RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #1

My wife, Michelle,and I would very much welcome some advice from you wise Tiffin folks out there

Sometime during this next year, we intend to purchase new a 42/43' rear bath floorplan diesel pusher - which we will to drive East Coast to West Coast, do some touring along the way. and then live full time in the motorhome while we acquire some land and oversee the building of a new home there (probably in the Russian River Valley area, Sonoma County, Northern California). This could be a two year process.

A rear bath 42' Tiffin Phaeton is on the shortlist of motorhomes that seem to fit our needs. Also on our radar screen (in alphabetical order not preference ranking) are the 42/43' rear bath versions of the: American Coach Allegiance, Beaver Contessa, Country Coach Inspire, Fleetwood Revolution, Holiday Rambler Scepter, Monaco Camelot, Newmar Dutch Aire, (and would be too a Tiffin Allegro Bus if they choose to come out with a rear bath plan).

We would be most grateful to hear from any of you (as briefly as you like) why you might consider Tiffin the best choice to make, or equally why others on the list might be poor choices. As well as product and service matters, given the current state of the RV industry and prospectively the broader economy, we are also naturally concerned about the financial health and business stability of some of today's participants.

Many thanks for any input you can share with us.

Hugh & Michelle Dickinson
Currently Nantucket 'wash ashores'
2009 42/43' rear bath DP TBD
1965 RHD Morris Minor Traveller
Two English Springer Spaniels, One Maine Coon cat

Hugh D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #2

My wife, Michelle,and I would very much welcome some advice from you wise Tiffin folks out there

Sometime during this next year, we intend to purchase new a 42/43' rear bath floorplan diesel pusher - which we will to drive East Coast to West Coast, do some touring along the way. and then live full time in the motorhome while we acquire some land and oversee the building of a new home there (probably in the Russian River Valley area, Sonoma County, Northern California). This could be a two year process.

A rear bath 42' Tiffin Phaeton is on the shortlist of motorhomes that seem to fit our needs. Also on our radar screen (in alphabetical order not preference ranking) are the 42/43' rear bath versions of the: American Coach Allegiance, Beaver Contessa, Country Coach Inspire, Fleetwood Revolution, Holiday Rambler Scepter, Monaco Camelot, Newmar Dutch Aire, (and would be too a Tiffin Allegro Bus if they choose to come out with a rear bath plan).

We would be most grateful to hear from any of you (as briefly as you like) why you might consider Tiffin the best choice to make, or equally why others on the list might be poor choices. As well as product and service matters, given the current state of the RV industry and prospectively the broader economy, we are also naturally concerned about the financial health and business stability of some of today's participants.

Many thanks for any input you can share with us.

Hugh & Michelle Dickinson
Currently Nantucket 'wash ashores'
2009 42/43' rear bath DP TBD
1965 RHD Morris Minor Traveller
Two English Springer Spaniels, One Maine Coon cat

Old 10-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #3

Our next coach may be a Tiffin Phaeton or Bus, but we will limit ourselves to 40 ft. We like the QSH floor plan.

You might consider a Newmar Dutch Star 4317 floor plan as it has a nice bath and 1/2 plan and 2 private toilet rooms.
You can't go wrong with either of these brands.
LV Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hugh,

I think you'll find that the top two selling DPs by a wide margin are the Phaeton and the Allegro Bus. (I know, Marathon, Newell, and Liberty don't sell many but I would take one if I could afford it.) I'd love to have the Phaeton bath and a half, but ... My guess it that the Allegro Bus will have a bath and a half out before long. This is our first coach. We did look at hundreds over a several year period before we bought and looked at many since we bought. I don't think you'll find anyone who backs them better than Bob Tiffin.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #5

Hi Hugh & Michelle,
We bought a 2009 Phaeton 40QTH after alot of
research for the past 3 years. We know we made the right choice, we love it. Being it is brand new we have had some very minor problems and the Tiffin Co. has been great in helping resolve all of them. Bob Tiffin certainly lives
up to his reputation of standing behind his product. My husband actually spoke directly with him on the phone when we were in the process of ordering our Phaeton. You won't go wrong with a Tiffin product. Good Luck!
DiRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
On the TiffinRVNetwork someone has mentioned they have seen the bath and a half Allegro Bus floorplan. I talked with Bob Tiffin at the Hershey show and he alluded as to the soon to be here bath and a half Bus.

Oh, by the way, it's supposed to be a front galley as well.

