RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Phaeton Tripod Coax Open

Our Phaeton has a connection marked "tripod" in the electric bay and in the entertainment cabinet panel. I needed to use a Slimline dish on a tripod due to overhead foliage but it wouldn't work. (I aligned it using my Tracker meter and got good levels and locks.) Using an ohmmeter I checked the coach wiring for a short but didn't find one. I then shorted out a piece of coax (center to shield) and looked for continuity, but it still read open. Has anyone had this problem in a Tiffin product?

I assume that there is a feed-through double-female connector at each end and a span of coax connecting the two inside the coach. My guess is that one of the connectors has either vibrated off or has broken. It looks like the bay end will be fairly easy to disassemble and inspect. Does anyone know how difficult it is to take the entertainment cabinet panel loose for inspection? I'm expecting a tangle of coax back there.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Check for an A/B switch somewhere and switch it. Mine was above the driver's seat in the cabinet, but I have no idea where it would be in a Phaeton.

reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Hummm... I also suspect that you have an open cable somewhere. I use my tripod for our internet modem. Have you tried to connect to tv?

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:56 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Still Looking

I haven't found an A/B switch yet, but I'll keep looking. It will have to come out - I don't know of any that will pass DirecTV HD SWM. If I were doing it I would have put the A/B switch in the cabinet, since both the original rooftop satellite and the tripod have an easy connection point there.

My TV connects HD signals (Blue Ray and DirecTV) via a wireless HDMI connection by Actiontec. Cable and OTA antenna go to the TVs via a switch box to select sources for the main TV, TV2 and VCR (remember those?). Both work fine over the original coax connection.

I haven't converted the bedroom TV to HD yet, but it's on my list. For now it only gets cable and antenna.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:40 AM   #5

Hi Lanerd
Could you provide some detail about using the tripod connection for your internet modem?What is providing the feed to the modem?
Old 10-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you sure you tested the right connection in the entainrment center?

That is suspect #1.. Suspect #2 depends on the answer to a question.

IS there also a connector marked "park cable" or "Cable Inlet"

IF you have a separate "Cable" inlet then check to make sure they did not mis-wire them and run the "Tripod" cable to the "Cable" jack. If they did, re-do it correct (short story follows)

IF there is no separate cable in jack.. Then it may be hooked to teh CABLE terminal on your multi-switch or antenna/cable switch.

So "Mis-wired" is suspect #2

End pulled off cable (Those crimp on connectors suck) is #3

Broken (or missing) cable #4

The story.. I could not get things to work on my TV when I tried to feed say DVD over via line in,, Oh sound worked but no video...

Finally got a look at the connectors.. The sound leads were properly connected, the Video lead however was connected to VIDEO OUT.. Moved it, worked fine after that.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:57 PM   #7

After you check for reversed leads and find that your cable is still "open", you will probably have to run a new cable.

I had a similar situation with my pre wired Travler. When I went to convert to SWM, only 3 of the 4 cables worked. I had to run another one and a spare through the AC duct. Im guessing that the fact that the cable entrance on the roof is directly over the duct is no accident.

My point being that it's not uncommon for TMH to sever a cable.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:04 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Cruddy Connector

Just an update - I pulled the cover off the junction box in the electrical bay and found the Sat cable just hanging there. I removed the empty connector from the fitting and discovered it was a screw-on coax fitting, which is worse than the crummy crimp-on type. I cut an inch off the cable, stripped it appropriately, and applied a compression connector. I haven't tested it yet but will do so either tomorrow or our next trip (we're going home the next day). I'll post those results when available.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:18 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
New Connector Fixed It

I finally got around to testing the repaired satellite house wiring. The new connector in the electrical bay did the trick - I now have satellite signal lock at the panel in the entertainment center. I hope I don't have to use the tripod anytime soon, but it's nice to know it works if we need it.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:50 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
WOW, that was kind of far down my list, but at least it was on it.

I do not know,, I have better luck with the screw on's than I do the crimp ons.. I mean Ah..Ah..Ah..Ah..CHOO and you need to replace those crimp ons they just blew off. (I keep a stock of compresson fittings, seems you do too, those,,, Well I did manage to pull one off, or rather my wife did, but she had to use power tools.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:23 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankus View Post
Hi Lanerd
Could you provide some detail about using the tripod connection for your internet modem?What is providing the feed to the modem?
Sorry, it took me so long to get back to you, but the post kinda disappeared until today.

To answer your question, our park is wired for Charter cable tv...which also includes internet service. Plugged an RG6 into the Charter cable outlet and ran it over to my "Tripod" connector in the wet bay. There is also a "Cable" connector there too. I tried the Cable connector first, but could not get a signal on the Charter provided modem. Switched over the outside cable to Tripod and connected the inside Tripod cable to the modem and that worked. Not sure why the Cable didn't. In any case, got a cheap wifi router from Walmart and connected it to the modem and now we have our own internet connection for my lap top and printer and my DW's iPad and our two iPhones.

Ron

lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote