Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2019, 07:18 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
Cool Picked up our brand new Open Road 32 SA

Well we picked up our new Tiffin Open Road 32 SA motor home and already experienced issues on day one of owning it. On day one the rear camera quit working so our dealer is having a new camera drop shipped to our house. On day two while pushing the couch extension back in we noticed a big scratch on the floor running across two floor tiles and then found a fairly large bolt and nut under the couch extension. It's not our first rodeo so I was expecting to have to deal with some issues but damn can't these rv manufacturers get on the quality band wagon. We had two Newmars one new and one used and we went through the same thing with the new Newmar. That said we love our new motorhome and ask the good lord to give us the patience to deal with these issues as they present themselves to us. PS. Also have it in the shop to start the process of trying to improve the handling of this bucking bronco. By the way in the near future when I get my motor home out of the shop I will be posting a picture of our new Open Road 32 SA to replace my Newmar that is currently being shown.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2019, 09:59 PM   #2

Yeah it will all work out.

Looks like you also need to update your signature,
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 04:33 AM   #3

Bought a 2012 32CA with 6,400 miles on it in 2014. Have had a lot of small repairs over the years we've had it and replaced tires last year. Unit has 32,000 miles on it now. Following suspension upgrades - steering-plus; additional sway-bar in rear and track bar; larger sway-bar up front; and up graded shocks. I was able to get same guy to do all the work - Rally's "R" Us - Welcome Home - Chip goes to a lot of rallies and does all the work at your campsite. Dave
Old 10-11-2019, 04:40 AM   #4

Congrads on the 32 SA great coach.

I would do the following suspension upgrades. Koni shocks, RM F and additional rear SB, Rear Trac bar, Safe T Plus. Sumo Springs, PS I have an extra set if interested.
** Tire pressure **
F- 82 psi
R- 80 psi
The ride is greatly improved with this pressure and is rated for gross axle weight for the 24K chassis.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:53 AM   #5

we reduced air pressure, as mentioned, and it helped...
but our big improvement was at bay diesel... in red bay...
we were letting them do first maintenance...

i started asking owner about future upgrades on suspension... and he quizzed me and finally told me " it sounds like you are wandering.... have you had it aligned?"

we had not... he did the alignment,,, and it made a world of difference on the trip home...

check alignment!!
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:13 AM   #6

Our 32SA has a stock suspension other than the factory installed Sumos and it drives and handles fine. We crossed the Great Plains twice this year and encountered heavy winds with no drama; crossing the Llano Estacado we had quite heavy winds from the south hitting us broadside. Yeah, I had to, you know, drive the thing, sure.

No maybe a 34 foot Bounder on a 22K chassis with a 208" wheelbase and a big bustle overhang would have a problem. But I think the 24K chassis and 228" wheelbase of the 32SA are very beneficial.

I think the biggest problem with the coach is the ride on rough roads and I doubt anything short of Liquid Springs will help significantly, if that. When I read about people changing shocks and saying it made a day and night difference I'm skeptical.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:55 AM   #7

We have a 2015 32SA which we did the same upgrades too and did add the KONI FSP shock, front and rear. They did make a big difference in rolling. I am responding to Pete's post of 82psi and 80 psi for tire pressure. That seems shockingly low, we run at 100psi. That is the recommendation from our Tiffin Service Dept.
julie pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:03 AM   #8

I had a Winnebago with a Ford chassis and doing the cheap handling fix (CHF) corrected a lot of the roll problems.

Lloyd and Jann
Winger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie pratt View Post
I am responding to Pete's post of 82psi and 80 psi for tire pressure. That seems shockingly low, we run at 100psi. That is the recommendation from our Tiffin Service Dept.
I think you're getting a bum steer. I suggest you weigh your coach and go by Michelin's recommendation for the proper pressure for the load on the tires. You'll probably come out around 75-85 psi.

I know my weight on each axle but not each tire so I add an extra 10 psi fudge factor over figuring half the load on each side and run 85. That might be too cautious.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:11 PM   #10

We purchased a 2019 32Sa in April and the ride and handling was not acceptable to us, especially here in the PNW and mountainous and curvy roads. We decided to do a big suspension upgrade and replaced front sway br with 1/3/4" bar, added 2 forward facing sway bars on the rear along with a rear trac unit, quad koni shocks and a saf-t-plus steering stabilizer. We have driven some nasty mountain road this summer along with coast hi way in Oregon - no more swaying, bouncing, porpoising and it now handles like it should. A bit pricey, but well worth it. Also did a 4 corner weight (tires now set to 88 psi all around) and did an alignment. Very happy with our unit, although we did have minor issues from the get go - main slide wold not completely close and they changed the hydraulic solenoid, before we left. About a month later, the Kwikee steps died in he "in" position, and had controller unit replaced. Then had an ice with the laundry drawer not staying close which turned out to be a bad rail that was fixed along with the bed lift strut that stuck in the open position and popped off the lower mount when closing. Our dealer, Beaver Coach Sales, has been very responsive in warranty repairs. Suspension work was done by Henderson's Line up, in Grants Pass, Or - highly recommend them.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie pratt View Post
We have a 2015 32SA which we did the same upgrades too and did add the KONI FSP shock, front and rear. They did make a big difference in rolling. I am responding to Pete's post of 82psi and 80 psi for tire pressure. That seems shockingly low, we run at 100psi. That is the recommendation from our Tiffin Service Dept.
Hi Julie, did you have the coach weighed when loaded? This would allow you to reference the Micheline tire chart for optimum tire pressure.
What reference is your service department using for tire pressure?
I weighed my coach then referenced the Micheline tire chart for recommended tire pressure.
September Front axle 8100 lbs Rear axle 14180 lbs. My 24 K chassis rates the F axle @ 9000lbs R axle 15500. My setting of 82 psi F and 80 psi R is set to near maximum axel load pressure recommended by Micheline.

https://www.michelinrvtires.com/refe...tion-tables/#/
Old 10-12-2019, 08:34 AM   #12

Which safe t plus are you, using the blue one or the tan one. I have a 32 CA.
Thanks Chuck
Old 10-21-2019, 06:58 PM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cseidel View Post
Which safe t plus are you, using the blue one or the tan one. I have a 32 CA.
Thanks Chuck

The 32 SA uses the WHITE ONE for a 34 ft long coach. Just had mine installed at Tiffin Rally in WV.

Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 05:07 AM   #14

I have the Blue one in my 32 SA. The 32 SA measures a little over 35 ' cap to cap plus ladder.