Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #1

Phaeton -will a washer/dryer fit through the door?

just currious if a washer and dryer will fit through the Phaeton door or if it has to go through the windshield opening?
Drop In is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop In View Post
just currious if a washer and dryer will fit through the Phaeton door or if it has to go through the windshield opening?
We had a Splendide installed last year and they brought it in through the door.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:03 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
He's asking about a different but separate washer appliance and the accompanying Dryer unit. If your units are designated for RV installation, a online dimension spec. might be available. Doubt if handle protrusion is accounted for in the dims. [see below]

From my experience, I offer the following:

I fashioned a carpeted ramp at the entry door and "slide" the appliance up on it's side. Far safer than carrying thru a tight opening on narrow steps. Had to remove washer door handle for fit. Found door screws were "floating" type ie, they merely bolt into a pair of "loose" 2 inch backer plates not secured to the body of the appliance. Once screws were "out" the backer plate fell freely away into the innerds of chassis. Had to dig around to find them. A heavy-duty rare earth magnet would have held them inplace had I know in advance.

Remember the entire route to the closet needs to be freed-up. I had to remove pantry doors and the bedroom dresser frame completely for my unit. Bedroom pocket door only allowed a scant 1/2" clearance [had to pad both door edge & opposite jamb in order to prevent scuffing of woodwork.

Had to fashion a wheeled dolly to safely move the heavy appliance past bath and into position.A 2-person job, able bodied. Heavy lifting is needed. I made cribbage in front of cabinet and shimmed it upward to final elevation height. Then simply slide it forward over the frame crossrail.

Word-of-advice: place a fiberglass overflow tray with drain line under the washer. Screw it into closet plywood deck & caulk screw penetrations. Slide washer in & lastly, install front dam of overflow tray. If dryer needs thru-wall vent, scope-out path without sharp bends. I rotozipped directly to rear between ladder rungs.[be mindful for metal plates for ladder mounting.]
Old 03-10-2010, 04:34 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop In View Post

A combination washer/dryer is a pain in the butt to run. Shakes the entire motorhome. I would just use the facilities at the camp or rv park. Much quicker and use the space where the washer was for something else.
brandontext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:41 PM   #5

While I have no experience with washers and dryers....our refrig was swapped in/out thru the window behind the sofa on drivers side last may as it was larger dimensions than the 2003 phaeton door.
wkdwitch is offline   Reply With Quote