Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2018, 02:25 PM   #1

Phaeton all electric

Thinking of purchasing Phaeton 37bh . Just wondering what the thoughts on the all electric system. If you have had it would you do it again? Looking for pros and cons of the system
ESTANG48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2018, 03:51 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have an all electric bus and so far we like it. The only drawback so far is the optional Wolf cooktop, it has to have 50 amps so we must be hooked to 50amp service or run the genset but we seldom go off the grid.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:43 PM   #3

Can't think of a con. The Aquahot provides unlimited uniform temperature hot water. In cold temps it warms the coach nicely. No problem with the induction cooktop and you pick up some basement room when you lose the propane tank.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 05:23 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Phaeton all electric

All electric Phaeton 40QBH here. Love it. When plugged in and cold outside, heated floors are unbeatable. We’ve actually pulled more than alloyed pole power; inverter kicks in to make up difference by pulling from batteries or controller sheds some amps at unnecessary locations. We have run the AquaHot heat while cold traveling. Running genny while rolling is also not an issue. No cons here so far. If I do any upgrades, it’ll be some solar and better batteries to go along with the solar. We didn’t order the unit this way. Got it off the dealership lot and really didn’t know what *all electric* really meant. If we ever trade, all electric will be the next one too. My opinion, you’re looking in the right direction.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:33 PM   #5
Director of Partnerships

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Love it, love it, love it. No cons, IMHO. No propane to worry about. Keep those house batteries clean and filled and you are good to go.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:39 AM   #6

I currently have a 37BH on order and opted not to get the all electric version. Storage space on this model is very limited and I am not willing to give up one of the two pass thru bays for the Aqua Hot system. If I was getting a coach with three bays, it would probably have the Aqua Hot.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:00 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Once you have had an all electric coach you would never go back. I don't have to worry about getting into tight places to get a propane fill. Don't have to worry about propane leaks. As long as I have a full tank of diesel the Aqua Hot will keep us very comfortable. Although I like to cook with propane, I have gotten over that. I like the convenience and safety of electric.
lakefront5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:46 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Our 2017 Allegro Bus 40 SP is all electric. We have the standard induction cooktop .The aqua hot provides quiet heat and warmth to the wet bay .It is sure nice not having to worry about buying propane .
RodneyLadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
I currently have a 37BH on order and opted not to get the all electric version. Storage space on this model is very limited and I am not willing to give up one of the two pass thru bays for the Aqua Hot system. If I was getting a coach with three bays, it would probably have the Aqua Hot.
Doesn't the propane tank take up nearly the same space?

I have all electric and love it. In addition to all the reason mentioned by others there's no need to stop for inspection when entering certain tunnels nor to avoid routes that prohibit propane.
ageishecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageishecker View Post
Doesn't the propane tank take up nearly the same space?

I have all electric and love it. In addition to all the reason mentioned by others there's no need to stop for inspection when entering certain tunnels nor to avoid routes that prohibit propane.
The cubic footage might be similar, but the bay where the propane tank would be is only 5 feet long and not very wide and the boiler takes up more than half of the bay it's in. As far as obtaining propane is concerned, it's not an issue for me. The place that I spend most of my winter time has a truck that comes around once or twice a week if it's really cold (Gulf Shores AL).

I suppose it's really a matter of personal preference, but I also considered how much propane I could buy for the additional $9K as well.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:22 PM   #11

Thanks everyone. A few things mentioned I had not thought of . Moving forward it appears to have more pros than cons other than the initial cost. Appreciate all your comments.
ESTANG48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:21 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
And the refrigerator will run while traveling without running the gen. I just bought a new Phaeton and really don’t have a opinion yet, but in my last Tiffin I had to run the gen to run the fridge by order of my traveling companion.(wife) plus I hated to buy propane. I was surprised at how quickly I would run out of propane when traveling in colder weather
Dta1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, phaeton