Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2015, 07:04 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to TXwannabe
Phaeton Emergency Window?

DW & I recently attended Escapees Boot Camp in Tucson, and one of the seminars was by Mac the Fire Guy, who did an excellent job of scaring the you-know-what out of us regarding personal and fire safety (just doing his job, IMHO). He discussed a recent accident where some RVs died because their emergency window was stuck shut & how everyone should have an emergency plan. We came back to our coach that evening, and I discovered that our bedroom window was stuck shut too!
He said that some emergency windows are breakaway and some are hinged. Before I try to pry our window open (carefully), I'd hate to learn the hard way that mine is breakaway and meant to open once, then crash to the ground, needing to be replaced.
Anyone know whether an '05 Phaeton 40QDH has hinged or breakaway windows?
TXwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2015, 10:19 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Just to be sure, why don't you call Tiffin first thing Monday AM and ask them? I believe it is a swing out but ask Tiffin.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:03 AM   #3

I too believe it's a swing out. My 2008 Bus had swing outs, as does the 2013. To be totally safe, that call to Tiffin wouldn't hurt.

Have you agitated the powder in the fire extinguisher next to the door lately? I usually check the windows and the extinguisher at the same time.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:18 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
The window swings up, BTW just enough to get your propane reefer out, and bring your new residential reefer in!
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:17 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin View Post
The window swings up, BTW just enough to get your propane reefer out, and bring your new residential reefer in!
That the LR window, not the BR window.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:52 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to TXwannabe
Window Update

Well, turns out both BR & LR windows are indeed hinged, and after a little persuasion with a putty knife, both now open as they should. I would guess it might be the first time they have been open in several years, and possibly the first time since the coach left Red Bay!
TXwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #7

Our 2007 42 bus has swing ups in the bedroom and in the living area.A close friend of ours had to break a window out to escape a fire and almost bleed to death from a cut on his leg. If you don,t have swing ups. you can replace them at a very good price,verses the alternative ! Richard in the glass shop at Lazy Days just replaced ours and did agreat job !!!
patayers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window