Everything is rumor until you verify yourself!!!
Old 10-12-2008, 06:50 PM   #7

Hello Hugh & Michelle. As you know, there are many choices out there for rv's. We purchased our Tiffin product,a 2005 Bus, based on Bob Tiffins reputation for customer service. He has instilled customer service in his sons and it shows. This company really goes above and beyond to satisfy sometimes rediculous demands to satisfy a customer. I have not heard of any company, other than Tiffin, that has an "open door policy" that is real. The whole company is like that. All rv's, for the most part, have the same products and these products all break. Fixing them with no squable is the biggest problem and thats what Tiffin does best. Yes I am biased, but honest. PM me if you end up deciding on a Tiffin product, and I will give you the name of an honest up-front dealer who gave us a price that we could not refuse. Good luck!
enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:57 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum, Hugh. I think you'll be very happy with either the Phaeton or the Allegro Bus. Much will boil down to the floorplan that you like best but both are great coaches.

We're on our second Tiffin now. After an Itasca Suncruiser we moved to an 2004 Allegro Bus 40DP. Had it for 3 years then moved up to our 2007 42QRP. They were both excellent coaches.

Interestingly enough, you are looking at a rear bath design. Whenever a floorplan is designed, there are bound to be compromises. You just can't have it all without stretching the thing to 60'. When we first heard that the rear bath designs were coming out we figured that they would be a big waste of space and not a very functional floorplan. Putting all your eggs into the "rear bath" basket and ignoring the rest of the coach.

But, just this last Friday we went to Kings Campers in Wausau, WI and looked over a 42QBH Phaeton with the rear bath. It had just arrived so we took a look. WE were actually quite impressed and felt this was a very good floorplan. It did not have the compromises we expected.

I did a review of this coach and took lots of pictures. You can view it at www.rvcruzer.com and I also have the latest Tiffin price sheets posted on that site as well.

Tiffin does plan on introducing a rear bath Allegro Bus as well but I don't have any details on it as of yet. I have heard it will be a front kitchen design but I hope that is not the case. I'd much prefer the floorplan of the 42QBH Phaeton over a front kitchen layout. I believe that the target date for the rear bath Allegro Bus is January of 2009.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:21 AM   #9

Gentlemen, thank you all very much for your extremely helpful comments and advice. I think it's eventually going to come down to a choice between Tiffin and Newmar. On service availiblity/quality, I do have a concern with either, however, regarding the great distance from their two plants given that the coach wold be stationed in Northern California and would seldom 'willingly' be comong back over the Continental Divide. Is that an acceptable risk to take, do you think?...Hugh
Old 10-15-2008, 09:40 AM   #10

I would agree on your two choices. They are the same ones we were down to except we also had a Damon in the mix, but it quickly went away due to the dealer being, well, not so great. I wouldn't worry about having to go back to Indiana or Red Bay for service. We have no plan to go there (Red Bay) unless we're near by and want to take a tour etc. I choose my local dealer because (among other reasons)they have a good service dept.

What swayed us to Tiffin (other than the well known customer service) was that my lovely wife really liked the decorating and quality of the furnishings. Some brands are really tacky, others are bland as milktoast. Tiffin was the right mix of classy and tastefull. Our opinion...
Gouda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:57 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

One thing about Tiffin is that they are not locked into having to have warranty work done at an "official" Tiffin dealer. If you have a warranty issue and don't have confidence in your nearby dealer, or your dealer is too far away, but there's a good reputable non-Tiffin dealer nearby that you'd like to go to just call Tiffin. Bob just wants it fixed and for you to be a satisfied customer so he's been known to authorize warranty repairs at other dealerships quite frequently.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:27 AM   #12

I know this is by no means scientific. However, I thought some of you who have viewed or contributed to this topic over the past two weeks might be interested to see a simple consolidated nose count of the number of positive and, in a few cases, negative comments posted on the Eve Community and Yahoo Groups regarding the various competitors/products my wife and I have under consideration:

American Coach (11 positive, 1 negative); Country Coach (13+, 0-); Fleetwood (3+, 2-); Monaco (7+, 0-); Newmar (6+, 1-), Tiffin (35+, 2-)

It is notable that Tiffin has a clear lead in owner 'votes', but maybe this just reflects the relative composition of the various owner groups. Don't know. Any comments or interpretation most welcome....Hugh
Old 11-01-2008, 03:39 AM   #13

Morning Hugh, I can give you a little different perspective on most of these units, since I have sold and was factory trained/certified on Country Coach, Monaco, Fleetwood, American, Newmar, Tiffin, and Winnebago. The best chassis is of course the Dynamax by Country Coach, followed by the Powerglide and Roadmaster. The best built (wall conntruction, roof, wiring, cabinets, etc.) is by far ANY Tiffin. The Allegro Gas unit has the same construction for the most part as a Zepher. The support provided Techs, Salespeople, and customers is far better from Tiffin than any of the others. Finnaly, the Tiddin products offer more value for the initial money and have a higher trade-in value than the others.

Hope this helps. Happy Rving.

2009 Phaeton 40QTH
Wade & Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:07 PM   #14

Wow Wade! makes me feel like we made the right choice when we selected our Phaeton.

wagon217 is offline   Reply With Quote