Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #1

Phaeton 42 foot tag axle owners

I am considering replacing my 2008 Monaco Knight. It is a 38 footer (39 1/2) with a 2011 Phaeton with the bath and a half. We are full timers and have been for 3 years. We are looking for something bigger and really like the Phaeton. visited the factory a month ago to see them being built. The Monaco Diplomat 43 footer looks nice as well, but not sure I should order another Monaco.

What do you think of your rig? Like the ride? What chassis are you using? Do you think the 360 Cummins has enough power? Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

Steve__
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2010, 07:32 AM   #2

Anyone out there with a Phaeton that can reply????
Old 06-08-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
paz

Can't comment on the Phaeton because I don't have one, but I can tell you Tiffin is a top-notch company. They will bend over backwards to satisfy their customers.

If we can ever afford another coach, it will most likely be a Phaeton.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #4

Tiffen makes a good coach and the Phaeton is a very popular model. I have a 2008 Winnebago Tour 40TD nontag coach with Cummins ISL 400 engine. When I bought this coach I considered the Phaeton but decided against it because of the engine. My coach has a two stage jake brake where the Phaeton has an exhaust brake which is a big difference. I have plenty of power with my 400 horsepower and 1200 lbs of torque. In 2010 Winnebago came out with a 42 ft tag axel and is using the same ISL 400 engine I have in my coach. In my opinion they should have gone with a much larger engine considering the weight capacity the coach has. I would consider a 360 hp 42ft Phaeton tag axel coach to be very under powered. Test drive one and see what you think but remember that on the test drive the coach will be empty and not towing anything so it will be at its very peppiest. Good luck.
gmanatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:58 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply. I did call Tiffin the other day to discuss the 2011. I was told that the 360 HP engine is going to 380. Still not a 400. The rep thought the torque on the 380 would remain the same. I have always been told torque is king with a motorhome engine.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #6

i have a 2008 42qrh phaeton, and am very pleased with everything.initially was a little concerned about the 360 hp engine; have had no problems at all.very good support/service from tiffin,can not go wrong with a tiffin.
glck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:07 PM   #7

We bought a new 2009 Phaeton 42 QBH a few weeks ago, traded in our 39 ft fiver. I had rigged the GMC 2500HD to be towed, took it home with no problems and it is no light piece of hardware at 6200 lb. We live on a mountain in Tennessee and have a mile of 8% to 10% paved road with pretty good curves near the house. It pulled the truck with no problems, dropping to 2nd gear and about 15 mph on the steepest part. But I wouldn't take those turns any faster anyway. On the interstate on a 6% grade it towed the GMC with the cruise fixed at 65, silently dropping to 5th for a while, then back to 6th gear. About a 1 mph speed drop. The only time I would like more power is on passing. It is rather slow acceleration from 55 to 65 passing on a 2-lane even without the truck in tow. For a rig this size, I would prefer 400 hp. But for most highway driving, it is okay.

That said, everything else is premier. Tiffin is outstanding in attention to detail. Every inch of wood surface is baby-smooth and elegantly finished. The QBH with the bath and a half is the most beautiful design I've ever seen. The living room expands to huge dimensions--roughly 12-1/2 ft x 20 ft and 7 ft of headroom. It just plain feels big. The half bath and washer/dryer stack form a short hallway and then the bedroom with plenty of walkway for two people to pass around the foot of the bed. Then you continue back to the full rear bathroom; a 7 inch step up and it is still a shock to be in such a large bath area. The shower is generous and comfortable, easy to towel off inside. A full closet across the rear and lots of mirrors. With all lights on over the sinks and ceiling, the bathroom is almost blinding. Storage is everywhere. The residential refrigerator, freezer, ice maker is just the ticket. I wouldn't have another gas/electric unit: The last two couldn't hold 45 degrees in the summer. This unit is always right on the number.

My wife and I would never consider full-timing; we like living in the country and on the mountain. However, some long-timing is in our plans. However, if we did full-time, it would be this unit or the Allegro Bus equivalent. The Bus, with 425 hp, IFS and all-electric is as good as it's going to get. But we both agree that in a pinch, we could easily live in this Phaeton for a long, long time. And with Bob Tiffin and family standing behind the quality and service, it doesn't get any better.
--Rick
Higherground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #8

hi i have an 07 42ftr we have had a few issues mostly cosmetic like wrikled wll paper where ever they fastened to the walls check that out on any that you look at ours is on the spartan chasis w/350hp it has michelin tires and drives like a caddy fuel economy towing a 22 ft trailer w/2006 4wd explorer inside is 6.5 at best i took it out west via rte 10 west and headed back to new england the northern route it went through the mountains w/no problems although it could use a 400 hp the 360 should be sufficient another heads up i cut a pretty good deal at lazy days no trade around 25 % off list that was three years ago now i'd shoot for 30 off especially if i were to order one. the bath and a half has a mascerating toilet take it from a plumber use the half bath for solid waste because if that toilet malfunctions you'll have a hell of a mess on your hands any way good luck and look it over real good because you are the quality control
espy1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:07 AM   #9

Phaeton QBH shakedown cruise

Just took the Phaeton QBH 42 ft on a 4400 mile jaunt from TN to WI, MN, ND, MT, WY, CO, OK, AR and home. Had two air-system-related problems near Cody, WY, but Freightliner customer service walked us through a temporary solution to get to Cheyenne where their service operation runs two shifts and fixed everything--a leaking pressure relief valve and the valve that controls the airbags on the drive axle. The latter weren't inflating, but was able to drive it in with the tag axle carrying more than its share. In the run to Cheyenne, tested the ABS system avoiding a horrific head-on wreck 150 yds in front of us--two cars collided on a two-lane highway (one passenger killed). Was able to bring the Phaeton to a straight stop and avoid the wreck. We were towing a GMC 2500HD pickup (really big truck) with an SMI Stay-in-play duo brake system installed. Truck stayed in line and under control (that is one darn good brake system). Excellent coach! ABS works great. Could not be more pleased! I will take Freightliner's training course end of this month. I am really pleased with their service. We do have a few minor issues to get ironed out in Red Bay, but shouldn't be a big deal: tripping breaker on the front A/C, small leak at top of windshield in driving rain, couple of others. Very pleased. --Rick
Higherground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #10

2011 Tiffin Phaeton 42

'We recently purchased a new 2011 Tiffin Phaeton, 42' with tag axle, 4 slides. I will say that the 2011 has the 380 hp Cummins. The 360 hp was on the prior years Phaeton. We are full timers now and have found the Phaeton to be an awesome investment and very comfortable even with 2 dogs.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the Phaeton.

Tommy
foretom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by foretom2 View Post
'We recently purchased a new 2011 Tiffin Phaeton, 42' with tag axle, 4 slides. I will say that the 2011 has the 380 hp Cummins. The 360 hp was on the prior years Phaeton. We are full timers now and have found the Phaeton to be an awesome investment and very comfortable even with 2 dogs.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about the Phaeton.

Tommy
We too have the '11 42 QBH. Love the coach, great on the road. Really appreciate the 13,600 GAWR! Thanks Bob and company!!

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #12

we have a Zephyr and love it. Tiffin makes a great unit and they a real nice people.
squeak is offline   Reply With Quote