Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2018, 01:50 PM   #1

Oven

We are ordering a 37PA. I was wondering if anyone has an oven and if is worth ordering.
Thanks
annaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2018, 02:06 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

I think it has a lot to do with what you like to cook. Some folks adapt to a convection/microwave, others like to use the oven to bake 'the old-fashioned way.' The space the oven takes in the cabinet can be more storage, but I've also seen a drawer dishwasher installed in that space. It's all in what you want to do in the kitchen.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not a Tiffin, but when we were looking/buying one of my "must-haves" was an oven. About a year later I learned how to use the micro/convection and we replaced the oven with a dishwasher. Best decision ever!
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:49 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
We had an oven in our first motor home along with a convection. After my wife learned to use the convection, she never used the oven again. Our last two motor homes have not had gas ovens, just convections.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
We had an oven in our first motor home along with a convection. After my wife learned to use the convection, she never used the oven again. Our last two motor homes have not had gas ovens, just convections.
Never used our oven. Convection micro does it all.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:36 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
RV ovens are maybe among the worst appliances ever made. They are hard to light, heat very unevenly, take up too much space, and really warm up the coach. You are far better off with a cook top, the storage underneath, and a convection microwave. Those old ovens actually hurt your resale value as well.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:49 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
RV ovens are maybe among the worst appliances ever made. They are hard to light, heat very unevenly, take up too much space, and really warm up the coach. You are far better off with a cook top, the storage underneath, and a convection microwave. Those old ovens actually hurt your resale value as well.
I've played around with the NADA website pricing RVs. I've never seen a choice of oven or not or seen any evidence of "Those old ovens actually hurt your resale value as well." What is your source of this information?

Bob & Donna
Old 06-18-2018, 07:37 PM   #8

I baked a chocolate birthday cake last week in our gas oven. It turned out perfectly. I have had an oven in every RV I have owned. Did 8 years of full time RV living a number of years ago. Used the oven constantly. Baked everything from cookies to lasagna.
All of the negative responses that they are hard to light, don't heat evenly, is a bunch of hooey. I have never done anything but line the shelf with aluminum foil....with exceptional results. Lighting the oven is super easy once you learn how to do it correctly....and use an oven thermometer. I would not be without my oven.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:48 AM   #9

We’re in our third coach. First two had gas ovens. Used the one in the first coach a couple of times with not so great results. Tried all the suggestions to get even heat, etc. Never used the oven in the second coach. Had the convection/microwave. Our current coach has the convection/microwave and we have had no problems with it. Sure, there’s a learning curve, but the results are worth the effort. This coach came with a dishwasher where the oven would have been. We sure get a lot more use out of the dishwasher than we did the oven. We do use the dishwasher for some storage while we’re moving.
BillL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:03 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
We just took possession of our new 37PA which we spec’d too. I am another person who really liked my previous propane ovens, and I used them successfully a lot. However I ordered this coach with only the microwave/convection strictly due to the two drawers I got for storage instead of the oven. So far I have only baked a couple of things, but it is working ok. I do have charcoal Dutch Ovens if I need extra baking space, and I also have a very nice backup toaster oven I keep at the S&B for extra baking space if I decide to bring it. Those two extra drawers are awfully nice ...
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:37 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I've played around with the NADA website pricing RVs. I've never seen a choice of oven or not or seen any evidence of "Those old ovens actually hurt your resale value as well." What is your source of this information?
30+ years of Marketing
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
30+ years of Marketing
So was 'New Coke,' the Edsel, clear Pepsi, and many more marketing brainstorms. The responses to this question about ovens show many different points of view, but no one said an oven makes the RV worth less at sale time.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #13

All our previous RV's had the oven, which worked great. Every year we would camp out in the desert at Thanksgiving and were able to cook a small turkey in it. Our current MH does not have an oven, but does have the convection/microwave oven. We like the extra drawer space you get without the gas oven. My wife has cooked a few things in the convection oven and it seems to do well. We really don't cook in the MH, other than using the microwave as we use our BBQ a lot when camping. If you wanted to cook a turkey, pizza ect they sell portable ovens that hook up to propane, and they work pretty good.

I don't think having one or not would affect the resale value. Adding an oven is pretty easy if you wanted one, and not all that expensive. When we bought ours, our dealer told us to try it without the oven and if we found we really had to have one he could install a regular oven for $500. Since using it for 4 years now I see no need for the oven, but plenty of reason for the extra drawers.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:54 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
We have an oven and it works great. My wife loves it alot. The only issue I have is I'm the one on the floor lighting the pilot, but that the roll of the husband.
tjvogtiii is offline   Reply With Quote