Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2016, 12:35 PM   #1

Portable surge protector

I'm looking into purchasing a 50amp surge protector for my MH. One of the things that concerns me is theft. The protector has a metal pc. to attach a lock/cable, and I've seen the plastic housing that you can attach a lock to, but they don't appear to be that secure. I saw a post that said you can attach the plug in cable from your MH to the protector and attach a extension cord to the protector and into the pedestal. Leaving the protector locked in your cabinet and only having the extension cord exposed. Sounds like a reasonable idea. What kind of extension cord would you need? It would have to have the 4 prong male and female connection . Any thoughts or suggestion would be appreciated.
kayla44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2016, 12:49 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I ran a chain and padlock thru mine the first few times I used it, then just stopped bothering. Dont think there's a huge black market for RV surge protectors.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:57 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Works great. Run a 30 foot cable, same size as the coach cable , plugs into a PT50C. Extension is about 100 bucks, but you can take cord and PT50C with you if you trade up.

jim
viewfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:11 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
this link explains with pictures how I protect mine.
http://bit.ly/surgelock
Calliedo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:42 AM   #5

There is another running post about surge guard theft.

Nobody recall hearing of one being taken.

With the price of copper, I could image the power cord being worth more, to common theifs.

I haven't heard of them disappering either.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewfinder View Post
Works great. Run a 30 foot cable, same size as the coach cable , plugs into a PT50C. Extension is about 100 bucks, but you can take cord and PT50C with you if you trade up.

jim
Would you be able to tell me where you purchased the extension cord from?
kayla44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:17 PM   #7

Try these links; Amazon or Ebay
Gaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:22 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Amazon.. Camco 35feet (I think) 50 amp cord. Plugs into PT50C and it stays in the bin, run cord to hookup. If you ever need long run, just change positions and lock down surge at box.

jim
viewfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:53 AM   #9

I never like making any type of plug-in connection of the service cord in the bay, after seeing a connection catch fire laying on the ground. I was amazed at how much flame was created when it caught fire. I'm sure it overheated due to corroded connection or overload, but it probably would have sent a nice motorhome up in flames had it occurred in a bay since the people were not a home when it occurred. I have also seen a dog bone connection (50 to 30 amp) catch fire probably for the same reason.

I've been locking my surge protector with a heavy chain at the post for 6-7 years without incident or worry.
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:21 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
A lot of extension cords out there for 50 amp are not heavy enough wire and eventually burn. I would not use one unless I was certain. Some folks bought power cords from the Tiffin parts and made their own. Remember, loss of voltage happens on long runs. You can mount the portable unit inside the power bay by cutting the power cord and installing between the coach and pedestal. Better yet get a "permanent" unit and install it. You can always remove it if you sell the unit.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:50 AM   #11

I bought the two piece collar that one can put a lock on (needs to be extra long lock) from camping world. Works great it is metal with a black rubber coating. But I agree that its not likly to be stolen.
The Quince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:54 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you are worried about theft.. Go with a HARD WIRED (Progressive Industries HW-50c) type.. Out of sight, Out of reach of the thief and out of mind. Also no chance you will forget to plug it in for "Just one night" in a campground.. the night you need it the most of course.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:10 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Go with a hard wire unit that mounts in the cabinet and run your cord out to the pedestal. Lock the cabinet door and you're all set.
rver98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:21 PM   #14

10 years with the Progressive hanging on the power pole. We use a cable lock, not because we worry about being taken. That would be a concern of someone not used to RVing. Theft is not something that happens in RVing.

We use the cable lock to take the strain of the EMS off of the power pole receptacle, which is often worn.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote