Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2016, 04:20 PM   #1

Phaeton 40AH vs Allegro Bus 40AP

I just joined ivr2. I am looking to purchase either the phaeton or the allegro bus. I think I know most of the differences between the two. I do have a couple of questions. The first is how do people like the all electric coach? How does it work if you're on 30amp? Are the extras worth the price? Trying to purchase the right coach. We will be full timers! Please give me your thoughts!!!!

michmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2016, 08:06 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
All electric on 30 amps?? - I guess you will be running your generator a lot. On 30 amps, you won't be using your cooktop or your electric floor heat, but you can run one A/C unit or your microwave. Your AquaHot will run (on diesel only). Your refrigerator and TV sets should be fine.

If you haven't joined the Tiffin RV Network yet, put that on your list of things to do.

luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:39 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Actually we just had a 4 day experience with only 30 amp with our all electric Allegro Bus 40AP. You can indeed use the True Induction cooktop, but not the optional Wolf Cooktop. We turned on the electric element of the Aqua Hot once, but it was so close to 30 amps we turned it off and only used the diesel function thereafter. We did use the microwave without any problem. You just have to monitor the EMS panel for your amp draw and shut off something if you get near or exceed 30 amps.
As far as the other questions, we really like the all electric since we mostly stay in 50 amp FHU rv parks. The "extras" as you call them are just worth what you think about them. We opted for the heated tile floor, the basement slide out trays (2), the roof ladder, the Dish Trav'ler pre-wire, and the sleep number bed. We haven't regretted any of them.
Tim,,,

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:02 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As for all electric. Need to consider your anticipated usage. Full 50a hookup campgrounds, dry camping, combo?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:53 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree. Your expected usage should dictate which coach you purchase. Personally, I prefer not to have to run the generator for "Everything" if not hooked up to 50 amps.

2016 Tiffin Red
Sjg1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:22 PM   #6

After having an all electric there is no possible way I would go back to propane. We do carry a 110 volt single burner induction cook top for those times where we are on 30 amp. We full time and having a small absorption fridge with a tiny freezer again would be totally unacceptable. The AquaHot on just electric provides for all our hot water needs. Because we have heated floor we rarely use the diesel burner on the AquaHot.
We have only boondocked for five days but felt we could easily go much longer. The limiting factor being grey tank capacity.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:27 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmac View Post
I just joined ivr2.
Are the extras worth the price? Trying to purchase the right coach. We will be full timers! Please give me your thoughts!!!!
Welcome to iRV2 . Since you asked if the extras were worth the price... the Valid Air on the Bus is GREAT. I don't think it's an option on the Phaeton, but I might be wrong.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:26 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You can go all electric on either so the biggest difference is the Freightliner chassis vs. Powerglide chassis on the Bus. I'm told the IFS- Independent Front Suspension on the Powerglide makes for a better driving experience. So if you are going to be driving many miles that should be a consideration.
Butte64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmac View Post
I just joined ivr2. I am looking to purchase either the phaeton or the allegro bus. I think I know most of the differences between the two. I do have a couple of questions. The first is how do people like the all electric coach? How does it work if you're on 30amp? Are the extras worth the price? Trying to purchase the right coach. We will be full timers! Please give me your thoughts!!!!
You will learn how to use your rig if you boon dock. I would not worry about it. Except for State parks most parks are 50 amp. I can run both my heat pumps on 30 amps and the power shedding will keep up with the microwave by shutting other stuff down.

I find that my propane system for heat is very inconvenient and a limiting factor. So I would rather have all electric. I almost bought a Bus a few month ago but backed out.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:59 PM   #10

Here's another interesting difference:

Basement Storage (Cubic Feet):
40 AP - 177
40 AH – 157

ekim is offline   Reply With Quote