RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2015, 03:52 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Panasonic Home Theater System

My 2011 34-TGA has a Panasonic SA PT 480 home theater system pre-wired in the coach. Unfortunately a power surge killed the main unit and I am now having trouble finding a replacement. Tiffin has dropped Panasonic in favor of a LG system, and I'm told Best Buy no longer carries Panasonic. All the in-coach pre-wired speakers have Panasonic proprietary plugs to the back of the control unit, requiring a cut-and-splice to wire in the speakers to a non-Panasonic unit. I'm not thrilled with idea of buying a whole home entertainment system just to trash the speakers and plug in the control unit. One more thing, the TV uses component cables, not HDMI.
Ideas?

Fancy Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2015, 02:50 PM   #2

did you try contacting Crutchfield for mating connectors? They have most of them.

I know you probably don't want to do this.. but I'd swap out the whole system. Panasonic isn't that great, and you're loosing a LOT through those component cables. Patching in speaker wiring would be a small price to pay for a much better system.

Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:33 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Panasonic System

Now we're talking. I had forgotten about Crutchfield and similar companies.

I'm all about swapping out the entire system, and I know there are HDMI connections on the TV's which I'd like to use. What I'd like to avoid is re-wiring the entire system. And, I'd like to find speakers that will fit in existing enclosures. Was hoping someone had done this "swap" of the original Panasonic before and could provide guidance.

MANY THANKS for your reply!!
Fancy Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:04 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy Free View Post
Now we're talking. I had forgotten about Crutchfield and similar companies.

I'm all about swapping out the entire system, and I know there are HDMI connections on the TV's which I'd like to use. What I'd like to avoid is re-wiring the entire system. And, I'd like to find speakers that will fit in existing enclosures. Was hoping someone had done this "swap" of the original Panasonic before and could provide guidance.

MANY THANKS for your reply!!
I replaced my old Panasonic unit simply because it had crappy apps. The new Samsung Home theater system is so much more advanced than the Panasonic and sounds a lot better too. I absolutely love it. I kept the 3 front Panasonic speakers that were installed .I changed out the connectors at the Head unit of the Samsung with some quality crimp wire connectors from Home Depot. I swapped the subwoofer to the better Samsung Subwoofer under the kitchen cabinet. The rear speakers on the Samsung are wireless so they sit behind my sofa and connect wirelessly to the head unit. You need a power supply but i happened to have one behind the sofa. I abandoned the old Panasonic "rear" speakers as they were located over the drivers area which was dumb. They were 'side' speakers not rear speakers

you should be able to just swap head units. All the connections were exactly the same as the Panasonic except for the speaker input

The whole changeout took me about 45 minutes. The Samsung is so much smarter than the Panasonic and more troublefree too

this is the unit i purchased
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HT-H65...T-H6500WM%2FZA

Tags
heat, heater