supply has, it appears, failed.. The Splitter segment has gone bad would be my guess

But.. There is another option.

Now, 2x a year I mop my roof, the last time I did this, no problem, but when I did it last SPRING.. Suddenly no OTA tv (my RV is wired so that I can get both OTA and park Cable at the same time, the DVR has multiple inputs and it picks as I program) (you don't want to try and install a set up like mine but hey.. I like it)

Well, following the tribble I started up on the roof, no 12 volt to antenna (Dang)
Good 12 volt out of the switch (In my case a Sensar Pro)...
No 12 volt at Roof
Dug into roof (under the clamshell cover) and there ... as expected.. Was a double female connector joining two lengths of coax...

Only it was not. The cable was not well sealed, moisture had gotten in and tarnished things up.. Ate away some, the mop hadn pulled the connection apart.

Now.. At some poing if a connection is just.. Shutting the door (Entry door) can jar it enough to make/break, as can moving

Oh, a couple new compression type ends from Stock, a new barrel (Double female) and ... I'm watching OTA as I type. Strong signal.

Most factory coax connections are simple Crimp On and a good hard sneeze is all that's needed to take it apart.... That's why I use compression fittings.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:32 AM   #4

I wonder if I can test it with a voltage meter to figure it out? Even off, I get no channels. That is odd when I got 61 the day before without moving. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:59 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
You didn't state the year of your rig, but if you have the HD360 Mini State antenna it may be failing. There have been a lot of posts about replacement of those with the Rayzar automatic or the RoadStar omni directional antenna.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #6

Sorry. It's a 2010. I have not been that happy with the antenna when it worked. I may replace it regardless.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:57 AM   #7

When you say you dug under the clamshell, do you mean you the lap sealant on the roof? I am getting ready to pull this sucker off and figured, before I bought something new I would try would you did. I have a RED 2010 and wonder where they spilt the the tv. Like most Tiffin connections they do not appear to be near an easy access panel.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:12 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my case when I dug under the sealant there was a plate with with screws, and the junction was under that.

There is no better RV antenna than the Batwing with Wingman
But there is a better switch inside. I installed the Sensar Pro.

I am 45.2 miles from the digital station I am watching as I type (Per Antenna Helper Signal is normally 80-90 percent (With occasional drop outs depending on weather and time of day)
Without the Sensar Pro.. I'm looking at about threshold, that is to say the "occasional dropouts" is replaced by "occasional usable signal". So I'm very happy with the Sensar pro. there are other stations I can see even farther off which I can watch.. No signal at all without the Sensar Pro (with the standard wall plate).

Tags
antenna, tiffin