Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2008, 04:42 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
The rv industry can,t be in too bad shape. Called Tiffin today and told them I need a new coach and could be in the red bay area this friday. I have an 03 Newmar mountain aire and was ready for something newer. I will be heading to decatur because I was told NO. Nobody would be around. I told the girl I have very limited time to travel and was told NO again. Fleetwood is sending someone to turn the lights on, they said No Problem. I cant believe it!
FOLEYMECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2008, 04:42 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
The rv industry can,t be in too bad shape. Called Tiffin today and told them I need a new coach and could be in the red bay area this friday. I have an 03 Newmar mountain aire and was ready for something newer. I will be heading to decatur because I was told NO. Nobody would be around. I told the girl I have very limited time to travel and was told NO again. Fleetwood is sending someone to turn the lights on, they said No Problem. I cant believe it!
Old 12-30-2008, 07:40 PM   #3

Maybe it being the holiday season they don't have anyone available. If that is not acceptable then I would definitely look at another manufacturer.
I don't own a motorhome yet but intend to in the near future. Rather dismayed that it is accepted no matter how much you pay or which manufacturer you choose the motorhome will have issues and need work. My web searching so far has shown Tiffin and Newell motorhomes seem to be the only ones where no customer has said their problems were not resolved. That cuts my choice of motorhome manufacturers down to two. The Fleetwoods I've been inside don't seem to have the same quality as a Tiffin in the same price range. With that said if you have to have it now and Fleetwood fills the bill then I hope it works out well for you.
jstlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:18 PM   #4

I think if you'll check you'll find that you cannot ever buy a Tiffin from the factory. Their policy has always been to deal only through their dealers. Once they have ordered it, I believe you can watch it being made at the factory, or pick it up there if you insist. However you will miss out on a lot of Tiffin training that a dealer can and must provide unless you absolutely refuse.

On the "closed" issue, the entire facility is closed until January 5th. Closed means just that, NO ONE THERE, except perhaps security. How would you like it if the boss gave you a vacation and then insisted you had to come in to deal with a customer? And then how about the pickup issues before you leave the factory? Should they also keep parts people, fabricators, painters, technicians there because you might want to purchase. Oh yeah, how about heat, lights, admin for delivery papers and so forth. If you made a buy decision on such a spur of the moment and want IMMEDIATE service, I'd say they were right in refusing you. I doubt you'd ever be happy with them.

John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:19 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FOLEYMECH,
The college that I taught at for over 32 years closed during the Christmas holidays. You couldn't call up then and immediately start a course. Tiffin doesn't sell out of Red Bay. I'll bet there are some Tiffin dealers open (maybe not tomorrow) that can & will accommodate you. The local dealer here is closed for the holidays. Not just for Tiffin but for all the brands they carry. Happy New Year!!
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:24 AM   #6
paz

We were in Red Bay in the fall, and the factory was shut down several days a week at that time. Even when there were no motorhomes being built, however, there were limited operations going on and there were factory tours every day whether they were building motorhomes or not.

That being said, shutting down for the holidays is different from being shut down for lack of orders. When they are shut down for the holidays, the lights are out and the doors are locked and no one is there. Tiffin is a family oriented company and I doubt if they would interrupt an employee's time with family to come in and unlock the doors for a tour for someone who may or may not buy a motorhome from them. As several others have said, Tiffin does NOT sell directly from the factory, so I am assuming you just want a tour and to see some of the models.

You certainly have the right to buy from whomever you please and from whomever meets your schedule, but Tiffin customer satisfaction is better than anyone else I know. I urge you to give them another chance. If you just want to see the models and floorplans, maybe you can find a dealer or two with a couple of models in stock who is open during your limited schedule.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FOLEYMECH,

You may wish to take a look at the latest news in the Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum before make any long lasting decision.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
You got that right Jim. If they hit the switch for the lights at that plant they might not work.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Me thinks your right.

From jonelsr post: http://www.pe.com/business/loc...twood01.399f479.html
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The RV maker's stock is worth about a dime per share, and its market capitalization has dipped to $7.6 million, too low for the New York Stock Exchange, which will drop the company from its exchange Monday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kinda makes Fannie Mac's and Freddie Mac's stock look good.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
We have a contracting business in NJ, 17 years old. Our business just came off the best year in our history. Do you know why? You turn over every stone all of the time. Every rv manufacturer is in the same predicament. Tiffin never made it to be listed. I went to a Discovery rally 7 years ago and fleetwood was present taking care of any issue anyone had for free or very little cost. Tiffin never was listed on the stock exchange. Not such a bad thing, Do not judge people. Companies of such size have to tell investors how things are, truthfully. I am buying a new Rv, and the people that build these things mean a lot. If a Tiffin family member heard my phone call I think (SUE?) would be fired, In my company she would be. I do not care if the line was open, I wanted to see some product in all stages of build and disrepair. (my knuckles are bloody everyday). I think our country has serious a labor problem and some of you know what it is like when you take a hundred resumes. Two of them have any sense of what work is, one has a horrible background check. The one hired smashes a brand new service vehicle the third day on the job. I rest my case. The smaller companies will not tell you financial position because they do not have to. See if they will open their books to you. I am sure somebody was around the plant that day or could have been IF they value their job. If not I guess they do not.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
FOLEYMECH,

I'm sure you'll buy whatever you want. If you go to an Allegro Club rally you will find a Tiffin Motorhomes service truck there giving free service to any Tiffin coach registered that needs and asks for it. I have had reason to want to speak to Mr. Bob Tiffin on several occasions. Each time I called his office in Red Bay I got his voice mail. Each time I got his mail, he called me back within three minutes and resolved any issue that I had called to discuss with him to my satisfaction. Can you do that with Fleetwood? I did call during normal business hours. I don't call on weekends, holidays or any other time that I know they are closed. I don't try to call my dentist on the weekend or on holidays, his office is closed. Same for my doctor, vet, and a bunch of other people I do business with.

Congratulations on you successful business year for 2008. I hope you do even better this year.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:39 AM   #12
CLM

FOLEYMECH
I think you should just go buy a Fleetwood and let their forum(if they have one)get all your negative opinions! I was distressed to open my daily digest and find all your negative remarks. This a forum where Tiffin owners and non-Tiffin owners help each other; not trash Tiffin.
If you can't say something nice, go away.
We love our Tiffin motor homes and the company.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:48 PM   #13

Well stated CLM !! I hope FOLEYMECH does buy SOB (some OTHER brand).
Old 01-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hey, folks....let's not get too personal.

I think everyone rightfully is very passionate about their rigs and believes their brand of motorhome is the best. We all can express our opinions, but please, let's refrain from the negative comments and bashing each other.

It's just like "Ford vs. Chevy" debates. People have will always have different tastes, but that's the reason there are many brands out there to choose from.